Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
OviJohn
OviJohn

Re: Honda Power Unit

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:
Honda fan wrote: It is no exaggeration to say completely new."
did he used those exact words?
A member of Autosport forums, Muramasa, japanese native and fluent in english translated this as follow:

his quote part goes like this: "It wouldn't be too much to say that it will be brand-new PU (at Spa or sometime after summerbreak)"

PlatinumZealot

Honda fan wrote:Arai told to Japanese media. "We're planning to put new PU to the Belgium Grand Prix. It is no exaggeration to say completely new."

http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/moto ... /29/f1_93/(Japanese)
Thanks.

I still have a hunch the engine is gonna look like the Mercedes. In preseason when Arai was asked about it, he said they are two engine designs they have on the dyno. He said the engines are similar to the Mercedes. So the only thing that makes sense to me is the Spec-B engine has a Mercedes compressor on the front.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote::lol:

I think that housing is missing a an inner piece.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Never mind. The man is holding the turbo with the outlet facing him. The part facing the camera is where the bearing housing connects.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Facts Only
Facts Only

PlatinumZealot wrote:Never mind. The man is holding the turbo with the outlet facing him. The part facing the camera is where the bearing housing connects.
Its the other way round mate, that's the outlet facing us. You can see where the scroll enters at the back where the edge of the wheel is and the v-band detail for mating the tailpipe on the outlet edge closest to us.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

gruntguru
gruntguru

Looks like about a 900hp turbo. Or maybe he has small hands? 8)
je suis charlie

gruntguru
gruntguru

Not the best image but I would go with outlet facing us.

Such a long parallel bore to insert the wheel, heat shield and half the bearing housing would be very unusual.
je suis charlie

PlatinumZealot

Facts Only wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Never mind. The man is holding the turbo with the outlet facing him. The part facing the camera is where the bearing housing connects.
Its the other way round mate, that's the outlet facing us. You can see where the scroll enters at the back where the edge of the wheel is and the v-band detail for mating the tailpipe on the outlet edge closest to us.

I see the V-band flange - easy to assume it is for the down pipe like a normal performance turbo.. but..

I know I am defying what seems obvious. It is hard to tell because the housing is so unusual but I expected a radiused edge going into the diffuser section. Instead, coming from the circumferential nozzle closer to us there is what seems to be a sharp edge... That means If you put in the turbine wheel there is almost a fully open path to the exit... that is just strange if you ask me. Also the exducer of the wheel would have to be huuuuge!! Like 100mm perhaps? Use that Japanese man's middle finger as a gauge, then measure the length of your middle finger..so >> 100mm exducer.. I know there is MGUH-H to make up for turbo lag but that is some serious tail pipe!

Call me crazy but my gut feeling is that the central cartridge connects with the V-band then the other side is where the diffuser is fixed in to place...

I know the heat shield for the central section needs a seat.. but I am assuming that this heat shield is a very special design...

Let's see..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

OK... I realize something.. The wheel profile is what makes the difference... It simply has a very different wheel profile. A very axial wheel profile.. so a large radius is not needed at that edge. The expansion takes place in the wheel anyways.

So yes the exit is facing the camera.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sasha
Sasha

Axial flow turbine.

I thought everybody knew that?
Last edited by Sasha on 31 Jul 2015, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Its not really strange, not in current F1 terms anyway. It looks incredibly similar to the other (2014) turbine housings I have seen first hand.

As with the ones I have seen, you are looking at a wheel size of around a Ø100mm based on the size of the tailpipe entry and the fact that the mass of anything bigger becomes difficult to manage.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

piast9
piast9

Do You really think that Honda have shown real parts at these photos / video? I seriously doubt it. In my opinion what we see is some turbocharger. Maybe one of the designs that were tested years ago or a real part but from another application.

dmjunqueira

As mentioned earlier on the thread, the same part is shown on minute 47, but from another angle:

Edis
Edis

Sasha wrote:Axial flow turbine.

I thought everybody new that?
The picture shows a fairly standard stainless turbine housing for a radial turbine, with V-band clamp connection.

The first picture shows the outlet side connecting to the exhaust pipe, the second picture shows the side connecting to the heat shield/bearing housing (using the screws pictured and plates not pictured).

FW17

So there is no wastegate on the housing; does Honda run with a wastegate?

Also looking at the data from the Canadian GP at 31.3 min

There is a very smooth transition from 3.65 bar to 1.5 bar turbo speed 111K to 60K without spike which would be expected during the downshift. How does this work?

Also the data shows the fuel flow at above 101KG/Hr :D