Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
r101
r101

Re: Honda Power Unit

Wazari wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 02:22
carisi2k wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 01:22
What is your sprinkler patent? As someone who is currently working on a watering system for my fathers garden that sounds interesting.
That patent was obtained over 35 years ago and has long expired. It was a type of impact sprinkler head.

Back on topic, I think that 980 HP is being very optimistic at this time. Good or bad, Honda has taken a very aggressive and innovative approach to 2018. The overall architecture remains the same but big changes in the intake and combustion process should be forthcoming as well as a MGU-H unit. Obviously the goal is to surpass Mercedes and while difficult, not impossible. I think a more realistic number would be 980 HP by mid-season.
Wazari-san, just wondering of your opinion, how much do you think people at Renault know of engine concepts of its' competitors after signing Budkowski? How much did FIA actually see of small details in engine design?

Wouter

Wazari wrote:

I think that 980 HP is being very optimistic at this time. Good or bad, Honda has taken a very aggressive and innovative approach to 2018. The overall architecture remains the same but big changes in the intake and combustion process should be forthcoming as well as a MGU-H unit. I think a more realistic number would be 980 HP by mid-season.
Wazari, thank you for all your information.
Do you know if the first engine at the start of the saison already has " big changes in the intake and combustion process should be forthcoming as well as a MGU-H unit"? And do you know how much HP they start the saison with?
The Power of Dreams!

G'dayBruce
G'dayBruce

r101 wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 03:44
Wazari-san, just wondering of your opinion, how much do you think people at Renault know of engine concepts of its' competitors after signing Budkowski? How much did FIA actually see of small details in engine design?
Been wondering this myself. Personally I think it stinks and I imagine all other teams feel the same way. I won't be at all surprised to see the Renault team mixing it up in the top 3 or 4 this year, for one reason or another...perhaps not always entirely honourable reasons at that...

godlameroso

I think Mercedes is still the team and power unit to beat, even if their advantage shrinks every year. 980hp by mid season would have Honda on par with everyone else.

As far as reliability, it won't be the same as 2017, and even if it is, if the power is there, they can add reliability (although I don't think it'll be much of an issue). I think having the chassis built around the power unit makes it easier, but not easy, to change things should they become a problem.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

I wonder what they will do with the mgu-h and will they keep cog and weight advantage.

PlatinumZealot

Same architecture.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wazari

r101 wrote:

I personally don't like it. They seem to be vague as to his "official" start date and that he will not be part of the technical side. Well, we all know how that goes......... If he doesn't start until the new PU formula starts then I guess that makes it more palatable but still.......... The FIA tears down up everything. They know all the small details.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wazari

Wouter wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 11:22
Wazari wrote:

I think that 980 HP is being very optimistic at this time. Good or bad, Honda has taken a very aggressive and innovative approach to 2018. The overall architecture remains the same but big changes in the intake and combustion process should be forthcoming as well as a MGU-H unit. I think a more realistic number would be 980 HP by mid-season.
Do you know if the first engine at the start of the saison already has " big changes in the intake and combustion process should be forthcoming as well as a MGU-H unit"? And do you know how much HP they start the saison with?
I believe the changes will come in three stages with the first already have been test since mid season last year. I think this will be the PU to start the season. I also think they implement two major changes with each PU change. At least that's the plan from what I hear. I don't know what the HP will be at Australia.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wouter

Wouter wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 11:22
Wazari wrote:
I believe the changes will come in three stages with the first already have been test since mid season last year. I think this will be the PU to start the season. I also think they implement two major changes with each PU change. At least that's the plan from what I hear. I don't know what the HP will be at Australia.
Thank you very much Wazari.
The Power of Dreams!

r101
r101

Wazari wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 18:21
r101 wrote:

I personally don't like it. They seem to be vague as to his "official" start date and that he will not be part of the technical side. Well, we all know how that goes......... If he doesn't start until the new PU formula starts then I guess that makes it more palatable but still.......... The FIA tears down up everything. They know all the small details.
Thank you very much for your answer.

So it seems that there is a chance (however slight it may be) that Renault knew all the details of Mercedes, Ferrari and Honda engines (let us assume those were some crude 2018 alpha versions, and all previous) perhaps even before the deal with Budkowski was made public. That's some advantage!!

We all know you just cannot put everything you see elsewhere on your concept, but still..

lio007

Wazari wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 18:21
r101 wrote:

I, personally, think it's a scandal. I mean you can't avoid that F1-engineers are switching camps, respectively Teams. But they can only bring the methods and little secrets from a single Team.
So it should be absolutely forbidden that a caliber like the Technical directory of the governing body can go to an F1-competing Team within that short period of time. How should anybody believe in the integrity and autonomy of the FIA when things like that are possible, in a Multi-billion $ business, its a farce. Whatever Abiteblabla says, it's hard to believe, they don't use Budkowskis knowledge about all the little secrets from various teams and engine manufacturers. If I'd be Renault, I'd do it.

Sorry for being offtopic.
=> So back on topic to the, hopefully succesful, Honda-PU.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Wazari would make an amazing politician.
He can write loads without actually saying anything at all.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Mudflap wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 22:07
Well he made it clear he wouldn't just blatantly reveal technical information... I think what he has said or posts from other members that he has "not disagreed with" have been valuable and personally, I'm grateful for any little input Wazari does have.
It's highly satisfying to the inner engineering fan getting these little insights and extrapolating from that our ideas on here.

Wazari

Mudflap wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 22:07
Thank you.

-- Honda Soichiro

godlameroso

I wish the other teams were half as willing to share what they do. None of them would admit they're using platinum or palladium catalysts in the fuel rail to "crack" the fuel.
Saishū kōnā