Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
henry

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Dr. Acula wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 17:13
henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 15:06
An interesting point. I based my understanding on the Honda implementation, which if I remember correctly worked separately from direct mode. I’ll maybe have another look at the article, but I don’t expect to see anything different.

Personally I don’t think your scheme would work. I have formed the opinion that the way the FIA enforces the energy transfer rules using the two sensors that are mandated means that the MGU-K cannot run continuously but must be cycled to make the energy leaving the K asynchronous with the energy entering the ES.

In your example if 120kW leaves the K and 120kW arrives at the ES “simultaneously” the assumption is that all the energy flowed from the K to the ES and it doesn’t matter what the route was.

Even if this were not the case you would not be able to send 120kW in your scheme because you have to cycle the H from receiving to sending. With equal cycles you’d pass 15kW in your scheme for a total flow of 105kW.

Of course this all depends on how they manage the K <> ES powerflows using the two sensors, and I don’t think we know.
The Rules say:
  • One Sensor is connected to measure all electrical energy into and out of the Energy Store
  • One Sensor is connected to measure all electrical energy into and out of the MGU-K
You're correct in this point that with this setup, they may not be able to distinguish where the energy is actually coming from.
But there is also an other rule, which let me believe the FIA can actually see way more of what is going on in a car then we often think.
8.4 Data acquisition :
8.4.1 To assist scrutineering, the FIA requires unlimited access to the following ECU information before, during and after any track session :
a) Application parameter configurations.
b) Logged data and events.
c) Real-time telemetry data and events.
Throughout the Event, the logging memory and events buffer may only be cleared by an FIA engineer.
The FIA must have the ability to connect to the ECU via a jump battery using an FIA laptop. The teams should make a jump battery available at all times during the Event.
The teams should transfer the real-time telemetry data and events on the FIA network as requested by, and in the format defined by, the FIA.
Prior to the race, the ECU data logger must be configured in such a way that allows logging of data for at least two hours and fifteen minutes without exceeding the size of the logger memory.
So as i understand it the FIA can see everthing a team can see in the telemetry. So i think the FIA has a pretty good understanding of how the energyflow actually looks like at any time.
That of course doesn't mean Honda for instance does it this way. But i personally don't think it would violate any rules splitting up the energy flow this way.

Also it's a thing of interpretation what the FIA means with "one Sensor" in my opinion. Is a Sensor with multiple measuring channels still just one Sensor? Because if you think of it, to measure the energy flow to the MGU-K properly you need to monitor all three electrical power connections. The MGU-K is made up of a 3-phase induction motor.

Yes, it's a lot of personall interpretation here, but isn't this something we see in F1 all the time. The double diffusor for instance was exactly that.
The sensor is one of the IVT range from Isabellenhuette https://www.isabellenhuette.de/en/preci ... vt-series/

It’s DC, and reports power and energy on the canbus to the FIA data logger, and anywhere else it’s needed. The MGU-K controller and MGU-K itself are downstream from the sensor and isolated by it. So it doesn’t matter what form the K takes only the D.C. supply to its controller matters for power and energy measurement.

My speculation on how the two sensors are used is in another thread. If you’re interested it starts around this post viewtopic.php?p=783861#p783861. You came into that thread after that discussion when the subject of the Ferrari twin batteries was raised.

I acknowledge that the FIA have access to a lot of logged data but I think that whenever they think teams might try to game measurements they specify the sensor locations. This is the case with the electrical power and also the fuel flow.

To be honest if it were allowable to send energy via the H simply by splitting the flows as you suggest I don’t think there would be any point in specifying the MJ limits.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

godlameroso

http://techdigest.jhuapl.edu/views/pdfs ... Wilson.pdf

"Since radicals are so important in the propagation of flames, yet are present in small amounts, we may properly wonder if flames cannot be influenced by manipulation of radical concentrations."

"It is possible, for example, to double the flame speed of the carbon-monoxide-oxygen flame by changing the water concentration from 0.1 % to 0.2 %. The water provides a source of OH and H radicals. This allows CO to be oxidized by the reaction CO + OH ~ CO2 + H, which is much faster than any set of reactions utilizing CO + O2 or CO + O. The OH is regenerated by the reaction H + O 2 ~ OH + 0 to permit a rapid chain reaction."
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Please do not start giving ideas to the four power unit manufacturers on how to CO+OH >CO2+H to influence flames and double the flame speed because they for sure will start injecting more water than fuel into their ‘pre-combustion chambers’ and then we will end up with cars not being able to get close behind another car because of after burner like flames out the exhaust pipe.

Big Tea

godlameroso wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 00:06

"Since radicals are so important in the propagation of flames, yet are present in small amounts, we may properly wonder if flames cannot be influenced by manipulation of radical concentrations."

"It is possible, for example, to double the flame speed of the carbon-monoxide-oxygen flame by changing the water concentration from 0.1 % to 0.2 %. The water provides a source of OH and H radicals. This allows CO to be oxidized by the reaction CO + OH ~ CO2 + H, which is much faster than any set of reactions utilizing CO + O2 or CO + O. The OH is regenerated by the reaction H + O 2 ~ OH + 0 to permit a rapid chain reaction."
If it was to get to the point where they can generate far more than they can use, would it be feasible to drive Electrolysis and 'store' Hydrogen and Oxygen then feed it back into the intake? As I was replied to previously, it is not oxygen that is the problem with chargers, but an unrestricted top up supply of hydrogen ...??
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Big Tea wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 18:07
godlameroso wrote:

If it was to get to the point where they can generate far more than they can use, would it be feasible to drive Electrolysis and 'store' Hydrogen and Oxygen then feed it back into the intake? As I was replied to previously, it is not oxygen that is the problem with chargers, but an unrestricted top up supply of hydrogen ...??
Far more radicals you mean?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

saviour stivala wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 13:51
Please do not start giving ideas to the four power unit manufacturers on how to CO+OH >CO2+H to influence flames and double the flame speed because they for sure will start injecting more water than fuel into their ‘pre-combustion chambers’ and then we will end up with cars not being able to get close behind another car because of after burner like flames out the exhaust pipe.
I realize that's a joke, yet what do you think the petrochemical companies are doing while tailoring the fuel to the power unit? Or rather how are they able to do it?
Saishū kōnā

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 18:29
To be honest if it were allowable to send energy via the H simply by splitting the flows as you suggest I don’t think there would be any point in specifying the MJ limits.
Well, you can ask the same question with the Honda solution. Honda doesn't split the energyflow, but they use both ways alternating. The endresult is the same, you don't run into the 2MJ limit.
Anyway, it would be intresting to see how the other manufacturer get around this problem. But i don't think they will show their ERS-telemetry as openly as Honda does it.

Big Tea

godlameroso wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 19:47
Big Tea wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 18:07
godlameroso wrote:

Far more radicals you mean?

https://pureenergycentre.com/hydrogen-engine/
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

henry

Dr. Acula wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 22:21
henry wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 18:29
Well, you can ask the same question with the Honda solution. Honda doesn't split the energyflow, but they use both ways alternating. The endresult is the same, you don't run into the 2MJ limit.
Anyway, it would be intresting to see how the other manufacturer get around this problem. But i don't think they will show their ERS-telemetry as openly as Honda does it.
My point is that you can’t split the flow 90/30, or any other combination that adds up to 120. The Honda method means the flow is always less than 120kW and the closer to 120kW you get the higher the duty cycle for the H and the ES.

I agree it would be interesting to see how, or if, the others do it. If the Merc’s H really does generate 90kW there may be no need for methods such as extra harvest.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

gandharva

Honda plans 2019 experiments in remaining races
Towards the end of the season, and as a preparation for next year, there will be opportunity that we can try something on the actual track. We want to do that kind of trial and error, using this opportunity in the second half of the season.
Good to read this. Had hoped they would have done more like this already, but on the other hand reliability was still somewhat of an isse, so they also needed to get some mileage on those aggregates.

GhostF1
GhostF1

gandharva wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 11:27
Honda plans 2019 experiments in remaining races
Towards the end of the season, and as a preparation for next year, there will be opportunity that we can try something on the actual track. We want to do that kind of trial and error, using this opportunity in the second half of the season.
Good to read this. Had hoped they would have done more like this already, but on the other hand reliability was still somewhat of an isse, so they also needed to get some mileage on those aggregates.
Really? Apart from the hiccup in Australia which they sorted straight away and then Pierre running into a low power issue when the Spec 2 was first introduced (which was later determined to be a mapping issue), I can't recall any major reliability issues?
Agreed, experimentation plan is pretty good to hear, I'm glad they are going for it!

godlameroso

You really have to wonder how they're making so much power out of such a small engine, and such a limited fuel supply.

The fuel flow rate is effectively ~133lph and you're limited to ~750cc injectors. To put this in perspective, the first thing you do when tuning a street car for boost is increase the fuel flow rate, which on a standard K series bearing Civic is around 140lph. The very first upgrade is a 350lph fuel pump, and bigger injectors, 750cc is actually on the low end for injectors, especially if you want to run E85.

That these engines output 800hp by themselves with such a limited fuel supply is truly mind boggling. I can honestly see where the money is being spent, just knowing what it costs to get to that figure without regulations. Not to mention, nothing I can ever build will ever last as long, or be as complex. I can also see why it takes a team of 100+ people to make significant headway.

I'm glad Honda is still willing to try new things, I hope the changes aren't too radical but just better engineered components.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

“Honda plans 2019 experiments in remaining races”. Honda are in a position (having nothing to lose) to do just that on track, but I am sure that all others are also doing just that in their dyno rooms, experimentation and developments never stops. Depending on how the remaining six race to the end develops between the top two contenders I will not be surprised to see a 2019 specification power unit being introduced in these last six/five races by one or both of the title contenders (teams).
Re the phenomenal ICE power outputs achieved at the maximum mandated fuel flow at maximum RPM (max power speed), in my opinion if the maximum fuel flow wasn’t mandated at the present maximum RPM (max power speed) these ICE’S will still be producing more power than at present because I am sure that they would have chosen to run at a much lower max power speed (max RPM) and in so doing eliminated a lot more power supping friction. Another thing, am I correct in believing that the current mandated maximum fuel flow is actually a shade higher than what the previous 2.4l NA V8’S were using.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

saviour stivala wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 08:03
Another thing, am I correct in believing that the current mandated maximum fuel flow is actually a shade higher than what the previous 2.4l NA V8’S were using.
surely not .....
even taking immediately previous NA V8s
NA used at least 130 kg/race in most races - look at the tankage volume
(Mercedes exaggeration has gone as high as 170 kg and they gave an NA efficiency of 29% for though Ferrari has said 32%)
NA ran very rich for best power via rpm over 16000 and somewhat rich for much of the race below 16000 for engine longevity

Shell said NA fuel had track-specific density ie did or didn't tankage allow weight saving via lower density fuel
of course the highest heating value specific to stoichiometric mass (or air mass) was the basis of this fuel tailoring

current fuel is presumably denser than NAs as fuel limits are specified as fuel mass not fuel volume

regarding rpm .....
the current engines friction is influenced by the unusually high ('boosted') cylinder pressures on the compression stroke
lower rpm would presumably require even higher 'boost' to give the same power so frictional power may not reduce

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The NA 3L V10 were using on average 170kg of fuel for a race distance, the NA 2.4L V8 were using 130/140kg for a race distance, the present 1.6l turbo hybrid is mandated at 105kg for a race distance. The fuel flow requirements of the present 1.6l turbo hybrid is slightly higher than what the NA 2.4L V8 were using. It is true that the NA engines needed to be ran at a richer fuel flow than the present 1.6l turbo does, fuel development and management/control tools developments made this possible without the engines damaging themselves. There is a difference/limits of how rich or lean up or down from the proper air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 which produces the strongest combustion possible one can operate with some degree of reliability, the lower one operates at the finer and more reliable the control tools need to be.