Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

nzjrs wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 23:43
saviour stivala wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 19:02
nzjrs wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 16:02

Citation required. You are the first person I have heard claiming this.
"Today 9 oct 2018 10:36, Honda not allowed to twek its engine upgrade in Japan" (before the start of the Japanese GP Honda were forced to revert back to their previous engine settings, even though thier request to make a change was approved by the FIA----The team had its request approved by the FIA's technical delegate. however, it is believed that they did not carry out the change exactly as it was requested).
My opinion: modifying or asking to modify the car to be able to go faster after qualifying is not how racing works.
Talking of Honda, they introduced an engine uopgrade in free practice in Russia, they found out it was not yet ready to race. they qualified with the upgraded engine in Japan and still they had work to do on it, they went to US gp with it modified still more, comes today Friyday in Mexico and they changed engine back to old specification. which means the upgraded engine is still not ready to race agter 3 GP'S.
Ok that's not a citation. Your opinion. Noted
‘Citation’:- a word or piece of writing taken from a written work. First part a name of source, date and time was provided unless I am misunderstanding you.
Second part was my personal opinion.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Snorked wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 01:30
The Japanese F1 sites reported that there was a difference in torque and thus it wasn't allowed to be run for the race.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/417792/2
you don't go asking too or trying to make your car go faster when in parc ferme, that's not how racing is done.

shingles
shingles

saviour stivala wrote:
Snorked wrote:
The Japanese F1 sites reported that there was a difference in torque and thus it wasn't allowed to be run for the race.

you don't go asking too or trying to make your car go faster when in parc ferme, that's not how racing is done.
LOL. Clearly you have never raced before. Every single racing car and driver will look for every single advantage. Honda at least asked. Think the other teams are not pushing the rules?

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

shingles wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 12:59
saviour stivala wrote:
Snorked wrote:

LOL. Clearly you have never raced before. Every single racing car and driver will look for every single advantage. Honda at least asked. Think the other teams are not pushing the rules?
Yes Honda at least asked, they actuall had to because the cars being in parc ferne they had no excess to them. and what happened after the were granted permission?.

subcritical71

nzjrs wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 16:02
saviour stivala wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:35
the FIA found out that Honda was applying things other than that which were agreed upon and permitted.
Citation required. You are the first person I have heard claiming this.
It was from Autosport on the 8th - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13925 ... weak-in-gp

And they even admitted in the article that they didn’t know why the change was disallowed and were waiting for word from the FIA.

PlatinumZealot

Who cares about that.
I am interested in those Spec 3b pistons!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Obviously to deal with detonation. If resonance is causing combustion instabilities, then maybe resonance has interesting effects on fuel atomization.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

interesting reads. Rolf Isermann:- engine modeling and modeling electronic management of internal combustion engine (springer). just a preview - with limited pages.

Engine article:- the influence of acoustic fuel induced by HRT on oscillation behavior of a single droplet.

Blackout

Got a front or a left hand view of the 2018 Honda engine, a pic that shows the compressor's outlet?

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Would like to see.

godlameroso

saviour stivala wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 10:57
interesting reads. Rolf Isermann:- engine modeling and modeling electronic management of internal combustion engine (springer). just a preview - with limited pages.

Engine article:- the influence of acoustic fuel induced by HRT on oscillation behavior of a single droplet.
"Further theoretical analysis reveals that the resonance frequency of a droplet has several modes, and when the acoustic frequency equals the droplet’s frequency, heightened droplet responses are observed with the maximum amplitude of the shape oscillation. The experimental results for different resonator cavity lengths, nozzle pressure ratios and droplet diameters confirm the non-linear nature of this problem, and this conclusion is in good agreement with theoretical analysis. Measurements by high speed camera have shown that the introduction of an acoustic field can greatly enhance droplet oscillation, which means with the use of an ultrasonic atomizer based on HRT(Hartmann Resonance Tube), the quality of atomization and combustion can be highly improved.
"

https://res.mdpi.com/energies/energies- ... tachment=1

I've seen plenty of people make videos using ultrasonic emitters to make gasoline mist.

Maybe these engines are like musical orchestra, and instead of a person playing a symphony it's software doing it. Maybe certain resonant frequencies can trigger certain free radicals in the combustion chain which causes these instabilities. But if the level of analysis within the manufacturers and the big petrochems is that tight-knit, it's a shame so little is mentioned to the public. I mean after 4 years of development we're still speculating a lot as to what exactly they're doing without so much as a concrete morsel. Only shots of the engine and statements made in passing that could hardly classify as a solid source.

Then again a lot of this information is on a need to know basis, and we don't need to know it.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

“I mean after 4 years of development we’re still speculating a lot as to ‘what exactly they’re doing’ without so much as a concrete morsel. Only shots of the engine and statements made in passing that could hardly classify as a solid source”. I don’t think there is a need for me to tell you how much I agree with all you said. As regards the subject of ‘tight secrecy as to what they are doing’. The other day what I regard as a VIP gentleman from on here in contact with me on a personal basis, while on the one side he referenced me to technical articles/right-ups as to what is being said as being done/used and also pointing me to pictures of engine, finally admitted that ‘nobody really knows or can tell what is going on’ after all have been said. and I thanked him for that.

Snorked
Snorked

Hino
Hino

godlameroso

This can only be seen as good news. Tighter cooperation between the fuel and lube supplier and the engine manufacturer can only make a better product in the end. The fuel companies have hardware and analysis techniques that would be very beneficial to the design of the combustion process, not to mention the fuel companies are not under any resource restrictments. Furthermore Exxon Mobil is bigger than both Red Bull and Honda combined, having access to their resources(super computers, analysis techniques, brains, etc.) certainly won't hurt them.
Saishū kōnā