Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

I've gone over the radio exchanges and I think it was an ERS issue, so nothing ICE modes could have helped.

He reported a hot engine and was told to avoid recharge so the most likely suspects are either motor windings or battery temps..

ispano6

Mudflap wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 22:14
I've gone over the radio exchanges and I think it was an ERS issue, so nothing ICE modes could have helped.

He reported a hot engine and was told to avoid recharge so the most likely suspects are either motor windings or battery temps..
Whatever the reason it turns out to be, it's good that they have 3 other PUs to compare it to, and another chassis package too. If Red Bull was the only team using Honda engines then they wouldn't be able to make comparisons between packaging differences. It's good Honda was able to show that their PU isn't a slouch!

PlatinumZealot

We already know the Honda engine was good from last year. They themselves sent out a graph with their engine positioned above Renault, how true that was is anyone's guess, but they certainly felt they were the stronger engine!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hkbruin2
Hkbruin2

Was Max’s issue the same as the Austria one? Is it software related and the car needing a reboot again?

ispano6

The point is that if Gasly hadn't won we'd be hearing about the Honda PU being weaker to Renault and that RedBull would be regretting switching to Honda etc. We already see comments that the win was a one off and what happened to Max is the expected norm. If Mercedes didn't have engine overheating woes we'd hear how only Honda PU has bad cooling or overheating issues. People here are quick to denigrate Honda and thankfully Pierre and SATS performance proved the packaging and how it's used is what puts it in its sweetspot. Tanabe made it a point to say the PU worked perfectly in the race winning AT01.

epo
epo

ispano6 wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 06:28
The point is that if Gasly hadn't won we'd be hearing about the Honda PU being weaker to Renault and that RedBull would be regretting switching to Honda etc. We already see comments that the win was a one off and what happened to Max is the expected norm. If Mercedes didn't have engine overheating woes we'd hear how only Honda PU has bad cooling or overheating issues. People here are quick to denigrate Honda and thankfully Pierre and SATS performance proved the packaging and how it's used is what puts it in its sweetspot. Tanabe made it a point to say the PU worked perfectly in the race winning AT01.
We know that, only McMika is trolling about it so just ignore that.

Revs84
Revs84

Hkbruin2 wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 06:18
Was Max’s issue the same as the Austria one? Is it software related and the car needing a reboot again?
In Austria the issue was reported to be related to the flywheel. It's not clear whether it was mechanical or electrical though. All we know is that Honda said that they did a very simple fix to avoid it from happening again.

Sieper

It gives such a gut wrenching feeling that even this year Max had had to retire 25% of the races on mechanical issues. Some people already criticizing him in the press for this weekend. While Hamilton who rode in to a closed pits get high praise.

He almost secured P3 in qualy while Albon was midfield. 1 tenth off. Eventhough the car was clearly not good here. The only thing he did wrong was some wheelspin at start. That cost him places as he also was carefull not to get punted of/damage in the first chicane. Everything else was outside his doing. He was quicker than Bottas Lap after lap but could not get passed a Merc on the straight.

Snorked
Snorked

Tanabe talking about Max's engine trouble:

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/623063?all
On the other hand, did you understand the cause of Verstappen's retirement?

Tanabe TD: As a result of the analysis, it was almost clarified. Fortunately, the engine was undamaged and will continue to be used. However, it seems that the high temperature is also affecting the trouble, and it will be necessary to prepare properly because the hot race this weekend is expected.

You mentioned that the problem was caused by high temperature. More specifically?

Tanabe TD: That's just what I said earlier.

Verstappen was in the DRS train before the red flag was interrupted, but was it affected by the high temperature?

Tanabe TD: That's not the case. Rather, I feel that the interruption of the red flag was not desirable.

Is it an irregular problem?

Tanabe TD: If that happens all the time, I'm in trouble.

Is it something related to design?

Tanabe TD: Not really. Basically, it's okay.

Sieper

Ok, that sounds scary to me.

At every start moment the engine was hot. Or maybe the battery. But something. Max did in fact not have wheelspin at all at race start. This issue plagued both starts It seems.

Honda also wanted to postpone the no different engine modes allowed rule. It seems we have an issue on our hands. Hopefully the start here will be better as overtaking will be as hard if not harder then in Monza.

McMika98
McMika98

epo wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:36
ispano6 wrote:
Since you mentioned, I feel obliged to inform that if not for that one in a million chance of Gasly finding himself from P10 to front, it would have been the ex-partner of Honda now with a Renault engine getting its first win since eons. Quali pace was meh and race pace does not matter anymore with the new rule as they cant get more modes to overtake.

epo
epo

McMika98 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 02:19
epo wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
Since you mentioned, I feel obliged to inform that if not for that one in a million chance of Gasly finding himself from P10 to front, it would have been the ex-partner of Honda now with a Renault engine getting its first win since eons. Quali pace was meh and race pace does not matter anymore with the new rule as they cant get more modes to overtake.
That Renault engine is meh, they turned it up for two races and where are they now?

bucker
bucker

epo wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 19:14
McMika98 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 02:19
epo wrote:

That Renault engine is meh, they turned it up for two races and where are they now?
Engine is not bad. This track is all about extreme downforce. Reno cars aren't good at that DF levels.

McMika98
McMika98

epo wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 19:14
Please, what's with the small bro syndrome. Who has more cars qualified in top 10 and how come a race winning car and driver can't even get out of Q1?
Marko talking about more power makes it obvious.
Let's revisit after Bahrain.

subcritical71

McMika98 wrote: Let's revisit after Bahrain.
Maybe we could just look at the top of the page and try to stay on the topic shown. Seriously, what does any of this have to do with the inner workings of the Honda PU? This is better off in another thread.