Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-te ... st-option/

So if wastegate tailpipe position is not mandatory,basically Prodrumou can put one WG pipe between left tyre and floor,one between right tyre and floor and do his magic all over again whit blown exhausts? 8)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

superdowg316 wrote:
a1b2i3r45 wrote:http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... -2016.html

"Honda is set to retain their unique engine layout next season, with their small MGU-H positioned within the upper-rear portion of the engine block between the compressor and the turbo"

Is it true?
No, considering Arai stated this months ago: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... e-for-2016

[/b]”

[/quote]

Arai confirmed in a much recent interview than this one that they'll make modifications to current layout and stick whit it.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Re: Honda Power Unit

The recent messages are in general mixed in nature. You could get the impression from multiple recent stories that Honda have two engines on the go, one based on the current layout which needs a fixed compressor/mgu-h but has extremely tight space to work with and how much they can 'fix' that layout is to my mind very questionable. They are also working on an alternate version that would be, IMHO Ferrari/Renault style, turbine moved back, compressor next to it as close to the back of the engine as you can get(like the turbine currently) mgu-h attached to the compressor rather than in the middle of the turbine/compressor as it is now.

Arai has for certain said on several occasions they need a big layout change, in the past couple of weeks people have said they are working on a fixed version of the current layout. I honestly suspect they are pursuing that avenue because if they don't they are more readily admitting defeat. No one likes failing and if they can get that version working you can say "ha, see, screw you guys, we knew it could work", but they have the more sensible approach ready to go.

The recent interview and the pretty dodgy/inaccurate recent article on Honda's problems on, was it motorsport.com or whatever, I took as mostly poor journalism and poor translation. He was pretty adamant after the last proper upgrade that a layout change was required and not possible before next year.

Blackout

drunkf1fan wrote:The recent messages are in general mixed in nature. You could get the impression from multiple recent stories that Honda have two engines on the go, one based on the current layout which needs a fixed compressor/mgu-h but has extremely tight space to work with and how much they can 'fix' that layout is to my mind very questionable. They are also working on an alternate version that would be, IMHO Ferrari/Renault style, turbine moved back, compressor next to it as close to the back of the engine as you can get(like the turbine currently) mgu-h attached to the compressor rather than in the middle of the turbine/compressor as it is now.

Arai has for certain said on several occasions they need a big layout change, in the past couple of weeks people have said they are working on a fixed version of the current layout. I honestly suspect they are pursuing that avenue because if they don't they are more readily admitting defeat. No one likes failing and if they can get that version working you can say "ha, see, screw you guys, we knew it could work", but they have the more sensible approach ready to go.

The recent interview and the pretty dodgy/inaccurate recent article on Honda's problems on, was it motorsport.com or whatever, I took as mostly poor journalism and poor translation. He was pretty adamant after the last proper upgrade that a layout change was required and not possible before next year.
That would be a vey dumb decision :lol:

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-te ... st-option/

So if wastegate tailpipe position is not mandatory,basically Prodrumou can put one WG pipe between left tyre and floor,one between right tyre and floor and do his magic all over again whit blown exhausts? 8)

Nope.
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/654229302037381120
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

trinidefender
trinidefender

Abarth wrote:
drunkf1fan wrote:[[...]Though it does appear to suggest that Piola believes this years engine uses a a radial compressor not axial and that both the compressor is tiny and the turbine is pretty dang small.
I think that most educated guesses must come to the conclusion that it's not possible to run a one stage axial turbine, since the required PR is >2.5.
Don't you mean it is not possible to run a single stage axial COMPRESSOR? Not turbine.

Abarth

trinidefender wrote:
Abarth wrote:
drunkf1fan wrote:[[...]Though it does appear to suggest that Piola believes this years engine uses a a radial compressor not axial and that both the compressor is tiny and the turbine is pretty dang small.
I think that most educated guesses must come to the conclusion that it's not possible to run a one stage axial turbine, since the required PR is >2.5.
Don't you mean it is not possible to run a single stage axial COMPRESSOR? Not turbine.
Sic, my bad, yes absolutely. Thanks for pointing it out, will correct it.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Thunders wrote:

Nope.

Don't be so sure. When hot gasses blow at both sdes of the rear, the aero boys can fix a diffuser, cloanda whatever of it. Remember from the first time they tried to ban blown diffusers.

dren

ESPImperium wrote:Personally, i think the Honda 2016 power will be improved, but it all depends of weather or not the engine manufacturers can agree on how many Engine Tokens they can use in season next year, basically Mercedes needs to budge and allow Tokens to be used. Mercedes are pressing for all power units to be Homologated for the 1st Feb date for homologation. They are seemingly scared that Ferrari could use tokens to out develop them in season, and if Renault start the season with a strong unit and Total fuel, they could develop to their level in a year. Id say there will be in season development next year, but all will have 12 token to start the year and can spend 6 on two-3 token items and the rest on two and single token items.
Mercedes are in agreement with increasing the token spend limit for next year allowing teams to catch up.
Honda!

djos

NL_Fer wrote:
Thunders wrote:

Nope.

Don't be so sure. When hot gasses blow at both sdes of the rear, the aero boys can fix a diffuser, cloanda whatever of it. Remember from the first time they tried to ban blown diffusers.
The regs prevent the waste gate exits from being used that way. There's a whole topic about it if you are very bored.
"In downforce we trust"

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

¿32 TOKENS IS VERY GOOD FOR THE HONDA ENGINE 2016?......NEED MORE?

eslam1986
eslam1986

i think it is not allowed to do that as pipe must be in center of the car + amount of exhaust will be very small not like V8 engine.

nevill3

Extra tokens and in season development looks to be confirmed for next year
The manufacturers and the FIA have agreed to allow 32 development tokens again in 2016 - and to permit companies to apply them throughout the championship as they saw fit.
In addition, the sliding scale of increased restrictions has been pushed back - so 25 tokens will now be allowed in 2017. The numbers for subsequent years is subject to discussion.
And an allowance will be made for any new manufacturers who enter the sport to permit them an as-yet-undecided number of tokens in their first season, which previously was not allowed.
In addition, engine manufacturers have been permitted to supply year-old engines to customer teams. Previously, the rules dictated they had to supply the same-specification engines to all teams.

Source BBC Sport http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34548368
The agreement between the engine manufacturers needs to be approved by the next two stages of the F1 legislative process - the F1 Commission, on which all the teams have representation, and the FIA World Council.
One senior figure close to the negotiations said it was "quite unlikely that what was agreed will not happen".
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ME4ME

Blackout wrote:
drunkf1fan wrote:The recent messages are in general mixed in nature. You could get the impression from multiple recent stories that Honda have two engines on the go, one based on the current layout which needs a fixed compressor/mgu-h but has extremely tight space to work with and how much they can 'fix' that layout is to my mind very questionable. They are also working on an alternate version that would be, IMHO Ferrari/Renault style, turbine moved back, compressor next to it as close to the back of the engine as you can get(like the turbine currently) mgu-h attached to the compressor rather than in the middle of the turbine/compressor as it is now.

That would be a vey dumb decision :lol:
Not necessarily. Ferrari are doing just fine and are only marginally behind Mercedes. The front mounted compressor is made out to be THE solution, but like every option there are always pro's and con's. Last year Mercedes log-style exhaust was pointed out as one of their main advantages as well, until they all of a sudden dropped it and reverted to a conventional tubular style exhaust. My point is, it's not as simple copying the current best design - data from simulation and testing needs to back it up. Whatever solution provides the best results, that the solution they should stick with.

Blackout

ME4ME wrote:
Blackout wrote: That would be a vey dumb decision :lol:
Not necessarily. Ferrari are doing just fine and are only marginally behind Mercedes. The front mounted compressor is made out to be THE solution, but like every option there are always pro's and con's. Last year Mercedes log-style exhaust was pointed out as one of their main advantages as well, until they all of a sudden dropped it and reverted to a conventional tubular style exhaust. My point is, it's not as simple copying the current best design - data from simulation and testing needs to back it up. Whatever solution provides the best results, that the solution they should stick with.
Only by pepole who dont know what their talking about.
The merc layout can't be reduced to the log design. Two completely different subjects.

Ferrari and especially the Renault turbo layout have many drawbacks on both the Pu and the chassis sides / the Merc layout has no real cons and many pros on both sides.

Honda adopting the Ferrari/Renault turbo layout would negate all the work they did on making the most compact PU possible and would create more 'problems'...
The Honda layout is closer to the Merc* than to the Renault, and Instead of going the short way (to a merc Layout or a similar Honda/Merc design) they would go a longer way and revert to the worst solution?

-compressor near the front of the V6, so it's close to the sidepod intercooler, like the Merc
-MGuh in the V, between the C and the T, like the merc
-Turbine very close to the V6 so short exhasuts, a compact gearbox,
better weight dsitribution etc like the merc

--> so going the Renault/Ferrari route will imply much bigger changes, stardting from a blanck sheet again and make them lose those advatages...
data from simulation and testing needs to back it up. Whatever solution provides the best results, that the solution they should stick with.
Obviouly...
But engineers sometimes dont have enough budget, time or reliable enough simulation and testing tools...
We'll see.