Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Sure - and although the leaner AFR does reduce the risk of component damage (reduced heat load, temps, detonation etc) those benefits get immediately traded off for more performance eg lighter pistons, increased CR etc.
je suis charlie

Snorked
Snorked

The TD issued for Austria last season had a big impact on Honda according to Asaki:

Last year, the influence of the TD was great. What was allowed in Australia was restricted in Austria. Most of us had no effect, but there was some control. It was banned in Austria, and we wanted to say that we weren't trying to hide, and that we had been consulting with the FIA ​​for a long time, but it didn't work and we were greatly affected. There was one thing. At the time of the Australian Grand Prix, the idea was that the amount of electricity generated would be sufficient, but due to that, at the time of the Austrian GP, ​​the amount of electricity generated (from the MGU-H) was insufficient during the season. I had to get off to a good start. That had a big impact.
https://members.f1-life.net/report/97040/

Juzh

Snorked wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 12:41
The TD issued for Austria last season had a big impact on Honda according to Asaki:

Last year, the influence of the TD was great. What was allowed in Australia was restricted in Austria. Most of us had no effect, but there was some control. It was banned in Austria, and we wanted to say that we weren't trying to hide, and that we had been consulting with the FIA ​​for a long time, but it didn't work and we were greatly affected. There was one thing. At the time of the Australian Grand Prix, the idea was that the amount of electricity generated would be sufficient, but due to that, at the time of the Austrian GP, ​​the amount of electricity generated (from the MGU-H) was insufficient during the season. I had to get off to a good start. That had a big impact.
Someone refresh my memory, what TD is he talking about here that was implemented in between Melbourne and red bull ring GPs?

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Am I correct in that the date for engine homologation is Q1-2021? ie Friday.

So changes permitted since test until then?

And after that date only reliability improvements.

Alexf1
Alexf1

I think its TD/018-20: a new encripted sensor for ERS power and energy monitoring with a limitation of frequency in power demand to prevent distortion of FIA sensor measurements.

henry

Juzh wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 13:55
Snorked wrote:

Someone refresh my memory, what TD is he talking about here that was implemented in between Melbourne and red bull ring GPs?
He may be referring to the requirement to run the same engine modes in Qualification and Race. This was issued prior to Austria but its implementation was postponed to Italy in September.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Juzh

henry wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 18:16
Juzh wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 13:55
Snorked wrote:

He may be referring to the requirement to run the same engine modes in Qualification and Race. This was issued prior to Austria but its implementation was postponed to Italy in September.
First official reference about quali mode ban was made in mid august so I don't think it's about quali mode. That too had an effect, but this particular article is not talking about that.
this article that first mentioned quali mode restrictions is from august 13th:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... p/4855266/

A good post from reddit about current subject:
https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... t_seasons/

It basically boils down to extra harvest mode being effectively banned together with ferrari's fuel flow tricks in one fell swoop. By the looks of it this nerfed honda's harvesting output significantly. This was apparent troughout season but there was never a specific reason pointed out as why it's happening. Mostly it was contributed to mercedes simply being better on deployment, but now it seems 2020 honda PU was weaker in this area even compared to their 2019 unit. That would make sense, 2019 PU was nearly a match for mercedes after summer break and towards the end of season even more so, whereas 2020 version was not that close.

godlameroso

But Honda found a way to regain that harvesting near the end of the year. They are including this into the new power unit so it should not be a problem. Furthermore could this have had a compound nerf on Ferrari's 2020 engine while it only single nerfed Honda, while Mercedes and Renault largely escaped un-nerfed?

Would we see TD's come out should Honda have an engine that becomes class of the field?
Saishū kōnā

rgava
rgava

Juzh wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 18:50
It basically boils down to extra harvest mode being effectively banned
I've never realized about this.
Can you please tell me more details about how do they ban it in the rules?

TimW
TimW

rgava wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 09:18
Juzh wrote:
One thing they did is link max fuel flow depending on % throttle application. So you cannot burn extra fuel at part throttle for harvesting.
Not sure if there was more in the rules that limited them.

Juzh

rgava wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 09:18
Juzh wrote:
It's banned via technical directive which is not made public, so exact details are not known, but there was an additional sensor required (or maybe just updated) in some places. Honda was switching mgu-h from generator to motor function in 20-40 hz range for various benefits and that was prohibited by the TD in some way. We now know from the interview it was not an insignificant impact. At the time of this TD in june last year not much fuss was made about it. If I remember godlameroso back then already predicted it might be targeted at extra harvest, but no one thought it would make this much of an impact.

more about extra harvest topic, I had to dig up this incredible post that I somehow forgot about:
viewtopic.php?p=749725#p749725

godlameroso

Turbulators for the turbo. I guess that's what those strakes on the rear wing end plates are.

Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

GerryTT
GerryTT

Can we now say that Honda did it? Yessss, I hope so. They deserve it, in my opinion.

flexcon
flexcon

GerryTT wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:14
Can we now say that Honda did it? Yessss, I hope so. They deserve it, in my opinion.
I don't want to get too excited but man - I think Honda has finally done it. Let's see in the race tomorrow.

I wonder are they running a higher engine mode on the AT for the first engine, and have already factored in 4 engines for the AT this year? even with Drag, the AT is fastest out of acceleration AND top speed.

This engine seems like a 1000HP animal. I'm giddy!