Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: Honda Power Unit

Andres125sx wrote:
Wazari wrote:@joseki - I do know Honda has a chassis dyno placed inside a wind tunnel. I do not know if the climate can be adjusted in the wind tunnel. I do not know for sure if the MP4 with the Honda PU has been tested in there but I would imagine it has.
Correct me if I´m wrong, but I think that would be ilegal as no 1:1 models are allowed for wind tunnel testing.

I think they can test the PU inside a real car, but not inside a wind tunnel, or the PU on a dynno inside the wind tunnel, but not inside the real car
Correct, they are not allowed to run the car in a wind tunnel. It's a rolling road instead, air is blown inside the pods and roof intake, trough hoses. No flow over the whole car.

About the Merc turbocharger: The compressor is mounted in the front, turbine in the back. Would torsion of the engine, caused by the rear axle cause any trouble?

flmkane
flmkane

Anyone else think this "rolling road" is dumb?

At these extremes its probably cheaper and better to just test the damn car on the track.

Oh wait... testing is banned.

trinidefender
trinidefender

flmkane wrote:Anyone else think this "rolling road" is dumb?

At these extremes its probably cheaper and better to just test the damn car on the track.

Oh wait... testing is banned.
Not really. This is a rolling road that they can use night and day at all hours and can make changes on the fly. I too believe that more testing should be allowed but a track requires constant maintenance and has large cost. This for the most part is a one time investment and just requires normal maintenance and offers the flexibility of actually being at the factory so parts and new developments can be swapped in and out easily. Not to mention it also keeps prying eyes away from the finished product.

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

I fully agree, plus on a P/T or vehicle dyno you can (for example) easily repeat stuff like "that weird transient condition through turn X at circuit Y" without doing another 'lap'.

diffuser

Since we the fans are part of the prying eyes, it takes some of the fun out of it for us. Less for us to look at and talk about.

Paul

Wouldn't it be something if all teams were obliged to provide webcam feeds of their facilities...

AxialTurbine
AxialTurbine

Thunders wrote:the user muramasa from the autosport Forums was able to take some more pictures from the PU at the Honda event at Motegi. This is one of them. Awesome Honda let's People near the Engine. =D> =D>

https://yak0hw-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y3 ... dapu6p.jpg

that's a radial inflow turbine. Although whoever designed the wastegate port rentries wants a talking to. The flow from the wastegate when open will reduce the performance of the turbine. And yes it does matter.
In god we trust, everyone else brings evidence.

Joseki
Joseki

Wazari wrote:@joseki - I do know Honda has a chassis dyno placed inside a wind tunnel. I do not know if the climate can be adjusted in the wind tunnel. I do not know for sure if the MP4 with the Honda PU has been tested in there but I would imagine it has. BTW is your user name the Japanese meaning for joseki? If it is, I like it.
My user name is taken from an old strategy games for PC called Worms.

Wazari

So this it what I speculate for the PU based on rumblings that have passed my ears. Purely speculation, the PU will receive a completely redesigned turbocharger with a revised turbine and compressor. A new MGU-H unit that will be more efficient in harvesting energy in generator mode and using less energy in motor mode with the same output. Redesigned exhaust manifolds and a completely redesigned cooling system. That's what I'm guessing for next year.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

FW17

the PU will receive a completely redesigned turbocharger with a revised turbine and compressor
Is this token free because of the changes in the regulations with regard to the waste gate exhausts?

turbof1

WilliamsF1 wrote:
the PU will receive a completely redesigned turbocharger with a revised turbine and compressor
Is this token free because of the changes in the regulations with regard to the waste gate exhausts?
I doubt that. Often when you change one component, it has a knockback effect on everything else around it. The TC, or perhaps only certain parts of the TC, will be token free, but not the other required changes.

Not that it matters that much. Going from what mr. Wazari is telling, they making very big changes all around the PU. The required changes for the TC only which aren't token free, would be updated in any case if the speculation is true.
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender
trinidefender

Wazari wrote:So this it what I speculate for the PU based on rumblings that have passed my ears. Purely speculation, the PU will receive a completely redesigned turbocharger with a revised turbine and compressor. A new MGU-H unit that will be more efficient in harvesting energy in generator mode and using less energy in motor mode with the same output. Redesigned exhaust manifolds and a completely redesigned cooling system. That's what I'm guessing for next year.
1. Do you think that the layout will remain the same with the turbine, MGU-H and compressor in the V? Or do you think there will be small changes to the layout or large changes to the layout.
People are saying that the 2015 turbine is behind the V but to me it looks like it is actually between the V with the wastegates behind the V.

2. Continuing on from point 1. You said that the piping between the compressor and intercooler and intercooler to ICE looks to be quite restrictive and to long. Do you think this will be changed to better suit? Or will a layout change be the only way to achieve this?

3. The changes you described here don't seem to come close to 32 tokens. Are they planning to save a lot of tokens for in season development?

Joseki
Joseki

WilliamsF1 wrote:
They can change the turbine for free Scarbs confirmed a few months ago.

Joseki
Joseki

Wazari wrote:So this it what I speculate for the PU based on rumblings that have passed my ears. Purely speculation, the PU will receive a completely redesigned turbocharger with a revised turbine and compressor. A new MGU-H unit that will be more efficient in harvesting energy in generator mode and using less energy in motor mode with the same output. Redesigned exhaust manifolds and a completely redesigned cooling system. That's what I'm guessing for next year.
Wazari-san, do you think they'll keep the compressor in the V or have still some way to have a smaller package than Mercedes?

hemichromis
hemichromis

Arai-san has said the compressor will remain in the V but will be bigger.