Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

Wazari.
In how many days is "the nephew" arriving for holidays? :)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

GoranF1 wrote:Wazari.
In how many days is "the nephew" arriving for holidays? :)
HIs schedule has changed slightly. I will see him on Jan 1st for 2 to 3 days.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

bigblue

Long enough for interrogation ;-)

Wazari

I have been interrogating him a lot for the last two weeks.... :-#

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:I have been interrogating him a lot for the last two weeks.... :-#
make sure you send f1 technical forum regards to him! :)

PlatinumZealot

Haha.

Yes.. I can bet Nephew will just tell use to wait until winter testing.

Anyway good news. James Allison of Ferrari has acknowledged that the Honda ICE is a great one. This is wonderful for the guys back in Japan. It means they are on the right track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:Haha.

Anyway good news. James Allison of Ferrari has acknowledged that the Honda ICE is a great one. This is wonderful for the guys back in Japan. It means they are on the right track.
Thanks @Plati for this news...can you link me to it please?

EDIT; i guess you ment Newey,not Allison.

Wazari

Yes I think you're right about my nephew, although he has mentioned vaguely specific or is it specifically vague items for me to chew on.

As I mentioned before, the folks at Sakura are very pleased with their latest ICE and think it lacks nothing in terms of power compared to Merc and Ferrari. They also think there is more power to be had from the ICE before official winter testing dates.

-- Honda Soichiro

PlatinumZealot

GoranF1 wrote:

Thanks @Plati for this news...can you link me to it please?

EDIT; i guess you ment Newey,not Allison.
You know.. I have been searching up and down... but I just can't find it again. I wonder if my memory was playing tricks, come to think of it I can't remember too clear if it was mr allison but it was definitely a rival engineer/principal commenting on the Honda engine. Still trying to back track through my page history.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

giantfan10
giantfan10

it was Newey... here are a few quotes he had that i thought were interesting.

"Toro Rosso, our sister team by having a 2015 Ferrari will be considerably ahead of this year's Renault power unit."

"I believe Honda, what we have seen, will make a good step. I think their internal combustion engine is a reasonable engine."Their problem this year has been that they made the recovery units on the turbo, the MGU-H, far too small. But that is an easy problem to address over the winter.

"I think it is going to be an extremely difficult season for us frankly,"
"If we start the engine with the same power as we have had throughout 2014 and 2015, which I think may well be the case, then we are going to be even further behind.
"According to our own research we found some reasonable gains on the chassis side, but the works teams will of course all move forward. Mercedes and Ferrari will move forwards."

all from Motorsports.com

trinidefender
trinidefender

Wazari wrote:

Yes I think you're right about my nephew, although he has mentioned vaguely specific or is it specifically vague items for me to chew on.

As I mentioned before, the folks at Sakura are very pleased with their latest ICE and think it lacks nothing in terms of power compared to Merc and Ferrari. They also think there is more power to be had from the ICE before official winter testing dates.
So it seems they are pleased about the ICE. Do you get the same pleasant feeling when you talk to your nephew about the PU as a whole, ERS (energy recovery system) included? I mean to say to they seem as confident about the whole PU as they are about the ICE.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Ferrari took the compressor out of the V, to be able to make it large enough. Honda still has to achieve something revolutionairy to get the same ERS gains, as Ferrari, while keeping the compressor/mgu-h inside the V.

But knowing Honda, maybe they can. The whole chassis/pu package will be wicked, if they achieve their goals.

djos

Could they mount it fairly high and stick some cooling hw under the mgu-k?
"In downforce we trust"

hemichromis
hemichromis

Did ferrari ever have a compressor in the V?
I thought they started with a Renault type arrangment.

moving the turbo up 1 inch would free up space for a compressor of near mercedes proportions

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

djos wrote:Could they mount it fairly high and stick some cooling hw under the mgu-k?
To high would harm center of gravity. But i guess the whole assembly would be part of the engine cooling system.