Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

Or maybe it's a combination of new compressor, and changes to the engine that leaves everything with the same volume overall.
Saishū kōnā

Wazari

I have not heard anything about testing the whole PU, just the ICE with turbocharger. Honda believes at this point their ICE is equal in terms of power output with Merc if not superior. I am also under the belief that both the turbine and compressor are completely redesigned along with a new MGU-H unit. I also believe that McLaren is committed to the "size 0" packaging and of course Honda must work within that packaging.

All I know is that according to my nephew, his colleagues seem genuinely enthusiastic about the new PU and really think they are going to surprise a lot of people. When they bolt this new PU into the chassis for testing, a lot of speculation will be quenched.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:I have not heard anything about testing the whole PU, just the ICE with turbocharger. Honda believes at this point their ICE is equal in terms of power output with Merc if not superior. I am also under the belief that both the turbine and compressor are completely redesigned along with a new MGU-H unit. I also believe that McLaren is committed to the "size 0" packaging and of course Honda must work within that packaging.

All I know is that according to my nephew, his colleagues seem genuinely enthusiastic about the new PU and really think they are going to surprise a lot of people. When they bolt this new PU into the chassis for testing, a lot of speculation will be quenched.
Thank you for making my todays birthday and xMas beautiful whit this last few words....:)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

GoranF1 wrote:
Wazari wrote:I have not heard anything about testing the whole PU, just the ICE with turbocharger. Honda believes at this point their ICE is equal in terms of power output with Merc if not superior. I am also under the belief that both the turbine and compressor are completely redesigned along with a new MGU-H unit. I also believe that McLaren is committed to the "size 0" packaging and of course Honda must work within that packaging.

Thank you for making my todays birthday and xMas beautiful whit this last few words....:)
お誕生日おめでとうございます. Otanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GoranF1
GoranF1

あなたWazariさんありがとうございました
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

giantfan10
giantfan10

love the optimisim in general and the eternal optimism from the inside source... i will believe it all when i see it on the track.... Honda and Mclaren made a different promise every single race weekend and backed none of it up.they also have a reliability problem they need to address too.....

ringo

Even if the ICE is as powerful as the 2015 Merc ( which i doubt) they need to aim beyond that as Merc will be developing to the limits.
As for the turbo MGUH, they probably should compromize the size zero a bit and hang a bigger turbo off the back of the engine. There isn't much lost aerodynamically in that area.
For Sure!!

ME4ME

Wazari wrote:Honda believes at this point their ICE is equal in terms of power output with Merc if not superior.
If true than that would be impressive. Also from a fuel perspective. Mercedes-Petronas and Ferrari-Shell have had 2 seasons of development, and substancial performance has been found in that period of time. For Honda-Mobil1 to already catch up on ICE performance, well, good job.

FW17

Any word on the intercooler?

Have Honda been working on a liquid air cooler as a engine package or are they leaving it to McLaren to do an air to air intercooler?

damager21
damager21

Wazari wrote:I have not heard anything about testing the whole PU, just the ICE with turbocharger. Honda believes at this point their ICE is equal in terms of power output with Merc if not superior.
Considering Honda's ICE was about 50bhp down as compared to Mercedes this year and we would see a 50bhp upgrade for 2016 Mercedes engine, I believe Honda would need a 100bhp jump in ICE output. Now that is a lot.

If Honda has really managed to achieve this then hats off to them.

hemichromis
hemichromis

I believe Mercedes have actually scaled back development as their 2014 season was actually a costly year and they would like to make some profit! Expect a modest improvement it power with reliability upgrades

FW17

If all goes well and Honda ICE should be capable of 750 hp @ 12500rpm with 430nm torque

If the ERS behaves we will see a 900 hp power unit for Alonso

Joseki
Joseki

damager21 wrote:
Wazari wrote:I have not heard anything about testing the whole PU, just the ICE with turbocharger. Honda believes at this point their ICE is equal in terms of power output with Merc if not superior.
Considering Honda's ICE was about 50bhp down as compared to Mercedes this year and we would see a 50bhp upgrade for 2016 Mercedes engine, I believe Honda would need a 100bhp jump in ICE output. Now that is a lot.

If Honda has really managed to achieve this then hats off to them.
I highly doubt the ICE itself is 50 bhp behind Mercedes and I also don't think Mercedes will have an improvement of 50 bhp like they had last winter.

Andres125sx

Music to my ears, thanks for sharing. We need good news from Japan :D

Can´t wait for first tests!

PlatinumZealot

Possibly smaller diameter piston pins and main journals to reduce friction?

Improved piston crown.
Improved injector spray pattern.
Higher flow ports.
Interior coated exhaust runners...

A lot can be changed because tokens only buy the change itself not the amount of it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏