Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pierce89

Re: Honda Power Unit

Edis wrote:
Skippon wrote:That HPP did all their dyno development and integration with Petronas fuel was the reason McLaren couldn't match Merc, Williams, or at time Force India in 2014...... :wink:
No, HPP did the engine optimization with both fuels with different staff for each fuel.
The difference is the the Petronas fuel and Merc PU were developed hand in hand to suit each other. whereas, Mobile 1, who developed with much less info and cooperation, brought fuel and Merc remapped for them.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

will the team use the spec engine 2016 to test pirreli January 2016 next month?

diffuser

wuzak wrote:
hemichromis wrote:Is their anything stopping them fitting, in one weekend an engine for each practice then one for qualifying? sacrificing one weekend for 4 spare engines?
That's what they, and Red Bull, did a few times in 2015. Except they only added a couple of engines to the pool.

Red Bull did it at Monza, IIRC, and McLaren at Spa, both knowing these would be difficult weekends for their teams in any case.
Once you break the tag on a PU's the spec is frozen for that PU, you can't make changes to it. So if there are reliability changes or performance changes they want done, it has to be done on a new PU.

haza
haza

will mclaren use the mp4/31 with 15 or 16 spec engine at paul ricard next month

McMrocks
McMrocks

haza wrote:will mclaren use the mp4/31 with 15 or 16 spec engine at paul ricard next month
I have a bold guess that they will use a 15 spec

haza
haza

McMrocks wrote:
haza wrote:will mclaren use the mp4/31 with 15 or 16 spec engine at paul ricard next month
I have a bold guess that they will use a 15 spec
i wonder they will unviel the car then

GoranF1
GoranF1

Old car and engine in Pirelli test.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Joseki
Joseki

I'm pretty sure they have a 100 km promo day with the MP4-31 before the actual start of the tests, they need to check the most basic stuff before Barcellona.

Mr Sparkle
Mr Sparkle

It seems like the tests are too close together, if they spot a problem with the engine it doesn't give them any time to fix it or bring an update for the following test.

shady
shady

Luckily, they have all year to fix the engines. No more homologation before the first race. But it would be another backfoot effort.

Joseki
Joseki

Now that we are in 2016 we can all forget how horrible last year was and hope for a monster PU like we did in 2014 :D

godlameroso

If you think about what Honda's plans are in general, it actually makes sense for them to be in formula 1.

http://www.civicx.com/attachments/civic ... -jpg.3366/

They seem to be moving to turbo charged engines, which is something they as a brand aren't really known for. What a better way for them to develop the next generation of engines than by being in an environment that forces you to maximize performance at a cut-throat pace. In a way this is something they need, not to mention the chassis knowledge they'll get from McLaren, although I'm sure a lot of information is going both ways. With the money involved I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is indeed a full partnership.
Saishū kōnā

haza
haza

with the 2016 exhaust regulations in place would teams be able to use coanda exhausts like in 2013 or will the exhausts have to be within the same area ?

Joseki
Joseki

haza wrote:with the 2016 exhaust regulations in place would teams be able to use coanda exhausts like in 2013 or will the exhausts have to be within the same area ?
It's impossible, the wastegate it's rarely used in the race since the team need to recover every kJ possible from the exhaust.

haza
haza

Joseki wrote:
haza wrote:with the 2016 exhaust regulations in place would teams be able to use coanda exhausts like in 2013 or will the exhausts have to be within the same area ?
It's impossible, the wastegate it's rarely used in the race since the team need to recover every kJ possible from the exhaust.
my guess would be that they have the main turbo pipe and 2 small ones underneath