Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

:D

I gotta say, you guys have a clever way of sand bagging.
Saishū kōnā

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Wazari wrote:My inbox has been flooded. Sorry can not answer you all but seems centered on a few things.

1. Yes I am extremely busy. People can bash away. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
2. I have been asked as others too, not to comment on any status as to specific problems or items. In general, mood at Sakura is very good, believe it or not. Many expected and unexpected setbacks but it appears nothing major. As I mentioned to others via PM, oil scavenging issue was under heavy braking, why this became an issue, I don't know, obviously either a design issue or manufacturing issue.
3. Is Sasha real??? Haha. I will say this, he knew the owner's name of a small restaurant in Sakura where the locals go that's been there since the '60's and completely off the grid. Also knew of the small grocery, convenience store up the hill behind the restaurant that unless you were a local and have been to Sakura, you would never know about it. The road isn't on the map. It's seems strange to me, all these people asking about him lately???
4. I am still excited about this season. I am optimistic, anxious and happy with the new PU. Spec 0.8, 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1.

Best wishes everyone.
1.0 being Melbourne?

PlatinumZealot

Sasha is real but I think he is a honda fan from Sakura more than an F1 insider.
He knows the vortex exhaust is not real so I do not know why he is spreading it.

The vortex exhaust was speculation borne on this website by a user who said he has a friend who has a friend who's uncle's cousin's nephew works in the engine department at Brixworth. And he said this back in November. Lol. So I am humored that this is connected to the Honda engine now.

It has been a while since I set up an exhaust CFD simulation but I am tempted to do the vortex exhaust design. I saw some examples set up on here which were very basic. There were no curved pipes. There was no heat transer either.. And radiation is not negligible when it comes to exhaust gasses!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:My inbox has been flooded. Sorry can not answer you all but seems centered on a few things.

1. Yes I am extremely busy. People can bash away. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
2. I have been asked as others too, not to comment on any status as to specific problems or items. In general, mood at Sakura is very good, believe it or not. Many expected and unexpected setbacks but it appears nothing major. As I mentioned to others via PM, oil scavenging issue was under heavy braking, why this became an issue, I don't know, obviously either a design issue or manufacturing issue.
3. Is Sasha real??? Haha. I will say this, he knew the owner's name of a small restaurant in Sakura where the locals go that's been there since the '60's and completely off the grid. Also knew of the small grocery, convenience store up the hill behind the restaurant that unless you were a local and have been to Sakura, you would never know about it. The road isn't on the map. It's seems strange to me, all these people asking about him lately???
4. I am still excited about this season. I am optimistic, anxious and happy with the new PU. Spec 0.8, 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1.

Best wishes everyone.
Why was Honda PU during 1st test whit less power than in AD 2016?

Why didnt Honda see oil tank problem in their state of art Dyno benches?

What is Honda's plan to find 80hp gap from 2016 to Mercedes and 70hp Mercedes find for 2017?

Is it normal that a team drives so litlle during tests due to engine problems, when there is only 4 days of tests per driver?

Is it true Honda 2017 ERS system is not efficient enough?

If Mclaren Honda does not make it out of Q1 in AUS, will it be more because of Honda or Mclaren(in your opinion)

Is Honda happy whit Mclaren chassis during Test1?

Why were Mclaren drivers last in speed traps during Test 1?

If engine was detuned in Test1, by how much was it?

;)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

dr_cooke wrote:
1.0 being Melbourne?
TBD, 1.0 or 1.1
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Wazari

GoranF1 wrote: Why was Honda PU during 1st test whit less power than in AD 2016?

What is Honda's plan to find 80hp gap from 2016 to Mercedes and 70hp Mercedes find for 2017?

Is it normal that a team drives so litlle during tests due to engine problems, when there is only 4 days of tests per driver?

If Mclaren Honda does not make it out of Q1 in AUS, will it be more because of Honda or Mclaren(in your opinion)

;)
Seriously???
1. Was it? Maybe detuned? 2. Maybe because "dyno benches" don't brake from 260 to 50? 3. You better check your HP figures.. 4. What do you think? 5. Is it? 6. Neither, it would because the other cars are faster. 7. Not important if Honda is happy. McLaren and its drivers need to happy. 8. I don't know, I think you already know. 9. A lot.
Last edited by Wazari on 04 Mar 2017, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

PlatinumZealot

The oil tank is supposed to regulate it's own oil level. It wasn't doing that correclty. When we say level it is really within a range. High and low.

Here is a street car dry sump system with oil tank below. A ferrari engine .

The oil is returned to the tank by the scavenge pump and from the oil cooler. Then, the delivery pump sucks oil from the oil tank.
The oil tank also serves as simple separator. Because, remember, some amount of air is still being delivered from the separator pump. Also oil sloshes around in when caraccelerates or goes through the corners. What you want is only oil sucked up by the delivery pump. Hence the bottom of the oil tank must have a sufficient volume of oil. It must not run too low or else you risk oil starvation and destroying your engine.

This is something that was a risk for Honda. Fortunately they did not melt down the engine so we know nothing catastrophic happened. Maybe the oil level was too low for comfort in those 5g corners? The oil tank voulme was probably too small or the baffles were slowing the return of oil to the bottom of the tank too much. It could be a number of reasons. Honda probably just cut out a bit of the baffling or increased the oil volume in the tank.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 04 Mar 2017, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ncassi22
ncassi22

GoranF1 wrote: Why was Honda PU during 1st test whit less power than in AD 2016?

;)
1. If true, he's under no obligation to tell you and won't seeing as he just stated he's not allowed.
2. He's under no obligation to tell you and won't seeing as he just stated he's not allowed.
3. Bullshit rumour? Where did you find this?
4. Obviously not.
5. If true, he's under no obligation to tell you and won't seeing as he just stated he's not allowed.
6. He's not an oracle.
7. If they are he won't tell you....just because you're badgering him with questions.
8. Why do you think?
9. Seriously think he's going to tell you?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

Best wishes everyone.
Why was Honda PU during 1st test whit less power than in AD 2016?

;)
Seriously???
I tryed..... :D

GoranF1
GoranF1

ncassi22 wrote:

;)
1. If true, he's under no obligation to tell you and won't seeing as he just stated he's not allowed.
2. He's under no obligation to tell you and won't seeing as he just stated he's not allowed.
3. Bullshit rumour? Where did you find this?
4. Obviously not.
5. If true, he's under no obligation to tell you and won't seeing as he just stated he's not allowed.
6. He's not an oracle.
7. If they are he won't tell you....just because you're badgering him with questions.
8. Why do you think?
9. Seriously think he's going to tell you?
1. Did i asked you anything?
2. Are you his lawyer?
3. Autosport plus said Mercedes has 70hp more than 2016.

PlatinumZealot

Ted kravitz everyone! Lol kidding.

Goran do not trust autosport's numbers.
They only have Mark hughes and gary anderson. Not very technical people. Great technical writers but not good track records.

Mercedes are not 70hp stronger. They are 30hp to 50hp the most at peak.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:Ted kravitz everyone! Lol kidding.

They are 30hp to 50hp the most at peak.

That doesnt make me more optimistic then 5 minutes ago..... :D

Btw thats 80hp(2016 gap/and remaning for now) + 30-50hp(2017)

PlatinumZealot

In 2016 this is where i had my numbers.
Mercedes were 950hp to 960
Ferrari 935
Renault 930
Honda 900 to 910

We know honda did break 900hp last year. It was quoted by someone who i do not remember at this time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:In 2016 this is where i had my numbers.
Ferrari 935
Renault 930
Honda 900 to 910

We know honda did break 900hp last year. It was quoted by someone who i do not remember at this time.
I heard 2016 gap was 60kw.
Cant remember where anymore.

mrluke
mrluke

PlatinumZealot wrote:In 2016 this is where i had my numbers.
Ferrari 935
Renault 930
Honda 900 to 910

Wazari previously confirmed honda and renault were within single digits on peak bhp.

I would have put Ferrari on par with Merc for peak power, maybe even slightly ahead, then renault and honda even, both maybe 30-40bhp behind.