Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:Good info from Wazari. By the way, come on Merc can't be 70hp stronger than last year. For sure they will make progress but they should make the smallest progress than any other P.U manufacturer since they already have the top P.U .
When in winter of 2014 someone said one team is 100hp ahead, everyone tought it was a joke as well.
Yes,Merceses has found 70hp from last year.
Chill with these power figures bro. Nobody knows each manufacture's peak powers or exact efficiencies. You can come close but since nothing is official yet take them with a grain of salt. And also, I see everyone in every thread desperate and looking for a new P.U supplier. It would be more than silly in the current V6 era to ditch Honda. Easily because they will finally get it right sooner or later, let alone the money and stuff. If you bring BMW it will take double the time since they will have to start from scratch. Honda is the way too go (so far).

HPD

Rumor:
The first rumors speak of a structural problem in the combustion chamber, the valves are not able to withhold the pressure for that, nor does it yield what is expected (with respect to the data of test bed) nor it obtains reliability
If it turns out to be true. It's very serious?

Steven
Owner

Please keep this topic about the technicalities of the Honda Power Unit.

Speculation about McLaren dumping Honda is completely irrelevant, and was split to its own topic:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=26038

Further such speculation will be deleted from this thread without further notice.

Steven
Owner

HPD wrote:Rumor:
The first rumors speak of a structural problem in the combustion chamber, the valves are not able to withhold the pressure for that, nor does it yield what is expected (with respect to the data of test bed) nor it obtains reliability
If it turns out to be true. It's very serious?
If that means the issues arise only when the engine is used as a structurally stressed component in the car, then yes it does sound like a big issue. If not, then I'm wondering what and how it can be missed on the dyno?
They can always add support bars running from rear of chassis to front of gearbox if that's the problem, because that sounds easier as a fix than strengthening the ICE.

hurril
hurril

GoranF1 wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:Good info from Wazari. By the way, come on Merc can't be 70hp stronger than last year. For sure they will make progress but they should make the smallest progress than any other P.U manufacturer since they already have the top P.U .
When in winter of 2014 someone said one team is 100hp ahead, everyone tought it was a joke as well.
Yes,Merceses has found 70hp from last year.
What is the source for this?

HPD

Last edited by HPD on 05 Mar 2017, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

Misfire? Valves not holding pressure? Extreme valve angles? Maybe the spark plugs got fouled? Cylinder bore spacing too thin? Maybe the head is lifting from the block?
Saishū kōnā

nzjrs

I can't decide if the highlight here was the great information from Wazari, or him finally running out of patience with the incessant Goran.

FW17

It was initially said that this years Honda engine is lighter and lower CoG than the previous years

on the other hand both Mec and Ferrari are said to have increased the weight of the engine by 5 kgs , for reliability and additional forces expected from a heavier and more loaded car.

Has Honda lost the plot again?

diffuser

nzjrs wrote:I can't decide if the highlight here was the great information from Wazari, or him finally running out of patience with the incessant Goran.
Highlight was that Goran believes Wazari works for Honda! Wazari must have shown him his birth certificate or something. :P

diffuser

FW17 wrote:It was initially said that this years Honda engine is lighter and lower CoG than the previous years

on the other hand both Mec and Ferrari are said to have increased the weight of the engine by 5 kgs , for reliability and additional forces expected from a heavier and more loaded car.

Has Honda lost the plot again?
That's a very vague statement right ??

For Example Did Honda PU go from 400KG to 200 KG and both Merc and Ferrari from 150KG to 155KG ?

ringo

I feel the issue is external loads on the engine and also its position.
For one we have more down force this year and thus more longitudinal and lateral bending loads on the engine.
The bigger wheels may also be behaving different than what Honda have calculated.
Also it sound silly, but the excessive rake on the car may not have been factored in by Honda. honda have have tested their engine in a horizontal position, only the realize that when installed in the car its sloping to one side.
The solution to that would be to angle the plane where the engine bolts up, and have the engine horizontal, or the redesign the engine to tolerate the slope.
So yeah these are possibilities of the issues in my book.
For Sure!!

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
nzjrs wrote:I can't decide if the highlight here was the great information from Wazari, or him finally running out of patience with the incessant Goran.
Highlight was that Goran believes Wazari works for Honda! Wazari must have shown him his birth certificate or something. :P

Posts deleted!

Please keep this topic about the technicalities of the Honda Power Unit.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

sticktion

FW17 wrote:this years Honda engine is lighter...than the previous years. Mec and Ferrari are said to have increased the weight of the engine by 5 kgs , for reliability. Has Honda lost the plot again?
I don't see how this follows. The Merc is an evolution of last year's design, while the 2017 Honda is obviously a ground-up effort. If we roll with the idea that the 2016 Honda was the heaviest, the new PU could still technically be heavier than the current Merc and lighter than last year's Honda.

Unless we see implication that the new Honda is lighter than the new Merc, I don't see a reason to get ruffled.

HPD

Steven wrote:If that means the issues arise only when the engine is used as a structurally stressed component in the car, then yes it does sound like a big issue. If not, then I'm wondering what and how it can be missed on the dyno?
They can always add support bars running from rear of chassis to front of gearbox if that's the problem, because that sounds easier as a fix than strengthening the ICE.
It's a shame..

Here is the news:
There seems to be a problem to the heat engine valves which do not maintain the increase of the pressure in the combustion chamber in addition to the need, immediately identified in the Montmelò tests, of having to redo the oil tank.

It is an issue that is linked to materials and stuff is not easy to solve.
Link: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... -1-879731/