Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mwillems

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 13:11
we can talk all we want hope all we want but the painful truth is Honda has totaly screw up the 2017 design....

Alonso: "As we can see, they were wrong in Japan so we have to figure out what is missing and change course."
I'm not sure they would see it the same way. I get the impression that Honda know where they are going, but they don't have the same priorities as Mclaren. Mclaren want results now and Honda seem focused on the art in the engineering, putting this ahead of quick and dirty results.

If it works then in the long run it could bring continued success until the new engine reg changes.

The progress from Testing to P13 in Australia is impressive, even if the backdrop of last years performance makes P13 seem bad. Is this engine design totally screwed up? Let's see in a few months. This is a poor situation, but reliability upgrades alone will unlock performance. Not having to shift so early, not having to detune the engine, gear shifts being smooth again.... there is a lot of time to be gained here.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

I think, so far, we've had an amazing weekend. We would have been sooo lucky if the 2nd test went this well.

I think McLaren are very happy with how thing have turned out this weekend. They are clearly getting getting good mileage in. SO they're a little further back Power wise ... Albert Park is a power track and we're 12th ...not bad. Looks good for PU 2!

GoranF1
GoranF1

HPD wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 15:28
sauberfan wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 15:09
German media is reporting about intensified actions of Mclaren to get rid of Honda within the season. Honda might then supply Sauber with engines, and Mclaren might be supplied by Mercedes!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/forme ... er-saison/
Mclaren digs his own grave..
Mclaren was right to look for works status after Merc.....but whit Honda its just taking so damn slow....maybe Audi or BMW deal would be easier....me thinks
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Redragon

I think they are not in so catastrophic situation, they are in power more or less as Ferrari engine last year for a new layout and design engine. So let's see where they are on 4 months time with no tokens development. Something that Honda already said before Christmas, the start would be hard because of reability.

About new reports of Mclaren ditching Honda on midseason, if I was Honda next time there is a cheque to sign off I would be, " Hey, we only pay for Alonso salary, the rest can be paid for Mercedes or your main sponsor that you promise 4 years ago"

Redragon

I think they are not in so catastrophic situation, they are in power more or less as Ferrari engine last year for a new layout and design engine. So let's see where they are on 4 months time with no tokens development. Something that Honda already said before Christmas, the start would be hard because of reability.

About new reports of Mclaren ditching Honda on midseason, if I was Honda next time there is a cheque to sign off I would be, " Hey, we only pay for Alonso salary, the rest can be paid for Mercedes or your main sponsor that you promise 4 years ago"

This situation is like that pretty girl that you are not having great sex with because relationship is wearing off and instead of working together to improve the situation you just discover she is a Gold digger when you tell her "Oh you want the new Calvin Klein underwear so why you don't pay for them" and she ditch you out on the spot

haza
haza

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 16:19
HPD wrote:
sauberfan wrote:
German media is reporting about intensified actions of Mclaren to get rid of Honda within the season. Honda might then supply Sauber with engines, and Mclaren might be supplied by Mercedes!

Mclaren was right to look for works status after Merc.....but whit Honda its just taking so damn slow....maybe Audi or BMW deal would be easier....me thinks
this project will work out in the end even after the misery that's happened so far

ringo

We need to be patient. Honda just needs a few more months. I don't think Mclaren can bail out now or next year. Best to ride the wave.
As for the electrics and vibration issues. Maybe Honda needs to compromise the weight of the electrical components now; ie make them a bit more robust, and put some slack in the cables until the vibrations are eliminated.

Scarbs has posted some really good pictures. Scarbs are we looking a a BOV piping going back into the plenum before the compressor? There is a small pipe on the right hand side.
For Sure!!

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 16:19
HPD wrote:
sauberfan wrote:

You'd get a Lada entry before an Audi entry in F1 these days. VAG are categorically out of upper tier fossil fuel powered motorsport. F1 would be in complete opposition to the mess they made dropping LMP1 and WRC1. BMW, maybe, but probably not, they didn't really enjoy their last foray and that was under a much less complicated technical rule set.

Besides, any new engine company joining will face the same heartaches as Honda, maybe not quite as embarrassingly, but they'd not be up to the pace of anyone important for a couple of years, by that time Honda will likely have got things sorted and whoever they move to supply will be reaping the benefits of McLaren's years of pain.

Dropping Honda now would be just stupid, regardless of the likelihood of championships, eventually Honda will be powerful enough to compete with the top end. IMO, they should at least supply a second team, Sauber would be a good candidate.

Singabule
Singabule

Yup, as we thought. Easy Man, PU2 is coming. At least this PU has the potential to score points tomorrow

mwillems

Singabule wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 17:20
Yup, as we thought. Easy Man, PU2 is coming. At least this PU has the potential to score points tomorrow
It has got to finish the race first.....
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

scarbs
scarbs

ringo wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 16:53
We need to be patient. Honda just needs a few more months. I don't think Mclaren can bail out now or next year. Best to ride the wave.
As for the electrics and vibration issues. Maybe Honda needs to compromise the weight of the electrical components now; ie make them a bit more robust, and put some slack in the cables until the vibrations are eliminated.

Scarbs has posted some really good pictures. Scarbs are we looking a a BOV piping going back into the plenum before the compressor? There is a small pipe on the right hand side.
Yes, you can see the 'gold' hydraulic actuator below the intercooler ducting.

alexa
alexa

Honda confirms talks with other teams

http://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/hond ... tory.shtml

Looks like there are teams that believe in Honda project :wink:

HPD

Alonso was saying on the radio. "I lose power when I go on pianos" ..
(Then searched the video)

nokivasara
nokivasara

alexa wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 20:00
Honda confirms talks with other teams

http://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/hond ... tory.shtml

Looks like there are teams that believe in Honda project :wink:
According to the article they are "in talks" with other teams that will be satellite teams. Not that Honda and McLaren will part ways.
This weekend has been very good for Honda, compared to the test weeks, so there's no reason to think that they wont sort things out. It's just very surprising that they showed up on the tests with such weak material. Both power and reliability wise.

About wasaris mysterious "froggy", could that be a certain frenchman?