2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Re: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

Lol at Nico's spin

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

beelsebob
beelsebob

Sevach wrote:Rosberg was all over the place today, he screwed both of his laps on the last set, trying too hard perhaps?
Great Q3 by Ricciardo, before the long straight he was actually on target for pole, after...
This was true of Vettel too. This is why I assert that the RedBull's aero package is at least as good as the Merc's.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Nice going Danny Boy!!
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

Well its supposed to be dry tomorrow so I expect Nico to mug the RBs within a lap or 2.

beelsebob
beelsebob

ChrisM40 wrote:Well its supposed to be dry tomorrow so I expect Nico to mug the RBs within a lap or 2.
Yep, I would be very surprised if it weren't HAM, ROS into the first corner even.

Shrieker

If it wasn't for a certain driver, Merc. would've scored only 1 pole out of 4 races and we'd be saying how Red Bull was better in the wet thanks to having superior downforce...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Waywardism
Waywardism

Is it just me or do all the non-works Mercedes-powered cars struggle in the wet?

Non-works Mercedes in Q3:
Australia (wet)- 4
Malaysia (wet) - 3
Bahrain (dry) - 7
China (wet) - 3

Great Jobs by Hamilton and Ricciardo today. It's going to be interesting to see how long it takes Rosberg to jump the Redbulls, and whether he'll be able to take the fight to Hamilton again.

SiLo

Could well be, but I bet Hamilton really wants a bull or two between him and Rosberg. (take that as you will :lol: )
Felipe Baby!

Sevach
Sevach

beelsebob wrote:
Sevach wrote:Rosberg was all over the place today, he screwed both of his laps on the last set, trying too hard perhaps?
Great Q3 by Ricciardo, before the long straight he was actually on target for pole, after...
This was true of Vettel too. This is why I assert that the RedBull's aero package is at least as good as the Merc's.
I agree.

zeph
zeph

I don't know the particulars of Raikkonen's struggles, but to be this far off the pace from Alonso begs the question, just how bad is that Ferrari really, or just how good is Alonso?

I have always rated Raikkonen highly, and perhaps he just has more trouble adjusting to the new formula, but I'd expected him to have sorted it out by now and draw closer to his teammate.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Waywardism wrote:Is it just me or do all the non-works Mercedes-powered cars struggle in the wet?

Non-works Mercedes in Q3:
Australia (wet)- 4
Malaysia (wet) - 3
Bahrain (dry) - 7
China (wet) - 3

Great Jobs by Hamilton and Ricciardo today. It's going to be interesting to see how long it takes Rosberg to jump the Redbulls, and whether he'll be able to take the fight to Hamilton again.
It's less that the non-works merc teams struggle, it's that the non-merc teams struggle less, because their engine power defect is normalised to a large extent.

beelsebob
beelsebob

zeph wrote:I don't know the particulars of Raikkonen's struggles, but to be this far off the pace from Alonso begs the question, just how bad is that Ferrari really, or just how good is Alonso?

I have always rated Raikkonen highly, and perhaps he just has more trouble adjusting to the new formula, but I'd expected him to have sorted it out by now and draw closer to his teammate.
To be honest, as sad as it is, I think all we're seeing is that Kimi is maybe not quite as good a driver as we might have thought he was in the past. He's still a pretty damn good driver, he's just not up there on the level of Alonso and Hamilton.

Sevach
Sevach

beelsebob wrote:
ChrisM40 wrote:Well its supposed to be dry tomorrow so I expect Nico to mug the RBs within a lap or 2.
Yep, I would be very surprised if it weren't HAM, ROS into the first corner even.
If it was a long drag race i would agree with it, but it's a rather short run to T1.

AfroDude41
AfroDude41

Pole lap from Lewis Hamilton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL-2vfjeYaI

iotar__

zeph wrote:I don't know the particulars of Raikkonen's struggles, but to be this far off the pace from Alonso begs the question, just how bad is that Ferrari really, or just how good is Alonso?
Differences in the wet are overall amplified, Rosberg was 0,7 behind Hamilton at one point, Vettel ended up half a second behind Ricciardo, for this particular pair even more. The rest is obvious from previous seasons and hardly surprising, plus new clean sheet cars and one more year.

Now it's time for over-hyping Ricciardo, especially from Red Bull. Soon enough joke about him being all-time great will be said seriously. Several seasons of mediocrity apart from couple of qualifying highlights, now after getting himself best downforce, traction, cornering car he's one of the best. I doubt it. At least Magnussen overly hype ceased along with his and McLaren's performance.

Lotus is trying very hard to maintain 100% failure rate in wet qualifying, you end up like that when you have no responsibility for strategy/timing mistakes, on the contrary it used to be OK. Who cares if it's five in a row.

With Rosberg - this is where you end up with safety first approach over the years- you can't just switch maximum attack on and off just like that. Just like last season there were some starts (Abu Dhabi?) when I thought drivers like Perez (worse overall) would have been in front of Vettel in the first corner. It may be smart this season but not without consequences - mistakes.