Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Racer X

Re: Haas - American team in F1

cossie wrote:Right now there is no one in Indy car worthy of a F1 drive, Danica no. American open wheel racing is still broke, hopefully Rossi and Connor Daly stay across the pond and put in their dues. They need to hire one that has experience, knows how to develop the car so the veteran driver will have a lot on his plate. Haas already said he wants one driver to have experience with this generation of cars and power unit IMO

Yeah he said one current driver from the grid will probably make a move for (im not saying him but guys like him) Massa. Strong drivers who like you said can develop a car.

BUT he also said ONE American driver we all know no American driver will trully be ready for Formula 1 in 2 years so i think 1 year with a girl like Danica Patric wouldnt be too bad and i mean its not like shes going to be racing for podiums we all know shes not.... She will be fighting guys like Max Chilton to not be at the back off the field its not exactly like the stakes will so high you cant atleast race the first season with her.... I really do think we will see Danica in F1 if not who no other Americans have any reall skill i mean look at INDY Car its dominated by European Drivers. there are only 2 Americans in the top 10 and they are only top 5 the 3rd fastest American is 15th....... This in a series that is comparable to GP2 or perhaps better but i just dont see any other driver better then Danica and not because i think shes great but because shes not going to suck and she will bring them alot ALOT off Fans shes the most famous Race Car driver in American Racing over guys like Gordon or Johnson. But there is also Mario and Andrettis grandson. i think he would do great hes not too old. has many years of experience in Indy Car.. But other then about 3 Americans HAAS really doesnt have options... unless he has looked at the GP2 drivers in which case he has 5 options Alexander Rossy and Conor Daly...

5 Americans total have remotely similar experience to an F1 driver 2 from GP2 and 3 from INDY Car..

And one of those 5 is the most popular Racing Driver in America and the other an Andretti....

If you put an Andretti in an American Race Team tickets will sell!!
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

MOWOG

If you put an Andretti in an American Race Team tickets will sell!!
I'm told that actually is the point of the whole thing, although most of the top leaders of the sport seem blissfully unaware of this simple fact! :P

I would suggest that Danica would have the same effect. Whether or not she can drive is irrelevant. Guys would pay to see a pair of tits in a race car. It's stupid, I know. But God made us the testosterone laden pigs that we are. You can bemoan the state of the human race or you can use it to make money. Whaddaya gonna do? :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Racer X

That is exactly my point and nobody agrees its genius i mean its not like HAAS is going to be fighting for the top spots in the sport they just need to Beat Max Chilton and Kamui Kobayashi and they will be able to call it a good season.

I think Danica Patric can beat them i really do plus shes actually really pretty. i was surprised to see how hot she is. and Andretti..... Hes actually pretty fast and an Andretti....

So i think they could even say screw it and make Team USA and go with both those two drivers Andretti for the long run and Danica as a short term lets sell some tickets and spread her leggs over our F1 car and sell some Calendars Deal. not a bad move....

Now if you will all excuse me and allot me to express my nationalism i would just like to add one more thing...........

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!! (win or loose) xD

Moxie
Moxie

I don't think the Taylor (Daytona Prototype drivers) brothers are ready for F1 right now. However, I do think they have the talent necessary, if they were to be provided the chance to hone their skills. I'd love to see either or both of them get a ride in GP2.

Racer X

They need to back the two current American GP2 drivers and and maybe help fund one more to go into it next season and try to compare them together get your self a bigger poor off drivers to chose from and help them get some Young Driver test drives as-well..

cossie
cossie

Marco is a midpack driver, so is Danica, stick with the 2 young gp2 kids and find a good veteran driver,

FW17

Still feel Ryan Hunter Reay is the best American open wheel racer at the moment, experienced and fast. Will be beaten by most GP2 graduates in qualifying but will be solid in the race.

Should be given a chance at HAAS along with Will Powers.

strad

I'm sorry I thought we were looking for an American driver.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

strad wrote:
I'm sorry I thought we were looking for an American driver.
Yes

But also drivers who Americans can identify in the sport.

Ask a NASCAR fan who Will Power is, the chances are that quiet a few might know him, same with Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti. Talk to the about Alexander Rossi and they will have a blank on their face.

HAAS trying to get US sponsors and US support for the team, it needs drivers with high visibility among the US demography.

Moxie
Moxie

Don't laugh at me (too much)for suggesting this, I recognize it is a looooong shot, extremely unlikely, near impossible suggestion, but here it goes...

Scott Pruett. Yes he is old. But he is extremely professional and competent. If it has wheels, he can race it. Give him the seat time, and he will make it go fast. I do agree that Rossi, and Daly represent the best options for a plug and play American driver. However, if Haas really wants an American in the seat, and doesn't want to be embarrassed, Pruett represents the peak of professionalism. Since he has already raced damn near everything, he has a reasonable amount of name recognition. Also while it would be inaccurate to call him a pay driver, with his longevity, I am willing to be the can bring a fair amount of sponsorship money with him.

The biggest problem with all of this is the lack of testing in F1. Any potential driver needs seat time. Rossi and Daily are the only two that are even close to being familiar with a modern F1 car.

FW17

Moxie wrote: I do agree that Rossi, and Daly represent the best options for a plug and play American driver.
On what basis? These guys have gone no where in GP2 which is a series lower than IRL.

Both these guys will be destroyed in IRL which has too many experienced guys around and making a mark is quiet difficult these days. IRL will be quiet an exiting series if they let in a couple of more chassis manufacturers.

dren

USAmericans are quite nationalistic. I'm going to say the team would sell more if it had a true US citizen in the cockpit, especially if you want to attract any of your run-of-the-mill NASCAR fans to the sport. Put Jr. in the car and you'll have a lot of NASCAR fans watch. Actually, I think it'd be great to have Kyle Busch have a go at it. F1 would finally have a driver with personallity again.

To attract your regular racing fans, a well known name would work best. I actually would love to see Montoya back...but that'll never happen.

Danica was more a pet for the media than was an actual fan favorite. I think she'd create more pile-ups than Maldonado.

Rossi is probably the best fit for F1. Ryan Hunter Reay would sell more, though.

I'd like to see a HAAS-Pabst Blue Ribbon car :wink:
Honda!

Moxie
Moxie

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Moxie wrote: I do agree that Rossi, and Daly represent the best options for a plug and play American driver.
On what basis? These guys have gone no where in GP2 which is a series lower than IRL.

Both these guys will be destroyed in IRL which has too many experienced guys around and making a mark is quiet difficult these days. IRL will be quiet an exiting series if they let in a couple of more chassis manufacturers.
The steering wheel.

Rossi and Daly have at least played with the DRS, and KERS knobs once or twice. I'm not saying they are the best drivers, but I do think that at this point they are the most familiar.

FW17

Moxie wrote: Rossi and Daly have at least played with the DRS, and KERS knobs once or twice.
=D> =D> =D>

Racer X

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Moxie wrote: Rossi and Daly have at least played with the DRS, and KERS knobs once or twice.
=D> =D> =D>

Regular Team operation in an F1 Car are different to other racing sports.

Its more demanding by quite some margin i would love see TWO Americans on the HAAS car to be honest.

I would like to see one of the GP2 Drivers be developed long term as a second driver.

while at the same time a popular driver as the first seat.

because you wont get Americans to follow these two GP2 drivers right off the bat.

but if you have TWO Americans at the same time we will see loads off American Fans flock to the team specially if one of

them is a popular NASCAR driver or INDY car but he has to be popular.