Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall II
bhall II

Re: Haas - American team in F1

Moxie wrote:Rossi and Daly have at least played with the DRS, and KERS knobs once or twice.
One's gotta imagine Danica's played with a few knobs, too. But, does that really make her qualified to drive in F1?

:D

Cam

Not sure that's appropriate. Women entering any sport have a tough enough time without yobbos hurling innuendo.
The licence is issued to drivers who have met a criteria of success in junior motorsport categories and achieved 300 kilometres (190 mi) of running in a Formula One car.
That's all that's required. If we want to discuss who's "qualified" to drive in F1, well, there's a few male drivers of questionable skill that seem to have managed it.

F1 is less and less about driver skill (we've had whole threads on it) and more about marketing and show. So why would any driver be any less appropriate under those circumstances?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

bhall II
bhall II

Cam wrote:Not sure that's appropriate. Women entering any sport have a tough enough time without yobbos hurling innuendo.

[...]
So, the only way for women to be considered equal to everyone else is if we treat them differently than everyone else? Got it.

If it's valid to argue that Pastor Maldonado has ascended through the ranks of motorsport because of his financial backing, then it's equally valid to argue that Danica Patrick has done likewise because of her status as a sex symbol, a position she's actively sought and exploited.

(But, most importantly, it was a ---' joke.)

Cam

Call me old fashioned, but I consider there to a difference between a female (or male) who models to promote their sport, and the inference that they handle cocks.

Probably wrong though. I'm on a run at the moment.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Racer X

She has used her good loocks to get more money out of things. and opportunities aswell so i think she earns a little dirty talk unlike other women like for example Susie from Williams... Its the same for men some are ass holes so you treat them like ass holes whats the difference respect is earned shes a sex symbol. Shes a public figure and i think its okay to call her on it.... Either way tho a good money making tool!!
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Cam

Wow. ok. I guess I'm all alone here on this one. I've always been taught to never joke about that sort of thing. Question the conflicting messages being put out by appearing in 'revealing' photos, while appealing for sporting credibility - sure. I have no problem with that discussion. But surely a line needs to be drawn at the suggestion of sexual acts.

For the record, I don't agree with what Danica has done in the past. Yes, she sold out to flaunt her body as an advertising tool to make money. Same can be said for many sporting stars, males included, or is Beckam in his undies different somehow? She shouldn't pose semi-naked and ask for that to not used against her. That hasn't happened and that's not what happened here either. The insinuation was not about any modelling - it was about her ability to handle male appendages.

A joke? It was in poor taste - at least I thought it was.

Danica is perfect for the role of F1 driver, both for her sporting ability and her marketing value. Will she win a WDC? Who knows. But unless F1 does something to get women into F1 - the continued look of being a male dominated chauvinistic exercise in hypocrisy - won't end. And that's backed up with jokes like this. That's not good for woman, for kids or the sport as whole either.
― Socrates

bhall II
bhall II

For the record: I suggested nothing about her ability to burp Private Ryan. I wouldn't know.

Cam

bhall II wrote:One's gotta imagine Danica's played with a few knobs, too.
bhall II wrote:(But, most importantly, it was a ---' joke.)
bhall - it's clear what you were saying. Whether it was a reflection of your values, a joke, tongue in cheek or poorly worded - you said it. You're entitled to that opinion. I'm simply saying I disagree and find it repulsive. I'm also entitled to that opinion - or again, is this forum only open to the 'few'?
bhall II wrote:For the record: I suggested nothing about her ability to burp Private Ryan. I wouldn't know.
I'll say no more on the matter. I'm in the minority, I'm wrong, I'm ranting, I'm a fan boy, I love Red Bull, I'm insane, I make no sense..... I'm also used to it.

Have a great day.
― Socrates

strad

Actually, I think it'd be great to have Kyle Busch have a go at it. F1 would finally have a driver with personallity again.
I love it when you joke around like that.
Neither Kurt nor Kyle have any personality imo, Unless by personality you mean being jerks. and neither could begin to belong in an F1 cockpit. again imo.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

countersteer
countersteer

Josef Newgarden... If he was driving for any one of the big 3, he would already have several wins. As it is, he's driving for a small, underfunded, single car team and continues to show well.

As for marketing appeal, He's young, good looking, articulate and has a great personality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Newgarden

strad

Certainly better than Busch :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Racer X

Well for the record i didnt make a joke that was out of taste but i do believe that you get what you earn and they pose like this then they welcome it.

kind off hard to take them seriously if they go around like this..

Cam

Racer X wrote:Well for the record i didnt make a joke that was out of taste but i do believe that you get what you earn and they pose like this then they welcome it.

kind off hard to take them seriously if they go around like this..

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/ ... 1bfbb8.png
Both sexes do it, most sports have their respective 'pin ups', and use that to further their careers. Fully acceptable. If you believe that you cannot take a woman seriously for doing exactly the same thing as a man - well, there's a word for that.

The line is drawn at singling out a woman and then suggesting they can handle "knobs" so they must be suitable. I realise I'm the only one where who has an issue with that kind of tonne, which is kinda sad.

― Socrates

FW17

or look stupid like this

Racer X

I rather looks stupid like Hamilton they be an ass hole like Hunt. Tho hunt was an awesome racer an ass hole off the field.... Im not saying its wrong im just saying its something they need to accept that they are welcoming them selves to be treated like tools both men and women who do that... just like hamilton is open to being maid fun off for looking stupid... lol... so two are those girls opening to Sexist remarks by doing that type of photoshoots there have been other female drivers who dont do that type off thing they understand that they wont be taken seriously if they do. but oh well....

Anyways HAAS would be smart to put her in their car because she will bring alot of attention to the team.