Domenicali Steps Down!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: Domenicali Steps Down!

Once Ferrari gets the PU sorted, they will be just fine. They have won races the last several years and Alonso was in title contention for a few of them. They aren't in bad shape, they just aren't dominating like they did in the Schumacher-Brawn era. Brawn is/was a great manager. It is hard to say what is exactly wrong at Ferrari. Perhaps Monte is too hands on, or maybe he is just outspoken and more hands off than we think? Don't forget, Kimi was the last WDC for Ferrari...
Honda!

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:Montezemolo and Todt wre the best team managers that Ferrari ever had. The problem began when Monte came back and started to interfer with Todt managing Ferrari. Todt could have done that for many more years had Monte not started to micro manage everything relevant including driver decisions. Todt would have left Ferrari perfectly tuned and with a good successor (Brawn) in place. Brawn would equally have worked out a succession in time. It was all wrecked by Monte who dictated that Kimi was to be brought in. The move killed off the dream team and was the begin of Ferrari's decline. Since then Ferrari have been living from past glory. Not even the invaluable chance to do an integrated design of power units and chassis from scratch and use road car resources was significantly exploited at Ferrari compared to the effort at Mercedes. The people Monte has planted there clearly have no clue how to fight claws and teeth for a championship. This will not change until they find a replcement for Todt and give him free reigns.
And this inside-Ferrari-a-decade ago you know how, just asking?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ultra_Tech
Ultra_Tech

Dom HAD to go, the only shock was how he survived so many years of Incompetance.

Terrible team principle, weak, non technical and to think Ferrari allowed this guy in when Ross Brawn could have been a potential TP.

This is my opinion not fact, but the sh*t is hitting the fan at Ferrari now, we need to retain Alonso any which way we can and changes have to be made now, we need to deliver him with the car he has been promised and pay him back for all the hard work he has put in driving dumpster trucks for years. LDM pulling him aside before the last race was no accident, he obviously assured Alonso that Ferrari will do whatever it takes to get him the car he needs and that heads will start rolling.

marcush.
marcush.

beelsebob wrote:Honestly, I'm amazed by the amount of impact that you guys think a manager can have. Ultimately, if the car is crap, that's down to the people designing the car. The most impact that management will have had is 1) setting budgets 2) hiring in the right people 3) setting priorities.

The only one I can really fault Stephano on is number 2 (which hey, is probably enough to hang him, but they should be setting to work on that right now).

The CEO is one of the key assets in every big company .You just Need somebody who is driving the People in the right direction and makes things happen does hire and fire and organises good People to form a Team capable of beating the ROW.

Obviously Domenicali is Team principal ,and at Redbull it seems as if Horner is more of an deputy principal simply because Mateschitz runs the Show and trusts Marko more than he does the english guy but still you Need someone who supplies the goods and recources opening opportunities for the genius boffins .
How often have we seen good People/Teams constantly underachieving no matter how much Money and who they seem to hire or fire.
This is purely Management
Newey alone is a road well paved to hell methinks...at least if you try to get your car ready for THIS season .

henra
henra

marcush. wrote: Newey alone is a road well paved to hell methinks...at least if you try to get your car ready for THIS season .
Luxury Problem.
In reality you probably need this kind of Artist as a prerequisite for great achievements and then you need Management to steer them to really deliver results and to not get lost on their way.
With Ferrari it seems they are missing a bit of both. Where is the Genius that needs to be kept in check?
Once you found the Genius you might come to the point where you find out that you've got a management problem.
I'm not sure Ferrari really arrived at that point.
There might be a point about Focus and Motivation of the Team (Leadership), but that is difficult to judge from the oustide, in all fairness. Besides that I'm not sure SD really had the freedom of Action to really change things in the bigger scheme, i.e. hiring of key personnel (read: the Artists, which then tend to create a management challenge...) plus the funds to do so.

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote: ...
The CEO is one of the key assets in every big company .You just Need somebody who is driving the People in the right direction and makes things happen does hire and fire and organises good People to form a Team capable of beating the ROW.
I respectfully disagree marcush, my xperience is that the importance of the CEO is very overrated.

diffuser

xpensive wrote:
I respectfully disagree marcush, my xperience is that the importance of the CEO is very overrated.

They personalty consume a large portion of the budget.

Ted68

Rikhart wrote:I think briatore would do wonders at ferrari.
Yes. Flavio would definitely get the ball rolling there. Briatore would start the fires.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Nelson1
Nelson1

xpensive wrote: I respectfully disagree marcush, my xperience is that the importance of the CEO is very overrated.
Sure, that's the beauty and the curse of that job, you're heroic and contribute very little when everything is going great. When things aren't going well you're the source of many problems and your head is on the block...

Bottom line, they want to win, they have spent money to put the talent in to places to win and they aren't. There is a piece or multiple pieces that don't fit or aren't pulling in the same direction as everybody else, or something more fundamental is broken. With an organization like Ferrari, I could see this potentially being a very complex issue. In this case, the new boss is free to examine everything, including things that Domenicali wouldn't or couldn't.

sennaf1god.94

xpensive wrote:
That's just wrong.

If Ferrari hadn't had the good luck of Peugeot's board bad decision of entering F1 as mere engine suppliers instead of a full Peugeot Sport F1 team...

No Todt...
No Peugeot engineers stolen...
No MS...
No Ross Brawn...
No tittles.

Ferrari would be racing LeMans instead F1 and Peugeot would still be dominating today.

A CEO not only can change a single team's fortunes but the whole sport's.

Clue: the current V6 Ferrari turbo is the first engine since 1993 without the touch of Peugeot ex-engineer and Honda F1 refugee Gilles Simon...and therefore won't win a single race in the years ahead.
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

xpensive
xpensive

I had no idea that Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn, Michael Schumacher and Luca Marmorini all came from Peugeot? :lol:

autogyro
autogyro

I just thought the guy was far to nice to be a Ferrari manager.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Kiril Varbanov

Ex Ferrari head of press Luca C. argues that you don't need to be as$hole if you want to be successful in F1. I can certainly disagree with that, as F1 is a cruel place for those who think the world is ideal, and there are big wolves over there. Fact is, the nice guys left the house.

In the meantime, your voice will matter - http://www.f1technical.net/poll/index.php?dispid=271 - Do you think sacking Stefano will solve Ferrari issues?

More fuel in the fire by Maurice Hamilton at ESPN - http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/motorsport/ ... 54109.html
As I said on Twitter, strangely, lots of people seem to be missing Stefano right now. Previously, only those who wanted his head were vocal enough with one or two exceptions. Certainly, the world isn't black and white, and there's always context, but the bottom line is that Stefano was a respected figure and no one in the paddock will be left with bad feelings. In bocca al lupo.

P.S. So far, according to the poll, not many of you seem to think that Stefano's resignation will solve Ferrari issues.

sennaf1god.94

xpensive wrote:I had no idea that Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn, Michael Schumacher and Luca Marmorini all came from Peugeot? :lol:
You missed it...

All came onboard due to an ex Peugeot Sport CEO. No Todt means no Ferrari dream team. Instead all those people would had been signed by Peugeot Sport F1 with Todt maintaning his CEO position. I remind you Todt was just a rally copilot...

And you shouldn't (had missed it) as the conversation verses about CEO's importance.

What points at your comment being irrelevant.
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva