Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

LVDH wrote: My car is similar to JJR's car but copying anything from him just does not seem to work on mine. Well, opening the rear wheel houses like he did works (very little). Maybe I will find out what the louvers do. I have a suspicion but from my experience it will once more simply just not work for me.
Well, considering that you out-performed JJR at the last round maybe the louvers don't do anything (or have very little effect)... or only work if everything else on the cars is the same.... or maybe JJR would be quicker without them too?!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

JJR seems to be very quite, maybe we can get some comments about his design after the season.
But looking esp. at the side openings they look like a lot of modeling effort so I suspect they do something useful.

JJR
JJR

Actually I spend a lo of time to optimized side openings and in my testing they were quite efficient with combination with front diffuser and with front wing with low angle of attack.But I have bad correlation with official result so I deside to come back with old solution.
Last edited by JJR on 28 Oct 2015, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

About side openings: it is a bit difficult to imagine if applied to my car geometry, but I'm going to use something inspired by JJR openings

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

It looks like there might also be a lecture in Italy (according to the Linkedin profile) - but I can't find any other trace.

Re openFoam for Windows: Since the openFoam for Windows is a virtual machine with Linux. I think that I might be going the way of porting OCCFD directly to Linux - which is already half-way there as it runs on Linux in Amazon - so that it can run directly from the VM. There might be some issues along the way, but it looks like the most promising route. The alternative one was to start the VM with a script, but I haven't find a way to achieve this...

LVDH

Will there be changes to the solver compared to the last race?
I do not want to repeat what happened last time.

CAEdevice

Last submission done! Finally the last race arrived: mine has been a good season concluded at the 4th place in the general chart, but not everything is lost about the podium.

LVDH

It seems a first picture of my new car has also been leaked:

cdsavage
cdsavage

There's about 16 hours left until the deadline for round 6. So far we have entries from:
JJR
CAEdevice
Kineuton
Mercury Motorsport
Brook Motorsport
Variante

LVDH

My car is running through the last two final CFD runs.
An article about the development can be found here:
http://mantiumcae.com/mantiumcae-new-ca ... kvrc-race/

Here are the pictures:

CAEdevice

I'm going to use a swept rear profile too, but in my case, only the incidence angle of 3 sections has been roughly approximated.

LVDH

Cool, I thought I would be the only one with a more elaborate rear wing.
So maybe, we will have our fight for the last victory of the season and these other two guys leading the championship will be somewhere in the rest of the pack with TF securing a third position.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:Cool, I thought I would be the only one with a more elaborate rear wing.
So maybe, we will have our fight for the last victory of the season and these other two guys leading the championship will be somewhere in the rest of the pack with TF securing a third position.
Considering the track we will race in (Sepang) I'm going to race with a second car to better control my opponents. My team is in talks with a rookie driver in the LMP-like races. It seems to me that he is called Marquez.

(Joking: no second car allowed :( )

CAEdevice

MP003 final release (tomorrow I will add more pictures in the dedicated thread).

variante

LVDH, it's a brave choice to change the whole rear end of your car!
BTW I hope you will go deeper explaining us how those smart solutions work, after the cahmpionship's end.

I'm also curious to know what JJR has come up with...