2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Waywardism
Waywardism

Re: 2014 German Grand Prix

Are there any grid penalties for this race?

gandharva

LOL, at the end of the season even Force India will outqualify Ferrari/Renault driven cars.

FoxHound

Juzh wrote:How predictable is that. Vettel this year always messes up his final attempt when it counts.
I think it's the pressure of having competition within the team. And it's only become predictable since Ricciardo's stellar performances.
JET set

matt_b
matt_b

The future stars Ricciardo, Bottas, Mag and Kvyat all impressive today.

Sevach
Sevach

Without Fric Williams might be able to race Mercedes tommorow, they are closer than even Austria imo.

FoxHound

Sevach wrote:Without Fric Williams might be able to race Mercedes tommorow, they are closer than even Austria imo.
Exactly what the FIA needed and wanted.
JET set

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

FoxHound wrote:Ricciardo outdoes Vettel once more. =D>
What is most annoying is the commentators.

When vettel was up in the first part if q3 they were saying

"vettel is back"
"He seems to have the upper hand again this weekend"
"Big gap to ric"

And then after quali, "vettel behind again," "story of the season." Bloody commentators can only commentate on what they see then and there, it is like the don't have any perspective of a whole season

Youhavebeendunn

Long time lurker, forgot my other account.

Do you guys think that merc will risk on using FRIC on Lewis's car? He is so far behind, they have nothing to lose.

matt_b
matt_b

Sevach wrote:Without Fric Williams might be able to race Mercedes tommorow, they are closer than even Austria imo.
They have a big chance down the straight on the opening lap like Austria, but Mercedes will probably have the pace in clean air.

iotar__

Mandrake wrote:Lewis is using a different brake disk supplier than Nico according to Toto Wolff. Also this was a last minute change...any other reports on this? Lewis chose a more aggressive brake is what Toto said
So they're letting him choose type of brakes and change them last minute which may lead to failures? OK, fine by me.

McLaren seemed to have benefited from lack of FRIC, Bottas quite close to Merc so I guess Williams?, Lotus lost - they should watch last year's GP instead of competing and bang their heads against the wall for lost chances, RB probably gained, they were close to Williams (which was closer to Merc etc.), hard to say with drivers/laps; Vettel's last one wasn't that good and he was more comfortable earlier. Plus engines of course. It's hot maybe Ferrari is running cooling/engine is some conservative mode?

cherok1212

Has Merc hired Whitmarsh to oversee Lewis' car and he brought over his old Macca crew? Jus sayin...
If consistently being 7/10ths faster than you is a "mind game", then yes Jenson, Lewis was playing "games" with you.

sAx
sAx

Mandrake wrote:Lewis is using a different brake disk supplier than Nico according to Toto Wolff. Also this was a last minute change...any other reports on this? Lewis chose a more aggressive brake is what Toto said
Paddy Lowe just confirmed failure of the carbon fibre material on Hamilton's Brembo discs...which there has been a number of this season. Rosberg is using Carbon Industry and there has been no experience of the problem there. Lowe's hint of the number of Brembo disc material failures this season, wasn't exclusively for the AMG Mercedes Team.
Last edited by sAx on 19 Jul 2014, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Phil

Am i correct that Lewis has already been using Brembo since last year? Or was it something he switched back to this year after being uncomfortable with Carbon Industry beginning of last?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Even so this is not the first brake failure Mercedes have had this season. It's not really something you can blame Lewis for, either another part of the brake system failed or there's a manufacturing fault in the disc brake itself. Better it happened in qualifying than in the race. At least we'll get to see one fricless Mercedes carving it's way through the field tomorrow.

iotar__

matt_b wrote:The future stars Ricciardo, Bottas, Mag and Kvyat all impressive today.
Bottas probably (I agree mostly because I said it a long time ago :wink: ) but with many question marks. He has to show he can perform consistently, under pressure and against some competition. Austria qualifying was bad, Australia etc.; most of the time they're not competing with anyone. Massa is an OK measuring stick in terms of speed, the rest we'll see.

The rest hardly - they haven't shown anything to suggest future stars prediction and many things pointing to the contrary.