Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Thunder

Re: Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

I'm sure once the Cars are actually built for the 18 Inch Wheels everything will look better aerodynamically. The Lotus was just a current Car with 18 Inch Wheels slapped onto, of course some Things look a little odd.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Holm86

Really looking forward to hear how they were to drive. Were they just rolling around the track?? Cant imagine they would be able to push very hard on those wheels.

Thunder

I don't think they pushed too hard. They didn't even adjust the Ride Height from what i see, i am sure they didn't adjust Track, Camber, Damper Settings or the Torsion Bar either. So it could have been horrible to drive. ^^

Edit: According to AMuS this was declared a Show Run. So Charles Pic only did 14 Laps and was 10 sec. slower than the Rest.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bhall II
bhall II

Believe me; I know they're not the same. But, after years of seeing 13-inch rims on F1 cars, my initial impression of the change is...

(I'd drive the --- out of that, by the way.)

lks
lks

Looks nice, i could easily get use to that size.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

I'm with The Deuce in that I also don't like the look. They look like the T shirt cartoon cars that have greatly exaggerated wheels. I can't see the teams liking these, since they will be a lot heavier and force a serious suspension redesign. But in their stupid quest for PC relevance and to slow down the cars even more, I could see the FIA cramming it down their throats.

AnthonyG

That's just hidious.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

roadie

Personally I think the 15" or 16" wheels as used in Indycar would strike a better middle ground.

krisfx
krisfx

Thunders wrote:I'm sure once the Cars are actually built for the 18 Inch Wheels everything will look better aerodynamically. The Lotus was just a current Car with 18 Inch Wheels slapped onto, of course some Things look a little odd.

I doubt the teams would run bigger brakes to fill the wheels, they're already braking stupidly late and the weight cost would surely outweigh the stopping benefit?

slimfitcasual

flyboy2160 wrote:But in their stupid quest for PC relevance and to slow down the cars even more, I could see the FIA cramming it down their throats.
What's PC relevant about 18" rims/tyres?
Per ardua ad astra

FrukostScones

THAT IS GROSS LOOKING AND ARTIFICIAL NONSENSE.

F1 cars are not horse carriages. Thanks you Michelin and boyracers...

Surely I like a fat tyre/wheel combo but not in these awkward proportions on an F1... Yuck!

There was no problem, but now we have this horrible solution... and no it is not only the ugly wheel design... the whole thing brings a rat tail of problems with it... please nooooooooooooooo.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

nismo

That looks awful. As soon as I saw that, for some reason, this is the first thing that came to my head:

wrcsti
wrcsti

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

I'd think the stiffer sidewall would be a welcome change. Relying less on something made out of factory and being able to tune the mechanical grip more directly by setup and design.

Mamba
Mamba

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Those rims just do not look right for me... I wonder how the teams will package and develop things at the front if those types of tyres are cleared for use...

MAMBA

mrluke
mrluke

Thunders wrote:I don't think they pushed too hard. They didn't even adjust the Ride Height from what i see, i am sure they didn't adjust Track, Camber, Damper Settings or the Torsion Bar either. So it could have been horrible to drive. ^^

Edit: According to AMuS this was declared a Show Run. So Charles Pic only did 14 Laps and was 10 sec. slower than the Rest.

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Cha ... 792979.jpg
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Cha ... 792976.jpg
Look spot on there.

I was a big aghast at the first pictures but they suit perfectly in the ones above.