Dali SD014

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Daliracing

Re: Dali SD014

CAEdevice wrote:Ok! I've just received your email, let me work on it a couple of days : )
thanks alot for doing this :D

CAEdevice

Not at all! I'm curious about your car simulation.

Daliracing

CAEdevice wrote:Not at all! I'm curious about your car simulation.
I'm also curious about the simulation :D its the first time i've designed a F1 car so i really want to know the results :D

Daliracing

i'm a few days away so u can just send me an email or something with the results :D i can't wait to see it :D

CAEdevice

I'm quite busy, but I'll give you news in a few days

CAEdevice

Your simulation model is ready, I'll run the solution on next Monday.

Daliracing

CAEdevice wrote:Your simulation model is ready, I'll run the solution on next Monday.
thank you very much! i can't wait but take your time :D

CAEdevice

Hi Daliracing, here are the CFD results.

There some details that are not legal, among them the most important are:

1) Absence of the stepped floor (I adjusted the mimumum floor height to minimize the differences)
2) Rear wing dimensions (flaps are about 70/80 mm longher than allowed)
3) Front wing dimensions exceeds rules when viewed from above
4) Front wing central section is different from the only one allowed section (neutral with an angle of 4° degrees)
5) The body has something wrong with the maximum allowed heigth (this doesn't influence the results very much, but it would not be legal).

I noticed that you used 20mm thick winglets: that will increase drag, I think that 10mm could be enough.

The simulation considered a speed value of 100mph:
  • Total drag: 1140 N
  • Total downforce: 1472 N
  • Cl.A: 1.20 m2
  • Centre of pressure (COP): 0.81 m (your car is not balanced, you should look for more floor downfroce or try an higer downforce rear wing, that would incread drag). The COP values should vary from 1.6 to 2.0 (m), measured from the front wheels centerline.
Consider that the results can be slightly different from the "official" CFD results obtained with Khamsin/OpenFoam (+/- 10%)

Daliracing

thankyou very much! so there are only a few illegal things on my car? and i don't really know how to compare the results. can you help me with that? i also took 20mm winglets because i found that in the fia rules so i tought this was the minimum value of the winglets. and the height i tought that was okay because i looked at the reference plane for the max height. i will try to make it better. also, do you have any ideas to increase the df of the floor? i'm not sure how to get it right. maybe a better diffusor.

again many thanks for doing it! =D>

CAEdevice

Daliracing wrote:thankyou very much! so there are only a few illegal things on my car? and i don't really know how to compare the results. can you help me with that? i also took 20mm winglets because i found that in the fia rules so i tought this was the minimum value of the winglets. and the height i tought that was okay because i looked at the reference plane for the max height. i will try to make it better. also, do you have any ideas to increase the df of the floor? i'm not sure how to get it right. maybe a better diffusor.

Hi, I'm not sure about the winglets thickness, I remember 10mm, but I can be wrong.
Actually the illegal items are quite important : )

Yes, the floor height is right, but there is no central step.

About the floor: you should consider a different diffuser (the actual one generates some vortex in its own volume).

The (illegal) rear wing can be improved too: you can gain about 100N more just using the profiles of my rear wing (see the step version).

Daliracing

CAEdevice wrote:
Daliracing wrote:thankyou very much! so there are only a few illegal things on my car? and i don't really know how to compare the results. can you help me with that? i also took 20mm winglets because i found that in the fia rules so i tought this was the minimum value of the winglets. and the height i tought that was okay because i looked at the reference plane for the max height. i will try to make it better. also, do you have any ideas to increase the df of the floor? i'm not sure how to get it right. maybe a better diffusor.

Hi, I'm not sure about the winglets thickness, I remember 10mm, but I can be wrong.
Actually the illegal items are quite important : )

Yes, the floor height is right, but there is no central step.

About the floor: you should consider a different diffuser (the actual one generates some vortex in its own volume).

The (illegal) rear wing can be improved too: you can gain about 100N more just using the profiles of my rear wing (see the step version).
How much does this step needs to be? also i don't have the fw dimensions only the width, so i've used some from the 2013 season but made it smaller.

Do you know a good free cfd program? then i can test things and work faster on my car. ( not that i don't apperciate what you've done for me :D )

Is adding some vains good for the diffusor? will the vortex then move?

CAEdevice

Daliracing wrote: How much does this step needs to be? also i don't have the fw dimensions only the width, so i've used some from the 2013 season but made it smaller.
I think the step is 50mm
Daliracing wrote: Do you know a good free cfd program? then i can test things and work faster on my car. ( not that i don't apperciate what you've done for me :D )
OpenFoam (the same solutor used in the KVRC), that us quite difficult to use (but in CFD the biggest difficulty is to subject itself). You can do the first steps of development with SWX FlowSimulation, it's not free, but maybe you can ask for a Student Edition.
Daliracing wrote: Is adding some vains good for the diffusor? will the vortex then move?
I think you have to fix every not legal detail (FIA rules are downlodable in their website, anyway you can ask for help to the admin of the KVRC who are on this forum: the KVRC rule book could be useful), then think about performance.
About the diffuser: it seems that your diffuser is too "steep". Vains can improve it, but they are difficult to be placed in the right place: during last KVRC I decided to not use them in a race because it's better to not have them than to have them in a wrong place.

Mr Nür

It is really interesting. Very nice project.

Daliracing

Mr Nür wrote:It is really interesting. Very nice project.
thank you very much! :D

Daliracing

then i will need to design a whole new car in parts. otherwise it will hit the ground. i do have the solidworks student editoon but i can't make the flowsim work. i gonna do the car later on because i need to study atm. thanks for all the help!