It seems that Mclaren is back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
phantomfocus
phantomfocus

Just looking at those time gets me excited!, and Ferrari aren't even present at this test! I really can't pick a sole car that has a definite advantage. I think we are in for an awesome first round! :D

doorboot
doorboot

I think the first priority for Mcalren was to sort out their engine reliability problems, this seems to be done now. Their next challenge is to find more power and as a consequence more speed. I do not however think that they will be podium competative in the first two or three races. Love to be wrong though.
BTW it is to be seen wheter their engine will be good enough for multiple race distances, I think that will be wishfull thingking. We are after all talking about Merc engines...
"I'm the manager, I make decisions, I'm responsible for the defeat - not for the victories, for the defeats"- Jose Mourinho

tetopelis
tetopelis

hmmm...about the low fuel load thingi..i think its all a superb guess work and my personal view...no..cos both cars did post a faster recorded time the next day..so if the were in low fuel load..that couldn't have happened could it?(even though improving track conditions can be a factor..but not that much)..and all the articles i have read said kimi was out on a qualifiying style lap before his lap was disturbed by a ralf red flag. so we all can wonder about that.
I honestly they are on the track back and really will surprise everyone come bahrin..but i'm gonna keep the optimism canned abit..don't wanna jinx them..;)
well as they say don't underestimate a team like mclaren. they after all on record the second most successful team in formula1. with that much history, they definetly know how to come out of a slump fast. and get the winner rolling.
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

dcdabest
dcdabest

I am a very loyal McLaren fan but I still don't share your optimism. After checking out the excellent website: circuitcat.com (thanks Jony) and comparing the lap times (every single lap time of every driver is recorded!) of the McLarens, Hondas and Renaults at the Barcelona test of 23rd February, I came to the conclusion that Renault seem to be the fastest by some margin.

First, it is important to note that the top 5 times on this day (the 1:13.9s by Honda and the Renaults plus the 1:14.5s by JPM) were all achieved on single lap runs. Presumably they "ran on fumes".

Now, ignoring these one-lap times, I looked at the long runs conducted by Alonso, Barrichello and Montoya. Kimi and Fisi were doing shorter runs so I ignore them. Basically, on the 20th straight lap, Alonso's best was a 1:15.5, JPM's best a 1:17.0 and Barrichello's a 1:18.9 ! Does this mean the Renault is using its Michelin tyres the best? I noticed that Alonso seemed careful to be good to his tyres on the first few laps (slower here than JPM and Barr.)...

My slight analysis is too simplistic I am sure as there are many factors. Others should look at these times (23rd feb was the last day that the major teams were testing together) and see what they think:
http://aplicacions.circuitcat.com/Espor ... p?Cursa=51

Sorry for the length, just wanted to scare fellow fans.
Im thinking of all the li'l starving Africans...

Principessa

I really think that McLaren still needs a lot of time to come up with a solution for their problems. I think Renault, Honda, Ferrari and Williams will be very strong this season. And McLaren can be too, with two very good drivers, but they need to solve their engine and reliability problems or it will be a lost season for the team!

Principessa

BTW: McLaren doesn't even has time to put their 2006 Press Pack online....they are too busy working on their problems :P

(Darren Almond picture)

Well here are some pictures for the McLaren fans...as a peace offer :oops:

vyselegend

Raikonen 1m09.433s on valencia track today. And he achived more than 100 laps. Seems Mac Laren is definitly back on top!

manchild
manchild

vyselegend wrote:Raikonen 1m09.433s on valencia track today. And he achived more than 100 laps. Seems Mac Laren is definitly back on top!
"When the cat's away..."

Renault wasn't there testing today so it was easy to be on top.

vyselegend

Yep, that's true, renault wasn't here today. Anyway, this is the second time he beats the record here. I wonder what kind of cars are advantaged at Valencia. I belive it's a low/medium speed track, but I don't know what specifications a car need to be fast here. Where can I find images of the layout of this track?

manchild
manchild

vyselegend wrote:... Where can I find images of the layout of this track?

vyselegend

Thanks! :wink: that's exactly what I was searching for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with all this short straits, traction is the most important factor here, isn't it?

Miki Kologranic
Miki Kologranic

manchild wrote:
vyselegend wrote:Raikonen 1m09.433s on valencia track today. And he achived more than 100 laps. Seems Mac Laren is definitly back on top!
"When the cat's away..."

Renault wasn't there testing today so it was easy to be on top.
Regardless, 100 laps without major problems is a good start...

phantomfocus
phantomfocus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with all this short straits, traction is the most important factor here, isn't it?
I would agree, a medium to medium-high level downforce package appears to be most likely. Google earth rocks! It's great for things such as this!

dcdabest
dcdabest

I agree that it is a traction track.

McLaren have said in the past (mid 2004) that Valencia isn't a very good indicator of true pace, preferring tracks like Barcelona with its mix of fast and slow corners.

I remember them testing well there in 2004 before proceeding to suck when the racing began.

Let's hope it isn't the same this year! :roll:
Im thinking of all the li'l starving Africans...

ranger
ranger

You won't know...Mclaren can blast suddenly from slow laps to fast laps.. :lol: but there's 1 thing special:the colour http://www.mclaren.co.uk/images/homepag ... -21-06.jpg[/img]
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel