2015 Noses merged thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: 2015 Noses merged thread

The width of the nose 50mm behind the tip is too large, it is set to 140mm in 2015. See my drawings on the second page of this thread or the pictures of the 2015 Marussia/Manor car( http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20798 ).

The last posts here are about if it is possible to smooth the volume next to the tip with a panel that does not count as a part of the crash structure. But as scarbs pointed out this will probably not happen if it makes the airflow worse around the nose.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

OO7
OO7

f1316 wrote:Question: what, if anything, about the f14t's nose would be illegal for 2015?

If nothing/little, surely Ferrari at least are likely to stick with this concept rather than the long 'thumb'? After all, could they not have had a long thumb this year if they thought it was better?
I think the Ferrari nose may be too low and too wide.

OO7
OO7

Blanchimont wrote:The last posts here are about if it is possible to smooth the volume next to the tip with a panel that does not count as a part of the crash structure. But as scarbs pointed out this will probably not happen if it makes the airflow worse around the nose.
The new regulations are a little unfortunate in my opinion. While overall they will improve (not perfect) the aesthetics of the 2014 finger designs, they will most likely force very elegant solutions such as that of the Mercedes W05 into this less than impressive 'stub thumb' look. Perhaps taper limits may have been a better approach?

f1316
f1316

Blaze1 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:The last posts here are about if it is possible to smooth the volume next to the tip with a panel that does not count as a part of the crash structure. But as scarbs pointed out this will probably not happen if it makes the airflow worse around the nose.
The new regulations are a little unfortunate in my opinion. While overall they will improve (not perfect) the aesthetics of the 2014 finger designs, they will most likely force very elegant solutions such as that of the Mercedes W05 into this less than impressive 'stub thumb' look. Perhaps taper limits may have been a better approach?
Many thanks blanchimont. I had seen the pics you mention but wanted to clarify which part of the regulation forces them towards this solution.

Agreed with the above though. If - as seems likely- the fia are trying to ally aesthetics with the safety benefits of the low nose, it's curious that they don't seem to anticipate the eventual, less aesthetically pleasing solutions.

adrianjordan

IMHO they need to get Adrian Newey, Ross Brawn et al to write the regulations to fit what the FiA want the limits to be. And then they should each be asked to make sure there are no loop holes etc that one of the others has slipped in there!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

astracrazy
astracrazy

adrianjordan wrote:IMHO they need to get Adrian Newey, Ross Brawn et al to write the regulations to fit what the FiA want the limits to be. And then they should each be asked to make sure there are no loop holes etc that one of the others has slipped in there!!
They do already have these working groups. I'm pretty sure the individuals you have listed and more go to meetings to discuss rule changes which are being made. Ross brought up the loophole of the DDD and was ignored, Bob Bell brought up the solution to the new nose rules would mean we would get noses like we had in 2014 and he was ignored.

Maybe ignored isn't correct word, other maybe said no it will be fine so in a way was ignored.

These are just what I have seen, I guess when the public don't like something people are quick to come out and say actually I said this would happen. Where a lot of changes fall under the radar so we don't know if these working groups changed them or not

turbof1

astracrazy wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:IMHO they need to get Adrian Newey, Ross Brawn et al to write the regulations to fit what the FiA want the limits to be. And then they should each be asked to make sure there are no loop holes etc that one of the others has slipped in there!!
They do already have these working groups. I'm pretty sure the individuals you have listed and more go to meetings to discuss rule changes which are being made. Ross brought up the loophole of the DDD and was ignored, Bob Bell brought up the solution to the new nose rules would mean we would get noses like we had in 2014 and he was ignored.

Maybe ignored isn't correct word, other maybe said no it will be fine so in a way was ignored.

These are just what I have seen, I guess when the public don't like something people are quick to come out and say actually I said this would happen. Where a lot of changes fall under the radar so we don't know if these working groups changed them or not
The biggest issue is that Adrian Newey isn't neutral; infact the working groups are comprised of employees working for one or other team, and they all give priority to the team's interest. The end result are badly written rules.

Anyone with a bit of brain and some working understanding of f1's technicalities could write rules that are tight enough. If the problem really was incompetence, then someone like Blanchimont would have landed a job at it. But the problem is a decision making organ that is too tainted by self interest.
#AeroFrodo

astracrazy
astracrazy

Ultimately it would be much better if the FIA wrote the rules and didn't involve the teams at all. What they really should do is create the rules but look at people who have left the sport for advice or to consult with. For example, if they could get Ross Brawn or Patrick Head (who has led a few groups already) on board for a few weeks a year it would be much better because they have no team alliance.

I mean if they got Ross and Adrian (in a few years) to help write the rules, F1 would be in a much better place in that regard.

I never understand why the teams should be involved in the rule making.

Shrieker

Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

zioture
zioture

REGULATIONS AND FRONT WINGS

let’s take an opportunity to discuss a change to the regulations in order to introduce a theoretical discourse that is actually often unknown and underestimated. More than a mere thought of the upcoming season, I’ll use real examples to explain a very important effect for those who are interested in having an initiation into the world of aerodynamics. What I want to talk about are the so-called coupling effects: an example can result from aeronautics, or the field of which I deal with in my life the most. (later will report what is said in the case of Formula 1).
Read full http://www.newsf1.it/f1-news-2015-regul ... ont-wings/

Blackout

Nice renders based on the Fw-36 and the 2015 rules
http://getwrightonit.com/2015-williams- ... ic-livery/

Thunder

I could definitely live with that. Looks good.

Edit:
This looks very good too.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Rhodium

i like this nose, but i'm not in love with this black stripe on it...
it's really ugly, not ?

matr!x
matr!x

still horrible noses this year... #-o

JaqDRipper
JaqDRipper

https://www.facebook.com/F1PitWalls/pho ... =1&theater

This may be a leaked picture of the 2015 Ferrari. Hideous nose once again.