Suspension Project.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tom

Suspension Project.

Hi all.

I am doing a school project on f1 suspension.

Does anyone know of any high res, good detail pics of cars with the nose removed, showing clearly the suspension.

I would especially like one of the FW14b.

Also does anyone know how to convert the G forces under heavy braking into Newtons.
Can it be done?

Much obliged

Tom
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/RacingManiac

Pic from 2004 F1 pitlanes and Le Mans car, and some from Donnington Museum as well for older f1 cars....

manchild
manchild

Apex
Apex

ok ok firstly we need to make a few assumptions:
1. Your in school, as in high school? Which grade?

If you want to convert between forces and accelerations, you use the good ol F=ma

So, from a global point of view the total breaking force would be something like (5g's acceleration):
F=ma
=650*4*9.81
=31 882N

I heard that 1g acceleration is due to the aerodynamics but i cant really confirm this.

Now the tricky bit is to know how much comes from where, how much of the total is applied to the suspension (front and rear) and how much comes from aero (of the breaking force).

If you want to know the total load on the suspension you have to include the moment that the breaks exert as well as the downforce that the wings provide. Sum the total vector forces after making a few guesses here and there and you should be in the right area.

I have no idea how much downforce there would be, naturally depends on speed. Hope some other people will be able to provide you with the info.

If I had to guess about the front/rear break force split it would be about 50:50 - i suppose. The rear wing is larger than the front, also you dont want to lock the rears so this is the reasoning behind the guess...
Dont dream it, do it.

luisandregg
luisandregg

Extra rod linked to the rocker arm

In the 3rd page of RacingManiac's album ALMS Motorsport 2005 ( http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/RacingManiac ) we can see an "extra rod" linked to the rocker arm of the suspension (picture PICT0046.jpg).

What's that rod for? Are the dumpers allowed to work just in traction (not in compression)?

Tom

Hi Apex,

I'm in Lockerbie Academy Secondry School (High)
studying Technological Studies
in fifth year (Scottish)

Did my GCSEs last year.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

Re: Extra rod linked to the rocker arm

luisandregg wrote:In the 3rd page of RacingManiac's album ALMS Motorsport 2005 ( http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/RacingManiac ) we can see an "extra rod" linked to the rocker arm of the suspension (picture PICT0046.jpg).

What's that rod for? Are the dumpers allowed to work just in traction (not in compression)?
It is for steering, that is a track rod. BTW, it is not "linked to the rocker arm of the suspension" but it only appears that way from the angle the pic was taken.

Last edited by manchild on 01 Mar 2006, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

cheers luisandregg.

luisandregg
luisandregg

Cheers, Tom!
And thanks to manchild!

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

manchild wrote:
luisandregg wrote:In the 3rd page of RacingManiac's album ALMS Motorsport 2005 ( http://supercarfreak.net/gallery/RacingManiac ) we can see an "extra rod" linked to the rocker arm of the suspension (picture PICT0046.jpg).

It is for steering, that is a track rod. BTW, it is not "linked to the rocker arm of the suspension" but it only appears that way from the angle the pic was taken.

Donnington Museum was a very interesting place as you can follow these constructor by timeline. And you can see Aero takes a greater and greater role as detail like that tie-rod(trackrod) is moving from a more common trail steer(behind axle) and seperate plane from the a-arm to front steer, and shrud with the a-arm for aero.....and when they start using pushrod instead of pullrod...etc

zac510
zac510

There was a model car site with excellent FW14b detail shots. I can't find the link right now but if I do I'll post it up.

zac510
zac510

This was the site..

http://www.msmodels.co.uk/refphotos/fw14b.php

404 :(

Maybe somebody kept the photographs.

luisandregg
luisandregg

RacingManiac wrote: Donnington Museum was a very interesting place as you can follow these constructor by timeline. And you can see Aero takes a greater and greater role as detail like that tie-rod(trackrod) is moving from a more common trail steer(behind axle) and seperate plane from the a-arm to front steer, and shrud with the a-arm for aero.....and when they start using pushrod instead of pullrod...etc
Nice pics of the museum!

Is that rod inside the upper A-arm the rod that you are talking about?

manchild
manchild

luisandregg wrote:Is that rod inside the upper A-arm the rod that you are talking about?
Yes, that is the one but it is not inside the upper A-arm but parallel with it and in same aerodynamic cover.

manchild
manchild

Last edited by manchild on 02 Mar 2006, 12:05, edited 2 times in total.