2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

thedutchguy wrote:Just my 2 cents for this investigation: In the opening shots of the video (http://mirror.ninja/sc60) you can clearly see that the camera looks straight down the middle of the track where Bianci was supposed to be headed. From that, it's easy to estimited to within a few meters where the camera man was seated:

From that picture, I would guess that Bianchi was within the left hander, hitting standing water which probably caused the car to oversteer to the left. He then would have counter-steered to get the nose pointed back towards the right, at which point the tyres might have gripped again (perhaps momentarily), sending the car off in the direction the car was pointing at that point - basically to the right, down the asphalt part, which is where he then hit the tractor at a relative straightward angle?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jano11
Jano11

turbof1 wrote:The FOM is making author claims like crazy on those youtube videos. Even though it's amateur footage meaning they have no leg to stand on, youtube's policy unfortunaly is to block videos automatically upon such a claim.
If you read the disclaimers on F1 admission tickets there is a very murky definition about what one can do or not do with images and videos taken during F1 week ends.
YouTube always had this unfortunate policy of not bothering to check the legal backgrounds of those blocking requests, exactly due to such murky definitions like those on the F1 tickets. It would cost too much money, time and energy to argue with the other parties.

lillschumi
lillschumi

Bit OT but in my opinion, FOM attitude to social media is a problem and doesn´t help the sport grow. They have not understood the concept of social media and still lives in the universe where they think they can manage all media streams. Not productive.

They have millions of fans that can create buzz for their product but they kill it, so stupid.

Moose
Moose

turbof1 wrote:The FOM is making author claims like crazy on those youtube videos. Even though it's amateur footage meaning they have no leg to stand on, youtube's policy unfortunaly is to block videos automatically upon such a claim.
They actually do have a leg to stand on - if you read the small print on the back of any F1 ticket, you'll see that my using the ticket you sign over all copyright for all photos and videos taken at the track to the FIA.

prince
prince

I am sure the picture is already posted here. Although crash video shows the it was nasty and too fast. This picture gives a lot of hope. The helmet is intact and there are no obviously visible scratches on the visor, which is generally the most weak component (with regards to the entire structure) of the whole of helmet. Which means, he MIGHT not have been in contact with the tractor.

komninosm
komninosm

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2 ... 16454.html
Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton, P1
Nico Rosberg, P2
It was Rosberg who held the advantage after qualifying, but Hamilton was able to turn the tables in the race itself once both men had switched from full wet tyres to intermediates. Both men were on similar set-ups, but where Rosberg didn't like the oversteer his F1 W05 Hybrid displayed Hamilton said he was comfortable with it. After running wide in Turn 1 on the 27th lap because he had forgotten to deactivate his DRS, Hamilton pulled off a spectacular pass around the outside at the same spot two laps later, and thereafter easily controlled the race until it was stopped following Jules Bianchi's accident. It was Hamilton's 30th Grand Prix victory and his first at Suzuka. Rosberg conceded simply that on the day the better man won.
What do they mean " forgotten to deactivate his DRS " ?

Moose
Moose

prince wrote:I am sure the picture is already posted here. Although crash video shows the it was nasty and too fast. This picture gives a lot of hope. The helmet is intact and there are no obviously visible scratches on the visor, which is generally the most weak component (with regards to the entire structure) of the whole of helmet. Which means, he MIGHT not have been in contact with the tractor.
Watching the videos in slow mo, I'm pretty confident that the helmet never made contact. The nose scooped the tractor upwards just before his head otherwise would have hit.

Shrieker

I'm not proud to have made that gif but i think his helmet clearly makes contact and gets pressed downwards...

http://i.imgur.com/Y5ypvH3.gif

Unfortunately this turned out to be too low a quality but you can download and see frame by frame from the video on the previous page which i used to try calculate the impact speed.

I mean this one: http://mirror.ninja/sc60
prince wrote:http://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/ ... anchi2.jpg

I am sure the picture is already posted here. Although crash video shows the it was nasty and too fast. This picture gives a lot of hope. The helmet is intact and there are no obviously visible scratches on the visor, which is generally the most weak component (with regards to the entire structure) of the whole of helmet. Which means, he MIGHT not have been in contact with the tractor.
It's also worth noting in that image the visor hides the left front top side of the helmet so any possible damage is not visible.
Last edited by Shrieker on 07 Oct 2014, 16:16, edited 3 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

lebesset
lebesset

komninosm wrote:http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2 ... 16454.html
Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton, P1
Nico Rosberg, P2
It was Rosberg who held the advantage after qualifying, but Hamilton was able to turn the tables in the race itself once both men had switched from full wet tyres to intermediates. Both men were on similar set-ups, but where Rosberg didn't like the oversteer his F1 W05 Hybrid displayed Hamilton said he was comfortable with it. After running wide in Turn 1 on the 27th lap because he had forgotten to deactivate his DRS, Hamilton pulled off a spectacular pass around the outside at the same spot two laps later, and thereafter easily controlled the race until it was stopped following Jules Bianchi's accident. It was Hamilton's 30th Grand Prix victory and his first at Suzuka. Rosberg conceded simply that on the day the better man won.
he held down the button too long
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Moose
Moose

lebesset wrote:
Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton, P1
Nico Rosberg, P2
I thought DRS was meant to be auto-deactivated as soon as you lifted or pushed the brake.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Moose wrote:
They actually do have a leg to stand on - if you read the small print on the back of any F1 ticket, you'll see that my using the ticket you sign over all copyright for all photos and videos taken at the track to the FIA.
It's the up close and personal photos of this incident I have an issue with. It reminds me of the line in in The Green Mile when Hanks says to another guard that watching a man dying wasn't enough for Percy, he wanted to smell their nuts cook.

When Princess Diana died the public were horrified that the paparazzi were taking pictures of the dead and dying occupants of the car, 15 years later the same newspapers that were apoplectic with the French paparazzi are in a race to show the most detailed pictures of a man who had no guarantees that he'd survive the next few minutes and was in the operating theater when they started to host their pictures. There's an argument for freedom of the press/speech/expression but that right comes with a responsibility to use it wisely and doesn't Jules's right to privacy in his most vulnerable time trump all of ours?

If heaven forbid the situation was reversed, would you want your or a loved one's mortal moments documented so closely with a 20 megapixel camera and a telephoto lens?
Forza Jules

Shrieker

komninosm wrote:
Two ways to deactivate DRS flap: 1 - manually by hitting the DRS button, 2 - Pressing the brake pedal. Normally, they deactivate it manually by hitting the DRS button before starting to brake so when they press the brake pedal there is maximum downforce available. Maybe he forgot to deactivate it manually, and the flap simply closed when he hit the brakes, extending his braking distance. What i read from a quote though, was that because of the wet track he was closing the flap manually and did so when he went wide too, but was a bit too late for the conditions on that occasion.
Last edited by Shrieker on 07 Oct 2014, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Phil

Moose wrote:Watching the videos in slow mo, I'm pretty confident that the helmet never made contact. The nose scooped the tractor upwards just before his head otherwise would have hit.
I might be seeing it wrong, but I think Bianchi drove at a slight angle into the tractor. I think it's the left sidepod that made contact first and pushed the whole tractor upwards as he went through... My guess is that the helmet did make contact, but that there was some room of movement which caused minimal visible damage to it. I still think the impact must have been huge, especially at the speed he carried through...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

lebesset wrote:
Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton, P1
Nico Rosberg, P2
It's generally a toggle switch pressed on, and braking will automatically deactivate it. However in the wet, or in some dry corners, you deactivate it leasehold before braking to make sure the airflow is reattached and you have the down force for the corner.

Godius

Moose wrote:
Here's an interesting read about this issue:
I fought Formula 1 Management and I won

I am pleased to report that I have won my copyright dispute with Formula 1 Management (FOM) over the copyright and intellectual property rights to spectator videos made at the 2009 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix. All the wealth, power and arrogance of FOM has been beaten by one belligerent blogger who doesn’t even have a law degree. What does this say about Bernie Ecclestone’s corporate media managers? They’re clueless dinosaurs.

read more