Safety of car recovery (and trucks on circuits)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Safety of car recovery (and trucks on circuits)

CBeck113 wrote:I imagine that the pores on the racing line would fill up with rubber - great for traction on the line, but passing would be harder, and when it gets wet...bad.
This. Rubber and water are not good friends. I once asked here the reason Alonso make those significant external lines in the wet. Nobody replied, but I´ve finally realiced it is because of this, racing line with rubber is the worst line in wet conditions. With porous asphalt this would be much worse because the pores would be full of rubber so the rubber % would be much higher than it is currently, and equally prone to aquaplanning because it´s not porous anymore, so the asphalt would be even more slippery in wet conditions, exactly the opposite you´re trying to achieve

Also, F1 cars produce more bumps than any other category. They literally make wrinkles or creases on afphalt when braking. Since porous asphalt is... well, porous, it´s less compact, what means it will probably have a lot less internal resistance (don´t know the english term) so it will wrinkle much easier

Richard
Richard

I imagine the rubber would stay on the surface and perhaps be squeezed a few mm into the pores, but it wouldn't block the full depth of the wearing course?

Also wouldn't a continuous rubber layer on porous asphalt be the same as a continuous rubber layer on solid asphalt? Both result in a continuous impermeable layer leading to aquaplaning. I can't see how it could be worse.

So while the racing line might have a rubber layer, the surface off the racing line (inc run offs) would stay porous. So there would be a lot less standing water and no streams across the racing line.

autogyro
autogyro

I am interested in learning the procedures undertaken by the team when being made aware of the yellow flag situation.
This car was obviously travelling far to fast for the track conditions.
Did the team radio information on the situation to the driver?
Did the team have sufficient information early enough to react?
Surely , every time a recovery vehicle enters the race circuit the drivers are informed?

Phil

Piraxian wrote:Could something like the following possibly work? I'm not a massive fan of safety cars for the record, but thats because they always seem to be out for 2-3 laps longer then required so all cars can un lap themselves. I'm trying to come up with a way to avoid that so a safety car could be out for a minimum of 2 laps if the issue can be resolved quickly and this is about the best i've got so far.
The way I see it is that once there's an accident, you have a much higher risk factor on the track. Take Sutils accident; At the point he crashed, you had a car in the barriers in the run off area of a high speed corner. Imagine if just a few cars later, someone else crashes at the exact same spot and hits that car in the barriers. Hitting a car wreckage at those speeds will be a lot more dangerous than hitting a barrier that is designed to absorb energy in case of an impact.

So, when you have a crash, like Sutils crash, and end up with a dangerous zone, I guess it currently boils down to three choices;

1.)
You either deploy the safety car which will send out a delta time to each and every driver on the track that they will have to follow until the pack line up behind the safety car. This process takes several laps, bunches up the grid, possibly altering the outcome of the race order and in the time it is required to unlap the lapped cars to restore the correct order.

2.)
Add double-waved yellows and clear the accident zone without the deployment of a safety car.

3.)
red-flag the race.

Which one of those 3 options are chosen, I guess, depends on the situation and how race control judges the severity of the accident and its impact. Depending on where the accident took place, I would think that it also depends highly on the duration on how long and how easy (and how safe) it is to clear the accident zone. Every added second that car/wreckage is in the barriers is at an increased risk to any one passing that zone.

In regards to the Bianchi accident; Option 2 was chosen and as soon as Sutil was out of the car, the safety crew started with the clearing of the accident zone. Bianchi was just ahead of Sutil when he crashed and we know that Bianchi crashed in the exact same spot exactly a lap later. From the time deltas everyone was driving and from the video footage we've seen, we can deduct that it took the crew/tractor roughly 2 minutes to reach Sutils car, lift it from the barriers and was on its way off the track when Bianchi crashed into it. I'd say that in roughly 2:30 minutes, the accident zone would have been completely cleared and the yellow-zone would have been lifted completely.

IMO, that is some excellent work with minimal impact on the race. If they had deployed a safety car at that point, I'm fairly confident we would have had various voices conclude that the safety car is overkill and we would have easily lost 3-5 laps. Now, I'm not arguing that safety should be traded for less impact on the race; of course not. Safety comes first. I'm more raising the point what a safety car would have caused and/or avoided in this specific moment. I also wonder, if a safety car had changed the outcome. It most likely would have, because every car would have ended up at a slightly different point on the track, hence, even if Bianchi had still crashed, he most likely would have hit an empty barrier instead. But would the enforced delta time ("safety car on track") have avoided cars going off? From what I understand; standing water and insufficient worn intermediate tyres were just as much cause for Bianchi going off in that corner rather than pure speed alone.

It's an extremely unfortunate incident - a chain reaction if you like. One can argue that perhaps, the exact location of Sutils accident warranted a safety-car - but in doing so, it would have taken longer to clear the accident zone (assuming the crew would have waited until the race is "neutralized" -> all following the safety car) and I wonder if the enforced delta time everyone would be driving would have been sufficiently slow to avoid aquaplaning in the high speed corner of Sutils crash. I'm not sure.

One way or another; Double yellow flags should and must be enforced properly. It clearly states that drivers must lift and be prepared to stop - that to me means that in the zone, they must be prepared to brake at all times and able to stop within the distance that they see. That also implies that with worn tyres or standing water on the track, an even slower track must be chosen. For all they know, there could be debris or other dangerous objects on the road. You just can't rely on race-control to know in every split second what is going on on the track. The crew along the track are the best judge and when they start waving yellows or even double yellows, it signalizes a danger zone ahead, which should be taken seriously.

I'll say it again; Motorsport is dangerous. We have artificial tyres that exploit increased wear to spice up 'the show'. This in itself is a security concern if you look at it. Or that cars are effectively trading off driving around the track under heavy rain on worn intermediates instead of pitting for adequate tyres and falling back ~25seconds. We shouldn't stop at making the sport a safer place, but regardless how far you go; you will never change the fact that driving cars at the absolute limit is dangerous. If you take any of the accidents within the last 10 years where drivers have by miracle walked away with as little as a scratch, the only conclusion would be to stop racing alltogether and/or introduce a series where drivers sit in a simulator and remote control their cars from a safe location. In a sense, we've been very lucky that we haven't had *more serious accidents in F1 for the last 20 years - but at the same time, should not ignore what has been done to make this as "safe" as it is.

*EDIT; rephrased the sentance to reflect the situation more accurately.
Last edited by Phil on 08 Oct 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Richard
Richard

Phil wrote:In a sense, we've been very lucky that we haven't had many serious accidents with real consequences in F1 for the last 20 years.
Are marshal deaths not a real consequences?

Phil

Indeed they are. My bad. I was focusing on drivers. I actually thought I had covered it with the F1, because other series have had fatalities for sure. I ment no disrespect to marshals having lost their life. In fact, it only re-inforces the point that Motorsport is dangerous and to not have had more injuries is a bit of a miracle. I still can't believe that Heidfeld walked away from his accident in Formula E, or Webber when he flipped. Or the other accident where Maldonado caused a car to flip over another, narrowly missing the drivers head (I don't recall which race that was, nor which other drivers were involved). I'll correct it from my post (the overal point stays the same though).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

Richard wrote:I imagine the rubber would stay on the surface and perhaps be squeezed a few mm into the pores, but it wouldn't block the full depth of the wearing course?

Also wouldn't a continuous rubber layer on porous asphalt be the same as a continuous rubber layer on solid asphalt? Both result in a continuous impermeable layer leading to aquaplaning. I can't see how it could be worse.
With time pores would be full of rubber, as it´s not a superficial layer of rubber as usual but it would be deep into the asphalt (pores), so contrary to flat asphalt that clean itself when raining or other categories race there, with porous asphalt I think rubber will remain there much longer, making more slippery asphalt when raining. Just my thoughts obviously

And if you have porous asphalt at some parts (outside the racing line) with no aquaplanning problems and slippery asphalt at some others, then you have an unpredictable surface, wich would be much more dangerous IMO

IMO that togheter with the bumps problem (lower cohesion) may be the reason they don´t use porous asphalt on tracks, they´re not that stupid, there must be some reason and these are the only ones I can think about

Richard
Richard

The ripples under braking or lateral loads are resisted by the shear strength of the asphalt. This is the same mechanism as formation of ruts on highways with heavy lorries constantly following the same wheel track.

Porous asphalt is used for highway loads with heavy good vehicles. So if it can resist the shear forces of a lot of traffic all year without rutting, I'm sure it could withstand a few lightweight race cars a few times a year.

I suspect the reason porous asphalt is not used is because the asphalt for race tracks tends to be very smooth to maximise the contact area between tyre and road. This maximises the electrostatic force that provides traction for slick tyres. In contrast a rough surface reduces the contact area. So a porous asphalt might be the road equivalent of tyres with treads?

Once the track has rubbered during FP, the cars are driving on a rubber surface on the racing line so would that cover the asphalt? Ciro has a nice quote on this:
dry-weather tires in Formula One racing ... exude resins and actually even out irregularities in the asphalt, thus considerably improving the area of contact... Racing tires are literally sucked dry.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 06#p217306
Anyway to get back on topic - porous asphalt on the run off areas would be better draining with any problems with rubber or changing the race surface.

Ciro Pabón

Andres, I'm afraid, no, that's not the reason.

Many roads in this world have porous asphalt without resulting in "clogging" or creating slippery surfaces. It's actually the most common modern method for highway surfacing.

On the other hand there are tests (Marshall being the oldest) to prove that asphalt has enough strength.

Marshall test machine: I've done literally thousands of tests during my life. You don't do it for design, you do it for accepting the asphalt mixture at the work site

There are rational methods (Shell being the most popular) for designing asphalt surfaces.

Flexible pavement design is based on the principle of magnitude of stress induced by a wheel load decreasing with depth below the surface

The stress on pavement depends on the fourth power of the load. Allow me to repeat it, this time slowly: the... fourth... power...

That is, a truck axle that weighs around 15 times the ones in your car (not to mention an F1 car) doesn't create 15 times the stress. It doesn't create 225 times the stress (that is 15 squared). It doesn't create 3.000 times the stress (15 cubed).

It creates around 50.000 times the stress of a regular car.

Just one heavy truck is equivalent to 50.000 cars. So, don't say that F1 cars, with puny axles that, including downforce can create 1.500 kilos tops, are the most stressing thing on a track.

Just one of those cranes create more damage to the track that all the F1 cars that have raced in Suzuka.

When you calculate the stresses (the ones that creates bumps) on a pavement, you convert the different types of cars to an standard (a truck with an axle loaded with 8.2 Tons).

The stress factor for cars, for all practical purposes, is ZERO.

Cars don't make even tickles to an asphalt surface.

Load Equivalency Factors. Note that a very heavy car (a car weighing 2 Tons) the factor is 0.0003

I won't say it's ludicrous to state that an F1 car is the one that creates most stresses in a pavement.

I'm just going to say it's ludicrous. :wink:

You are going to say that's because of braking. Please, don't.

Bumps in a track come from soil movements when wet.

Perhaps the correct phrase is not Rock and Roll but Soil and Roll

The main factor why we have such insecure tracks has a name: Bernard Ecclestone.

It's not Senator Ecclestone, it's Emperor Ecclestone

He's the one that refuses to trickle down money from TV into tracks.

Tracks HAVE TO PAY for F1 races.

Hence, the most underfunded venues in car racing are F1 ones.

Thus, no resurfacing for you!! Asphalt nazis.

There is hope, Obi Wan...

The best vehicles turning around Indianapolis, from my point of view, may not be the fastest: Indy resurfacing with porous asphalt. Of 33 NASCAR courses, 31 use porous asphalt
Ciro

Richard
Richard

Ciro Pabón wrote:He's the one that refuses to trickle down money from TV into tracks. Tracks HAVE TO PAY for F1 races. Hence, the most underfunded venues in car racing are F1 ones. Hence, no resurfacing for you!! Asphalt nazis.
I see your point about repaving existing tarmac, but that excuse doesn't work for new tracks and run off areas?

I must admit I suspect the real reason why porous asphalt hasn't been used is because of inertia. I suspect Tilke has used the same basic asphalt design on all his tracks. Although COTA released this bit of PR:
[quote="COTA]Dr. Hart is the managing director of Hart Consult International. Dr. Hart was involved in the construction of several test tracks and most of the F1 racetracks built since 1996. ...

“We don’t have any general racetrack mix design,” Dr. Hart explained. “A mix design has to be created for each track individually regarding climates, local standards, availability of suitable aggregates and bitumen. The quality of the aggregates is better compared to usual roads regarding resistance against polishing. [/quote]

I suspect they use the same performance criteria for all tracks. The specific design bit will refer to ground conditions and local aggregate supplies.

Unfortunately telling Bernie to follow NASCAR's example will be like recommending a priest tries a restaurant because the local prostitutes say the food is great? ... err ... Bernie's a priest? ... feel free to flip that metephor according to your prejudice

Ciro Pabón

Well, it may be, Richard. However, ALL asphalts are created according to ground condition and local aggregate supplies. There is no exporting or importing of asphalt. Road engineers, like painters, are the last of a kind: they create their own raw materials (like painters that fabricate their own oils). So, that's not an excuse. I believe that Suzuka has severe financial problems (as most F1 tracks). That's the elephant on the corner of the room nobody talks about.

I might be a little prejudiced, but I strongly believe that the ultimate issue in safety is the track, not the regulations. We have PLENTY of regulations and little money for tracks. That's why F1 tickets are so expensive, BTW
Ciro

Richard
Richard

Ciro Pabón wrote:ALL asphalts are created according to ground condition and local aggregate supplies. There is no exporting or importing of asphalt. Road engineers, like painters, are the last of a kind: they create their own raw materials (like painters that fabricate their own oils).
Indeed (I've done it myself, but I guess we have to say these things out loud for the uninitiated) hence the need to use performance criteria and testing regime as the starting point and design the build ups and mixes. The contractor says they can save money by cutting a few corners, and public sector people squirm and say yes knowing they'll have moved on long before the road fails in 10 years time. If you're in F1 you have to do what Tilke says or you'll have no race. So everyone says "yes boss" and don't ask questions that would change the status quo.

Using porous asphalt would require people to rethink the performance criteria and testing regime. Never underestimate the resistance of humans to things that are different simply because they look different.

ps -I think Andres' "bumps' is referring to rutting on HGV wheel tracks, or ripples seen on the outside of bends where the wearing course is too soft, or corrugations at stop lines:

FW17

Is NASCAR using the same porous pavement that we discussed in the Road Surface thread sometime back?

Surprised that a banked track would have porous asphalt considering the majority of work is with the sub bases.

Andres125sx

Richard wrote:ps -I think Andres' "bumps' is referring to rutting on HGV wheel tracks, or ripples seen on the outside of bends where the wearing course is too soft, or corrugations at stop lines:

http://theassetmax.com/wp-content/uploa ... ving-1.jpg
Exactly, thanks for the help :D

Andres125sx

Ciro Pabón wrote:Andres, I'm afraid, no, that's not the reason.

Many roads in this world have porous asphalt without resulting in "clogging" or creating slippery surfaces. It's actually the most common modern method for highway surfacing.
Obviously, and as I´ve previously said, that´s day and night compared with old asphalt. But highways are not racing tracks, production cars do not leave rubber on the asphalt, and usual people do not apply full brakes before each corner, and even if they do, they´re not driving racing cars with racing tires
Ciro Pabón wrote: You are going to say that's because of braking. Please, don't.

Bumps in a track come from soil movements when wet.
Sorry but I will, it´s because of braking :mrgreen:

As an MX driver I assure you braking and accelerating zones are, by far, those that suffer more bumps, ripples or corrugations. They start as corrugations, then they increase lap by lap, and finally are huge bumps, so there must be more reasons for bumps than just vehicle weight :wink:

Those nice graphs you linked analyse a different subject. I´ve never said it´s the weight or downforce of the cars, it´s the braking power, so the soil under the asphalt is irrelevant, as it it the base and subbase. Those will cause more or less bumps, agree, but I´m talking about a different problem. The last layer of asphalt, the pavement, suffer from strong brakings. My english is not good enough to explain it, but I´m sure if you think about it you´ll get what I´m trying to say

Porous asphalt inevitably have a lower cohesion than traditional one. If it´s porous there´s air in between the last layer of the pavement, so the aggregates of the asphalt have much less surface holding them togheter. And asphalt is not concrete, it´s not that rigid but have some elasticity
Ciro Pabón wrote:The best vehicles turning around Indianapolis, from my point of view, may not be the fastest: Indy resurfacing with porous asphalt. Of 33 NASCAR courses, 31 use porous asphalt
http://www.macallister.com/mac4/lib/pho ... roller.jpg
This more or less confirm my theory, the only tracks resurfacing with porous asphalt are ovals with no braking points

Maybe this is not the reason, but there must be some, track owners are not stupid and if no track is resurfacing with porous asphalt except ovals, I don´t think you can say it´s just because of Emperor Ecclestone