Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Ferrari 666 Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

wuzak wrote:
Xwang wrote:IMHO, it is difficult to create an uglier nose than F14T one.
Ask Lotus and Caterham. They had the F14T beat for ugliness!
None of them could hold a candle to the STR nose.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

JaqDRipper
JaqDRipper

Found this:

http://mwlsport.altervista.org/sitoWP/f ... 15-eccola/

It is fast approaching the date of January when the Ferrari will present , on the web , the project 666 ( the car for 2015 , which for convenience we will continue to call F15 , waiting for the official name ) . Although not yet know the technical specifications of the car of Vettel and Raikkonen , we collected enough rumors to outline a fairly reliable description of how will be the next Ferrari .

The F15 will not be revolutionary 100% , as he wanted Marchionne , for reasons of time . Improvements are still many and scattered around the car ( the F14 T , in fact , had no real strengths , so there was no need to work on the entire machine ).

First, it was done a great job on the power unit : it has been completely changed the layout of the components , to make it less complicated the whole engine . However it is still early to know what changes have actually been made ​​. We know for sure that the exhaust manifolds were shortened , for aerodynamic reasons , while was greatly improved the efficiency of the heat engine is that the electrical system, also through the installation of a turbine of larger size. Recall that , however , this year it may work on PU also in the current season .

As for the suspension, it is preferred to keep the system pull rod , so dear to Alonso , but that has created many problems for Raikkonen . The pull rod still offers aerodynamic advantage , partly because the suspension will be completely renovated.

From the point of view of the body , the sides will be larger , to make room for larger turbocharger and try to optimize the flow at best.

Regarding the nose , it should be a cross to those used year by Mercedes and Red Bull .

Below you will find a reconstruction of the F15 , built by following the rumors that you have shown. The presentation of the car should still take place by January .

f1316
f1316

Well, at least the car looks quite nice there!

But seriously, the article is a bit contradictory for me. Yes, I get that they've not been able to make a complete clean break from the old car, but if they've made 'great' progress with the engine + other improvements in various places on the car, I'm surprised that it can only expect 'small points'.

The chassis on the f14t was not abysmal, so great improvements to the engine alone should surely yield more than that, no?

Perhaps they're saying they don't *expect* a podium, which sounds reasonable, but I think there's a little bit of expectations management going on too.

F1NAC

this is old pic. And i think that on the first look, front nose is illegal

bdr529

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Ferrari sticking with pullrod suspension in 2015
According to Italy's Autosprint. Ferrari is sticking with its unique 'pullrod' front suspension layout for a fourth consecutive season,
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns29722.html

windwaves
windwaves

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team 2015

so who expects to see the new (well, so I hope it is, at least in some parts!) F666 with pull-rod (continuity) and who expects it with push-rod (new!, good ! discontinuity with the disastrous past!) ?

windwaves
windwaves

f1316 wrote:Well, at least the car looks quite nice there!

But seriously, the article is a bit contradictory for me. Yes, I get that they've not been able to make a complete clean break from the old car, but if they've made 'great' progress with the engine + other improvements in various places on the car, I'm surprised that it can only expect 'small points'.

The chassis on the f14t was not abysmal, so great improvements to the engine alone should surely yield more than that, no?

Perhaps they're saying they don't *expect* a podium, which sounds reasonable, but I think there's a little bit of expectations management going on too.
I hope so !!! I can't wait to see the first pix.

The F14T not only was a pos but also virtually unwatchable for me, as ugly as it gets. I know, it would not matter a bit if it performed ..

Xwang
Xwang

How should we consider the possibility of a pull-rod with more horizontal arms and more angled pull rod (combined with a lower chassis similar to mercedes one)? Continuity or discontinuity?
Why is this pull-rod so adversed? Is it a bad implementation or it is a completely wrong concept? After all it was the standard front suspension system in 80s and 90s F1 cars till the advent of high noses (if I remember correctly).

windwaves
windwaves

yes, I thought I had read sth along those lines somewhere as well. However I don't exclude that they could be wrong. Especially considering Marchionne strong intervention after seeing what had been done so far for 2015. I suspect and hope that things could still change.

windwaves
windwaves

I do would not know my friend, but we are talking about 2015 cars as opposed to the last few years, not the 80s or 90s.

In the current and last few seasons all teams except Ferrari have push-rod susp. What I also know is that Ferrari has not been doing very well recently...

F1NAC

yes, but wasn't there a rumour that they abandoned tombazises chasis and redefined front part especially? and that there is a little to know about front layout. So this pullrod could be on Tomba's chassis but not on Allisons?

jonaliew
jonaliew

We will know truly at the end of this month whether Ferrari 666 will be pull or push rod.

But early reports suggests Ferrari is sticking to the pull rod.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... 015-report
Vettel and Raikonnen will be working with the pullrod suspension in 2015

Ferrari is sticking with its unique 'pullrod' front suspension layout for a fourth consecutive season, according to Italy's Autosprint.

The Maranello team has persevered with the approach since 2012, despite the fact pullrod suspension had not previously been seen at the front of a F1 car since Minardi in 2001.

It was reported throughout 2014 that Ferrari's pullrod suspension might explain Kimi Raikkonen's notable deficit compared to Fernando Alonso last year.

The Finn shone with the responsive and easy-to-tweak front of the 2013 Lotus, but he identified the front handling of his Ferrari last year as a key complaint.

A pullrod layout can mean a lower nose, suspension and centre of gravity, but it is also known to be difficult to tune and less responsive to setup changes.

No new suspension for project 666

Alonso, who also raced the pullrod-based Minardi in 2001, has now switched to McLaren but Autosprint reports that Ferrari is not therefore reverting to the more conventional pushrod system for the 2015 car, codenamed '666'.

Correspondent Roberto Chinchero said: "Raikkonen has complained constantly about a lack of precision at the front, which is a characteristic of the pullrod suspension.

"And the Finn's style is not so different to that of Sebastian Vettel, who also thrived with a precise and responsive front end," he added.

But Raikkonen said recently he is not expecting to struggle this year like he did in 2014, even though most teams are simply evolving their cars for the second season of the all-new rules.

"Next year is different," he insisted, "the car is different, so I don't expect to have a similar season and we should be where we should be."

diffuser

I think most of the changes will be behind the driver. I believe from the front wing to start of the side pods will be almost identical(minor changes atmost).

The PU will be further forward and lighter. The wheelbase shorter, new rear brakes(smaller and lighter) . The rear suspension will include the changes they where testing last year.

f1316
f1316

diffuser wrote:I think most of the changes will be behind the driver. I believe from the front wing to start of the side pods will be almost identical(minor changes atmost).

The PU will be further forward and lighter. The wheelbase shorter, new rear brakes(smaller and lighter) . The rear suspension will include the changes they where testing last year.
I would guess (and that's all it is) that ferrari's priority is more power and that will come at the expense of weight and some of the clever (but ultimately misjudged) packaging they went for.

I would imagine they'll be saving weight by going to air-air cooling but that will mean larger side pods.

But I could be completely wrong.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Gazzeta

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."