VW Enters.................

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: VW Enters.................

SectorOne wrote:
Juzh wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Its already lifted, only that they can introduce them next year
Which is wrong.
Only because one simply did a better job then everyone else. Had they been completely equal on performance everything would be quiet, Mattiacci would be praising the rules saying they work brilliantly.

And so would you.
Yes.

GitanesBlondes

You guys don't find it suspicious that the Audi rumor came out right before it was announced Marussia is missing the United States Grand Prix?

The Audi rumor was put out there more than likely by someone in FIA/FOM to deflect how big a joke F1 has turned into.

Two teams missing a grand prix doesn't sound as bad if a major auto manufacturer is rumored to be jumping from WEC to F1.

But as I already stated, it was never going to happen, and the Audi tweet Wesley posted above confirms what I said. Audi does not need, or care about F1. Ferdinand Piech is a smart man, and has brought motorsport success to Audi and Porsche without ever getting involved in F1. That should tell you how little the F1 brand really means in terms of prestige these days.

Gentlemen, try and keep in mind, any manufacturer who has to start from scratch --Honda likely piggybacked off the PURE research so it wasn't a true scratch effort-- will never get involved with F1 again. The fans would do well to understand that the technical regulations, along with the administration of F1 as nothing more than an investment for Ecclestone ensures any well run motor company will not go near this sh*t show with a 10 foot pole. Mercedes is the exception, but they are not a well run company as they do not even follow their own integrity policy manual.

3 car teams are the only way Bernie can meet the contractual number of cars he is required to field at any grand prix weekend, that's why he wants 3 car teams. It's not for any altruistic reasons, it's to prevent himself from being in breach of contract. The real reason he did not want the V6 hybrid engines was primarily because he knew it was going to jeopardize his ability to ensure there were enough cars at each race since the engine costs are slowly bankrupting the bottom half of the grid. Remember too, limited engines per season were supposed to drive costs down! See how well that worked out?
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

seinfeld
seinfeld

so everyone saying Audi and Porsche can't play in the same sandpit. are wrong. they have been doing so in GT3 for a while now without issue.

I do like the rumor. I also see Bernie trying to get them lined up because Ferrari and Renault may infact pull out of F1 ASAP if Toto Wolff wont allow the unfreeze. there is no point Ferrari and Renault being under powered and unable to compete. its essentially throwing money down the drain! So there is a big possibility audi or a big manufacturer returns or throws their ha in the ring. and now there is a bigger emphasis on Hybrid power I Think it does attract ppl a little more. We can only wait and see. it also validates Alonso's statement that he wont be in a mercedes powered car next year.
also Barrichello having ended his TV contract. We could be seeing a Alonso/Button/Barrichello 3 car audi or whatever team joins pairing!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Actually, Audi WAS serious about entering a couple of years ago, remember? Surely we haven't forgotten the 'situation' where there was a change of engine concept (intended a inline 4 cylinder Turbo) so Audi/VW could enter?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7510 ... irrelevant
While the environmental argument for the engine change sounded entirely plausible, Red Bull’s Chief Technical Officer and design maestro, Adrian Newey, has told ESPN that the decision was being driven by a desire to attract Audi back into F1.

According to Newey, Audi had made a commitment to join the F1 circus if the move to the four-cylinder engines went ahead.

But then they changed their minds.

In May this year (2011), leading up to the 2011 Le Mans 24-hour race, Audi’s motorsport boss, Wolfgang Ullrich, dismissed F1 as irrelevant.

"There's a very good reason why we are not in F1. There's no relevance to the road," Ullrich told Car magazine.
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... ormula-one

FIA wants Porsche, Audi and Toyota to join Formula One

FIA president Jean Todt will try to persuade Audi, Porsche and Toyota—the three manufacturers whose LMP1 sports-car prototype programs are essential for the FIA World Endurance Championship—to enter Formula One. He revealed his intentions in Monza ahead of this weekend's F1 Italian Grand Prix, and added that he would also pursue an objective to cut costs by a third in F1 before 2016.

“From 2014, with the new regulations and the turbo engine, we will take a step towards the world we predict we will be living in.

“And maybe I will be able to convince several engine manufacturers that are now in endurance racing or elsewhere into building engines for Formula One, too: Audi, Toyota, Porsche, the Koreans . . . ”

At the beginning of the 1990s, acting on the wishes of F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone, FIA president Jean-Marie Balestre and Manufacturers Commission chairman Max Mosley suddenly made F1 engines mandatory in sports-car racing. At that time, Lotus and Ferrari were the only manufacturers engaged in F1, while the former Group C “fuel formula” sports-car series was contested by Aston Martin, Jaguar, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Peugeot, Porsche and Toyota.

Within a few years, Jaguar, Mercedes, Peugeot and Toyota all departed sports-car racing in favor of F1
And lest not forget; Porsche HAS been participating in F1 before, they even have powered Mclaren.

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/por.htm
Porsche began their road to Formula 1 in 1959 when they produced a flat 4-cylinder Formula 2 car that was derived from their RSK sports car. The car was driven to victory by Jo Bonnier and Stirling Moss.

In 1962 Porsche developed an 8-cylinder engine for Formula 1. Following Porsche practice the engine was air-cooled and had twin overhead camshafts, four Webber carburetors, and two valves per cylinder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_MP4/3

TAG-Porsche TTE PO1, 1,496 cc (91.3 cu in), 90° V6, turbo (4.0 Bar limited), mid-engine, longitudinally mounted

The Porsche-TAG engine featured an updated Motronic 1.7 engine management system, and now produced 960 bhp (720 kW) in race trim and 1,060 bhp (790 kW) in qualifying. These horsepower figures put it closest to Porsche's all-time most powerful racing engine, the 5.4 litre 12-cylinder in the 917/30 which produced over 1,500 horsepower (1,100 kW) in qualifying.

Even today the MP4/3 is still considered to be one of the most powerful F1 cars ever made, since turbo boost pressure would be further reduced to 2.5 bar in 1988, reducing the power output of the turbo engines to around 650 bhp (480 kW) in a bid to make the naturally aspirated cars more competitive.

The MP4/3 was the last McLaren Grand Prix car to use the TAG-Porsche engine.

TAG sponsored Formula One team Williams during the early 1980s, including when team drivers Alan Jones and Keke Rosberg won the 1980 and 1982 World Championships respectively. During the 1983 season, Mansour Ojjeh had a meeting with McLaren team boss Ron Dennis, who offered Ojjeh the chance of not just a sponsorship deal like with Williams, but having a part ownership of McLaren. Ojjeh agreed and the McLaren relationship continues to this day, with the TAG Group holding a stake in the McLaren Group.

While still a sponsor of Williams, Ojjeh financed the development of a turbocharged Porsche V6 engine for use by McLaren. The engines would be badged as TAG as Ojjeh owned the naming rights, though the engines also displayed the words "Made by Porsche".

The final year of the TAG-Porsche engines in Formula One was 1987. In a disappointing year Prost was unable to defend his title and finished 4th in the championship with 3 wins. The final win for the TAG engine was at the Portuguese Grand Prix where Prost recorded his 28th career win, breaking the record of 27 held by Jackie Stewart since 1973. Overall the TAG engines powered McLaren to 25 Grand Prix wins, 7 pole positions, 18 fastest laps and 54 podium finishes in 68 races contested.
VW/AG or Porsche/AG or the VAG group if you will, has been part of F1 before, and imho, WILL be part of them again, and i'd say in the foreseeable future. Audi stating a reaction to rumours doesn't mean they have zero intention, it's a statement for this moment, it doesn't mean 2016, 2017 or 2018 is out of the picture.

more:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112865
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/raci ... sche-to-f1

And yes, Audi rumours go back as far as 2007.
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/ ... 2944.shtml

But that doesn't mean at certain point they aren't going to enter F1.

The statement "there is no road relevance" is utter BS. Le Mans has ZERO road relevance, too. What do LMP1 cars have in common with road cars? Let's compare a Audi A3, A6 or Q7 to (JOEST) Audi's Le Mans competitor? NOTHING.

Name a single thing that they have gained for road cars in YEARS of participating in Le Mans. ONLY exposure. That's it. There is not a single part or single technology Audi gained from Le Mans activities that has been put in a road car.

So there is literally zero reason why they wouldn't participate in F1 when the same goes there. If any, F1 would host more relevance because of the Hybrid era.

The only difference I can see is that in LeMAns you can run DIESEL engines (TDI), and that's where Audi might be able to connect the dots, but it's only a story. The Le Mans car has a TDI engine, and the road cars have a TDI engine, but in between those engines, there is ZERO comparison.

I'd say Audi could make great use for promoting E-tron products with the F1 Hybrid technology. Surely it won't be diesel-powerd, but Audi runs TFSI engines, too.

I can see an Audi RSF1 E-TRON happening. or a Sauber F1 Audi E-TRON.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

F1NAC

from audi twitter

#Audi Sport is committed to the @FIAWEC , @DTM and GT racing. In 2015 we will add the Audi Sport TT Cup to our program #welcomechallenges

SidSidney
SidSidney

https://twitter.com/Audi__Sport/status/ ... 8727565312 Marketing are always the last people to find out.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

adrianjordan

Could they enter under a different VW brand? I for one would love to see Lamborghini do well in F1..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ScottB
ScottB

F1NAC wrote:from audi twitter

#Audi Sport is committed to the @FIAWEC , @DTM and GT racing. In 2015 we will add the Audi Sport TT Cup to our program #welcomechallenges
Probably would find out before Auto Express though...

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

adrianjordan wrote:Could they enter under a different VW brand? I for one would love to see Lamborghini do well in F1..!!
Rolls-Royce F1 Team :P

GitanesBlondes

SidSidney wrote:https://twitter.com/Audi__Sport/status/ ... 8727565312
Marketing are always the last people to find out.
Keep dreaming, Dr. Piech will never allow any marque in the VW Group to get involved in F1 again.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Manoah2u wrote:The statement "there is no road relevance" is utter BS. Le Mans has ZERO road relevance, too. What do LMP1 cars have in common with road cars? Let's compare a Audi A3, A6 or Q7 to (JOEST) Audi's Le Mans competitor? NOTHING.

Name a single thing that they have gained for road cars in YEARS of participating in Le Mans. ONLY exposure. That's it. There is not a single part or single technology Audi gained from Le Mans activities that has been put in a road car.
Pretty sure this isn't true. FSI and TFSI they adapted from their race versions into road cars. Also other various things like LED and Laser headlights. I wouldn't doubt other subtle engine improvements also made their way into production versions from the LMP program.

Richard
Richard

Note that road relevance about brand not actual nuts and bolts. LMP played the perfect trump card by allowing diesel engines. In the blink of an eye the image of diesel engines flipped from smokey vans to sexy race cars. You can't get more road relevant imagery than that.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Richard wrote:Note that road relevance about brand not actual nuts and bolts. LMP played the perfect trump card by allowing diesel engines. In the blink of an eye the image of diesel engines flipped from smokey vans to sexy race cars. You can't get more road relevant imagery than that.
I agree diesel power is an interesting aspect for racing, which definately has helped, but i have trouble believing there is direct relevance from Audi's race TDI engines to their road versions. It's like the mercedes v6T engines, or renault's V6T engines having relevance to the road. Street engines and race engines are nothing alike.

Audi for example has a whole bunch of research devision on road engines. they do the work on the road engines, they aren't commited to the LMP program whatsoever and vise versa.
acosmichippo wrote:
Also other various things like LED and Laser headlights..
hell no. These led and laser headlights have been mounted on these le mans cars, but the le mans cars were not the reason we have road cars with led/laser tech.

first of all, Led technology excists on cars as far back as late 80's early 90's, starting with brake lighting. Light companies ever since have been doing research on bringing this technology to a 'higher level'.

Furthermore, Lexus LS600 was the first car introduced to run Led headlights. I'm not talking about daytime running lights, these 'fast-and-furious' gimmicks have nothing to do with real lighting technology and even less with Le Mans.

Lexus has not been running le mans prototypes carrying Led technology, and the supplier of Lexus led headlamp technology isn't the same as audi's.

Furthermore, BMW is the first brand to run Laser technology on road cars, before audi has installed them on a road car. BMW has no Laser lights tested in Le Mans, Yet they intrduced them as early as the 2011 i8 concept and on the final production version. Now suddenly this year Audi runs Laser lights in Le mans, yet - Laser lights are already available on cars, so they are not new.

Road relevance? not even slightly. the Le Mans audi team decided they would benefit from the improved lights that led and laser technology grants - it's not like they decided let's plant led or laser lights as a technology platform for road cars.

a statement from Audi themselves
Audi has previously set standards in lighting technology at Le Mans on several occasions. The Audi R10 TDI in 2006 was the first race car equipped with LED daytime running light. On the R15 TDI, LEDs additionally functioned as the high beam. In 2011, with the R18 TDI, Audi used full LED headlights for the first time; and in 2013 matrix LED technology followed.
2006 led daytime running lights > i've had the same concept on my bike when i was 12 years old, and perhaps so did you. remember those little boxes you could clip on your handle bar and put in your backpack? essentially, it's exactly the same.
Daytime running lights provide zero illumination, they're essentially a replacement or the same as good-old 'parking lights'.

R15 TDI 2009 additional (not full) leds on LM cars. Meanwhile, Lexus already ran LED technology headlamps.
2011, R18, Full led headlights; still, led headlight (beam) technology has been in the lexus flagship for several years.
2014; laser lights. But the BMW i8 has them already since last year.

So, Le Mans has given zero road relevance regarding light technology of Audi. It would be the other way aroud; road technology has given racing relevance.

The whole road relevance connection is BS and is too for LM. The only reason they keep their mouths shut regarding this is because Le Mans paints a pretty picture for selling cars and brand image - as long as they win a lot. Audi has had their ass handed to them by Peugeuot a couple of times, not something to be very proud of.

What does work is that le mans is an ENDURANCE race, so being highly successful in an ENDURANCE class automatically is translated for the viewer and the buyer into: Audi has built enduring, reliable racing cars - their road cars must be enduring and reliable just as well, then. (offtopic; i have owned several, they are not reliable AT ALL, nor enduring).

Le mans gives the idea of road relevance, yet in reality, there is nearly zero. It goes for all brands/manufacturers.
Peugeot LM engines have nothing to do with road cars. Neither does any other manufacturer.

Iti's prize money, it's prestige, it's media entertainment, it's sponsorship, it's brand exposure, it's people's hobbies fullfilled, that's why le mans is interesting, not because of supposed road relevancy, there is zero to none.

The problem of F1 is that Bernie controls everything and exposure is limited. Bernie holds all the television and media rights, that's not very pleasing for brand exposure. F1 has had many manufacturers coming in and slamming millions of dollars into the division and still don't get the results they were hoping or expecting. Honda, BMW, Toyota. Honda might be coming back next year, but don't forget 2008/2009. And then, we have smaller teams that are collapsing.
F1 is not the prettiest environment to begin a 'project' with. The 'image' of F1 isn't very attractive.

That's the reason Audi hasn't entered untill now, and perhaps for the time being, they won't.

statements by some audi motorsport TWITTER and not even a single REAL source doesn't change the possibility Audi is working on the background on some F1 project. They may, they may be not.

It's still silly season and it's quite silly we haven't heard a good definative anwer from the major keyholders in the silly season. the silly season essentialy though is the cause the Audi/VW F1 project rumours are given life again. I'd rather had read about VW/Audi in F1 totally unconnected to the silly season (Alonso), that would make it a bit fair more trustworthy and exciting news.

In any case, Audi/VW would do a good job hiring Alonso, so there's the connection again.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

seinfeld
seinfeld

I said this in the Torro Rosso thread dated 29th August! I will be a genius if it happens haha

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:27 pm

I have a theory why Redbull/ Toro Rosso signed MAX Verstappen. his major sponsor you ask currently is...... Other then RedBull. Drum roll please......... VW group!!

2016 we will see redbull and Toro Rosso with either Audi branded Engines or VW. Porsche Maybe but I say VW has a bigger chance. Mark my words people

Audi are in Lemans with Porsche which is why I'm saying VW has a bigger chance of being the "brand"

Also Dr Marko hinted at the VW group not long ago when he was complaining about the Renault Engine

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Manoah2u wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:
Also other various things like LED and Laser headlights..
hell no.
Fine, but that wasn't even my primary example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_d ... on#History

"In 2000, the Volkswagen Group introduced its gasoline direct injection engine in the Volkswagen Lupo, a 1.4 L inline-four unit, under the product name "Fuel Stratified Injection" (FSI) and "Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection" (TFSI).[36] The technology was adapted from Audi's Le Mans prototype race car R8. "