MotoGP 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
NathanOlder

Re: MotoGP 2015

turbof1 wrote:Well Rossi is still in the seat there. Sepang might just be another oppertunity to open the gap to Lorenzo if it rains, so Lorenzo must make Philip Island count.
And we all know hiw much Vale loves Phillip Island. Going to be tough for George.

Another thing to mention about the Ducati and the extra wings copied from the Yam, loved how they were being called Twin Wings :lol: as it was Motegi of course.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Andres125sx

Only three races to go and 18 points... Its going to be a tough battle

Tommy Cookers wrote:we might think that as such DF has a neutral effect on cornering ......

assuming the DF component is in the plane of the motorcycle (ie there's no asymmetrical effect eg due to slip angles/AoA etc )
and that the rider leans to the same angle as the bike is leaned, and that angle is equivalent to maximum possible cornering .....
the component of DF normal to the road surface increases the contact load and so increases (potentially) total centripetal force
enough to compensate exactly for total centrifugal force being increased by the centrifugal component of the DF

but with the bike/wing lean angle being less than the combined bike/rider lean angle there is a cornering benefit .....

because then DF will then increase total centripetal cornering force more than it increases total centrifugal cornering force
(imagine if a very lightweight bike was upright and very heavy rider was leaning horizontally, the DF would be rather beneficial)

and even without DF the bike will at speed be front light due to the moment from the aero drag etc
so yes, the time is right for a bit of DF

btw - I have not seen on the TV values of lean angle data over 61deg
Never considered rider-bike different lean angles to evaluate DF on bikes so I had always considered DF was not posible without active aero, but that looks reasonable, good point

mikeerfol

About lean angles, I'm sure I've seen the Hondas do 62 or even 63 degrees.

Pierce89

Tommy Cookers wrote:we might think that as such DF has a neutral effect on cornering ......

assuming the DF component is in the plane of the motorcycle (ie there's no asymmetrical effect eg due to slip angles/AoA etc )
and that the rider leans to the same angle as the bike is leaned, and that angle is equivalent to maximum possible cornering .....
the component of DF normal to the road surface increases the contact load and so increases (potentially) total centripetal force
enough to compensate exactly for total centrifugal force being increased by the centrifugal component of the DF

but with the bike/wing lean angle being less than the combined bike/rider lean angle there is a cornering benefit .....

because then DF will then increase total centripetal cornering force more than it increases total centrifugal cornering force
(imagine if a very lightweight bike was upright and very heavy rider was leaning horizontally, the DF would be rather beneficial)

and even without DF the bike will at speed be front light due to the moment from the aero drag etc
so yes, the time is right for a bit of DF

btw - I have not seen on the TV values of lean angle data over 61deg
As an interesting point, going further on that subject, it could develop down a route, once the teams get better with aero, riding styles where the rider hangs off further could exploit DF better. This could be very interesting or very weird path or most likely the FIM would try to eliminate aero DF. I do like the fact that, as it stands, the front wings are anti wheelie devices and could increase high speed braking capacity. I don't know if aero DF suits motorcycle racing any further than that though, as they've been trying to use DF for years without ever really finding much benefit.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Andres125sx

Pierce89 wrote: once the teams get better with aero, riding styles where the rider hangs off further could exploit DF better. This could be very interesting or very weird path
But with riders actually dragging their elbows and almost the shoulder, they can´t hang of much further, so DF will have very limited development becasue they can´t take much advantage of the added grip.

bdr529

I read that the 2nd set of wings in front of the radiator may have less to do with downforce and more to do with creating a low pressure area at the exit of the rad, helping reduce drag and improve air flow through the radiator

Still looks a little odd seeing wings on a motorcycle, but times are a changing,
I will miss the wheelies on corner exit :(

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

That was a suitably exciting race.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Phillip Is. sure laid on yet another stunner.. a really full-on race for a cool change..

George blew it on the last lap, but still pulled 6 points back on Rossi..
Good work from M-M for his 1st victory there after a couple of disasters.. & Ian' punched the Ducati around real good..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

mikeerfol

Easily the best of the year.

hollus

Rivals, not enemies.

bdr529

Phillip Island, you're either going to see a great race, a bird get hit, or both
not much you can do about the seagulls when you put a track beside the sea.

Enjoyable race, lots of action, good battle up front, Iannone and Ducati are starting to click, good to see
The 7 points Lorenzo gained on Rossi should make for some excitement in the last 2 races
Always worth getting up in the middle of the night for this race

bauc

What a race! wow .....just brilliant
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Stunning race, really enjoyed it. Only pity was that I had to watch so much on double speed as I overslept and had to watch it before a trip to the in-laws!

Really excited for the final races. I won't have internet or TV for the Malaysia round, so won't see that, but I will be all set for Valencia - hopefully it's a stunning finale!

Andres125sx

Amazing race, kudos for Ianonne, great battle. All of them were really brave, one of the best races I´ve ever seen. :D

J.A.W. wrote:George blew it on the last lap, but still pulled 6 points back on Rossi..
Actually, it was not Jorge´s fault, but Marquez merit, he did an asthonishing last lap going faster in last lap (1:29.280) than any other rider in his fastest lap of the whole weekend :wtf: :wink:

http://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics

turbof1

I think that was hands down the best race I've seen this season, maybe the best one since I started viewing motogp. I'm cursing myself for reading the result before watching the race in replay. I was thinking "hold on, we only have one lap to go and Marquez is nowhere in position to win that race, with Lorenzo having a gap."

What he then shrugged out of the bike was un-be-lieve-able. I think Lorenzo was feeling a bit too safe with that gap. He might have tried to defend it harder if he knew Marquez closed the gap that quickly.

Marquez is not going to be world champion this year, but he rode like one. Actually all 4 of them rode like champions.
#AeroFrodo