Return Of The Mighty V-10?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ojlopez
ojlopez

Re: Return Of The Mighty V-10?

Bernie should retire and soon, before he kills F1 with this attitude. Lets face it, like the 1000+ HP engines of the 80's, the V-12 of the 90's, the V-8's and V-10's are a thing from the past, like US muscle cars. The new era calls for efficiency, technology that can be transferred to road cars.

I miss the sound of the V-12's, V-10's and V-8's but I do like the new engines. The sound of the turbo spooling is priceless.

diemaster
diemaster

yeah, i loved it. Rules will change =D>

MOWOG

Thank you, Turbo. That is the sort of information I was looking for. =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Bernie is losing his mind, not in a funny way either. In a way that means he needs some proper help now.

Can you imagine of the CEO of any other billion dollar company started talking this much garbage about there own company? They would be carted off to the old peoples home, not given more power.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Moose
Moose

Facts Only wrote:Bernie is losing his mind, not in a funny way either. In a way that means he needs some proper help now.

Can you imagine of the CEO of any other billion dollar company started talking this much garbage about there own company? They would be carted off to the old peoples home, not given more power.
You are imagining that Bernie really thinks the same things that he says.

Bernie has a history of getting exactly what he wants by saying something ridiculous, and weird, and then having everyone else think they've come up with a brilliant idea, which was actually what Bernie was after anyway, or which allows Bernie to hide the thing he was really after in the small print.

The guy is not as dumb as you like to think.

turbof1

Moose wrote:
Facts Only wrote:Bernie is losing his mind, not in a funny way either. In a way that means he needs some proper help now.

You are imagining that Bernie really thinks the same things that he says.

Bernie has a history of getting exactly what he wants by saying something ridiculous, and weird, and then having everyone else think they've come up with a brilliant idea, which was actually what Bernie was after anyway, or which allows Bernie to hide the thing he was really after in the small print.

The guy is not as dumb as you like to think.
The thing is, he did release a vital and very sensitive piece of information about the concorde agreement, that the fia had to accept 40 million in turn of handing most of the rule-making rights. Apperently the fia needed to do this since they had a big deficit. Very unprofessional to either release this piece information, or to lie about it. That's not something you just release into the public.
#AeroFrodo

bill shoe
bill shoe

No more wondering why the FIA has been weak lately. They have sold themselves into a position where there are a contracting house that gets paid $40 million per year to perform scrutineering work at race weekends. Once or twice a season they will "reinterpret" the rules to assert a kind of control, for example their 2014 choice to say that FRIC suspension was suddenly illegal. But nothing too significant.

I reaaally hate to say this, but...

Max Mosley was a lousy custodian of the FIA and Formula 1 in many ways, but he never would have allowed this to happen. He understood that the FIA asserted real control or became irrelevant. There's no way he would have accepted something like the current situation where Jean Todt wanders around the paddock mumbling that the teams would not agree to let him do this or that.

If I'm praising Mosley then the current situation is grim. The future has arrived and it's ugly, but it's also really fascinating. Formula 1 is the only place where people and power are bought and sold so blatantly.

McLobby

Am I the only one who would like to see hybrid V10s with turbos in F1?
Why would racing have to be compromised with economy and efficiency? That's for family sedans, estates and small city cars, which are designed to be like that. Who would take those cars to the track? When you design a race car you have totally different route to take than low revs, economy, mileage etc.
Whats the next step in that route v3's ecoboost? that will be the death of F1.
Yes all these are good and useful but they do not have a pace in the pinnacle of motorsports.
We already have e-formula, and gp2 could very well follow the route of smaller engines, but not F1.

F1 build its name and made the world interested by being ''exotic'' and not ordinary.
F1 is about ultimate racing on tracks and should be about transferring the tech to road super cars, and not to our everyday cars, which are build for our everyday transportation.

Supercars or hyper cars are the pinnacle of road cars and they all have massive v12s, v10s and v8s some combined with hybrid tech.Plus most of the costumers also buy them for the amazing sound they make.
Imo since F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports it should follow the same route, be exotic and achieve the peak of performance. How is that going backwards?
I also don't understand why many of you think v10s are outdated, they are not going to be the same as 10 years ago.

Ps sorry for my ranting

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

bill shoe wrote: Max Mosley was a lousy custodian of the FIA and Formula 1 in many ways, but he never would have allowed this to happen. He understood that the FIA asserted real control or became irrelevant. There's no way he would have accepted something like the current situation where Jean Todt wanders around the paddock mumbling that the teams would not agree to let him do this or that.
Max Mosley put FIA into that position. He gave the commercial rights to Bernie for a 100 years for a fraction of their actual value. It was a single payment and that's it. The FIA ran out of money and Todt had very little choise.

Blackout

In a parallel universe, FIA decided to leave turbo and road cars to Endurance, to keep the 2013 V8 and to let the teams modernize them with more up-to-date technologies (like variable distribution etc) and more 'futuristic' ones (like cameless distribution etc) and to develop the ERS power and energy sources.
That's why many old and new engine makers re-joined F1. In their world, they still got the sound, they got very efficient engines and they kept costs under control.
In their world, F1 has become a showcase and a technology laboratory again. Their F1 is still as extreme and exclusive as before and is closer to the road cars in the same time... Their F1 stands out and cant be compared to other series because it followed its own route.

MOWOG

Whats the next step in that route v3's ecoboost?
In response to McLobby's question, I have always been a staunch advocate of the tri-turbo Y-9. Packaging may be an issue, however! :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xpensive
xpensive

Blackout wrote:In a parallel universe, FIA decided to leave turbo and road cars to Endurance, to keep the 2013 V8 and to let the teams modernize them with more up-to-date technologies (like variable distribution etc) and more 'futuristic' ones (like cameless distribution etc) and to develop the ERS power and energy sources.
That's why many old and new engine makers re-joined F1. In their world, they still got the sound, they got very efficient engines and they kept costs under control.
In their world, F1 has become a showcase and a technology laboratory again. Their F1 is still as extreme and exclusive as before and is closer to the road cars in the same time... Their F1 stands out and cant be compared to other series because it followed its own route.
Meanwhile in our universe, Formula 1 has become a glorified Prius Spec-formula, unless you have a Mercedes engine of course.

Then you compete in the Premier Prius Spec-formula.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

goonerf1
goonerf1

If I'm not mistaken, aren't Mercedes the only team with "Hybrid" written on their engine cover? For such new tech that the teams are supposedly so proud of, they're not exactly doing a lot of shouting or jumping up and down about it to advertise it. I think they know they've ballsed up to be honest.

Ah well. New engine regs coming 2016. F1 has to get them right!

user001
user001

you're all gonna scream at me but in my opinion F1 is about racing.

a 1000HP engine would be great. performance and sound wise.

research regarding efficiency can be done also without F1. what are the car companies doing in their research labs? they simply don't want to spend the money for the research because they've got no return out of that. in formula 1 they can do the "so called road relevant research" and get money out of it if a works team is successful.

F1 is a sport and its there for the racing.

turbof1

winth304 wrote:you're all gonna scream at me but in my opinion F1 is about racing.

a 1000HP engine would be great. performance and sound wise.

research regarding efficiency can be done also without F1. what are the car companies doing in their research labs? they simply don't want to spend the money for the research because they've got no return out of that. in formula 1 they can do the "so called road relevant research" and get money out of it if a works team is successful.

F1 is a sport and its there for the racing.
A 1000bhp engine would be relative straightforward to get out of the current engine formula. You just need to up the fuel flow and perhaps the ers too.
#AeroFrodo