New quali format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mep

Kimi finished on the podium starting from last position.
Importand is the amount of fuel you take with your car.
Have you enjoyed the race?
If yes then stop complaining.

Scuderia_Russ

Sawtooth-spike wrote:the old one hour was great, all it needed was the teams coming out a little earlyer, maybe just force the Teams to do X number of laps every 15 mins.
Even if this was the case then drivers wouldn't really be under pressure. The first half hour would probably be to fine tune set up, third 15 mins to put in a banker lap then a flying lap in the last 15 mins. Under the new system drivers are under pressure for the whole hour, constantly looking over their shoulders to make sure they make the cut and get into the next round. This will lead to more errors and more action in general. It's better than the one hour twelve laps that everyone seems so intent on returning to in my opinion.

manchild
manchild

Than 1 hour qualifying should be reduced to 1/2 hour and the problem would be solved.

BTW, even when there was 1 hour qualifying if the rain was possible all cars were out on track asap.

Scuderia_Russ

manchild wrote:BTW, even when there was 1 hour qualifying if the rain was possible all cars were out on track asap.
This was very rare though.

dumrick
dumrick

mep wrote:Taking the fuel load from quali to race is the best rule they made during the last few years because it gives much more possipilities in race strategie.
In earlier times we had only one or two stops per driver.
Now we can see 1,2,3 or even 4 stop strategies.
Oh, is that right? In which planet are you watching F1, then? Here on Earth, in Bahrein for instance, everyone, except Ralf Schumacher, was in 1 or two pit-stop strategies. And it has been generally that way in recent years, also.

Greetings from Earth, anyway...

manchild
manchild

dumrick wrote:Oh, is that right? In which planet are you watching F1, then? Here on Earth, in Bahrein for instance, everyone, except Ralf Schumacher, was in 1 or two pit-stop strategies. And it has been generally that way in recent years, also.

That was so only on this race while mep wrote his post at Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:17 am which was several hours before the race in Bahrain.

Last year and several years back there were 3 or 4 planned pitsops on several occasions, especially 3 stops.

acer

where is mep watching from?.......Mars? :roll: ...
You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. - Ayrton Senna

wowf1
wowf1

I agree with some of your points manchild, but how does it make sense having a 1 hour session (aka the old way) where nothing happens for the first 30mins? Surely just make the session 30mins to begin with? Or possibly 20mins.

I believe this new quali system is excellent, bar the pollution-increasing final session. The problem, as people have said, is the 15mins of driving around.

I can see 3 possible solutions for this:

1) Make the final 10 runners quote their starting fuel level before they commence the final session. Then qualify on low fuel. Then fill up to the pre-specified level before the race.

2) Allow everyone to qualify on low fuel, as per the rules for positions 11-22. Then allow everyone to alter fuel levels before the race.

3) Make the whole field quote and fill up with their starting fuel level before qualifying. Then, the faster runners who make it into Q2 and Q3 have lower fuel levels.

I like solution 3) because if some of the slow teams decide to be silly and run low-fuel then they'll just end up having to pit early, or it could go pear-shaped and they'd still end up in positions 11-22. It could also mix up the grid a bit (although I'm with manchild about being against false-racing). Lastly, this would add another dimension to fuel-strategy and produce some interesting racing early on in the GP.

Having said all that, I can't see the FIA changing it much.

mep

dumrick wrote:

Oh, is that right? In which planet are you watching F1, then? Here on Earth, in Bahrein for instance, everyone, except Ralf Schumacher, was in 1 or two pit-stop strategies. And it has been generally that way in recent years, also.

Ohhh dummy you are so clever. :roll:
This rule exist for several years now. Since 2003 I think.
Do you remember the race in france where schumi made a lot of pit stops.
How much has he made? -4 or 5 I'm not quite sure, but a lot of.
And we will see 3 stop strategies this year as we have seen in 03 and 04.

It seem like you and acer have forgotten this. And now I'm asking you, where you are whatching F1 - in your dumm dreams I guess. :evil:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Group hug, we're all race fans in here, no need to get nasty on disagreements. Please.

axle
axle

I think the new qualifying was superb...for the first two sessions...but I feel the last session was not good enough.

1) The last session prompted burning off of fuel - how is that envirmentally responsible? Yes I realise that it's F1 and I'm watching motorsport which isn't envirmentally friendly, but this was just blatent running round for the sake of it...wasting fuel on purpose not for entertainment - IYSWIM.
2) It was like watching planes circle round an airport - yawn.

I believe that the 3rd session should be changed to prevent this total waste of fuel. Personally I'd prefer watching the cars do 4 sessions of Bansai laps with knock outs after each session. 20mins 15mins 10mins 10mins. This will still have all the drama and still waste just as much fuel but there won't be any messing about....which is what I felt that last session was. It did play into the hands of the best tyre over 15 laps though...which seems to be the bridgestones...interesting from a tyre degredation perspective....interesting as I'm a Williams fan and they are on the Bridgestones that seem to last better.

I loved the traffic aspect as you could see drivers drafting each other down the long back straight of Bahrain. Rosberg did it at the end of the first session :D

This is definately the way forward...it just needs a polish :D
- Axle

mep

I don't have a problem if someone disagrees but I have a problem
with the kind of stile those two answerd my post.
They say I'm living on mars based on their misunderstanding of my post.
I don't realy see the reason for their response.

allan
allan

hey guys!!
common, it's not a big deal!
stay cooooL! :wink:
in my opinion i liked the new format, it looks like a MINI-RACE...
2b honest, in the previous formats, i sometimes slept during the session...

rmw_77
rmw_77

I thouht the new qualifying sessions was superb. For once it was possible to see all the cars on the track without the quiet periods which used to be present in the old 1hr session.

Maybe they should look to reduce the friday tests, after all, the quicker cars get the chance to do more laps of the circuit during the final 30 minutes.

Lets see how it pans out over the rest of the season. So far I am impressed with the quality of racing and qualifying. Maybe we could ask max and his friends to stop now and hope the show continues.

Hoep you all enjoy the rest of the season.

manchild
manchild

How is this new qualifying format dealing with drivers who are changing engines before qualifying?

I mean, if driver that has changed engine goes into 3rd shoot-out would he be able to fuel-up as the rest of the drivers below 10th position?

Also, since FIA knows that engine is previously changed and driver can’t be in the top 10 at the end, does this regardless on it means that they won’t be allowed to fuel-up like the rest 10+ because they’ve entered 3rd shoot-out?

Hope my doubts/questions are understandable :oops: