Ferrari 248F1 brake drums

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
manchild
manchild

Check out the brakes on Ferrari! :shock:

manchild
manchild

How come nobody has nothing to say about brakes cover on F248?
It looks that it had been widened almost double, outwards, all the way to spokes of wheel.

Reca, any feedback? :wink:

FLC
FLC

is it some sort of protection for the brakes from the sand in bahrain? or its always like that?

manchild
manchild

To me it look like it was intended to protect rim of the wheel from heat (possibly Bridgestone tyres don't like that much heat?)

Tp
Tp

manchild
manchild

Indeed it helps!

Ferrari has moved discs outwards as much as it was possible. That is why when covered brakes looks like that.

Steven
Owner

manchild wrote:How come nobody has nothing to say about brakes cover on F248?
It looks that it had been widened almost double, outwards, all the way to spokes of wheel.
Well there's nothing really special about it. This is the system that was pioneered by the Prost team several years ago. It is a box with fins in that rotate with the speed of the wheel to suck in air instead of relying on the push from driving air.
I'm not sure if the other teams still use it or whether they remove it when the car is in the pits (I'll have a look in tomorrow's pitstops).

manchild
manchild

I thought that having anything similar to fan is illegal, even the wheel spokes :?

Tom

I thought I saw it on a few cars but didn't pay much attention to it.
Definetly looked like they had it on track.
I'm sure I saw it on Montoya's car.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Everyone uses them now. It's part of a ducting arraingement to control the air ducted in, through the wheel and the brake disks. It's much more efficient than no ducting, and it does a very good job of managing the airflow though the brake disks and area around them.

manchild
manchild

DaveKillens wrote:Everyone uses them now. It's part of a ducting arraingement to control the air ducted in, through the wheel and the brake disks. It's much more efficient than no ducting, and it does a very good job of managing the airflow though the brake disks and area around them.
Ducting is one thing but up till now discs were visible and the air exiting them was going trough rim outside. On F248 discs are more distant from the upright and they are fully covered so hot air has no contact with rim before it reaches the spokes.

No one had this in 2005.

zac510
zac510

I always though that brake disc heat could be influential on the tyre temperature but perhaps this is exactly what they are trying to control.

scarbs
scarbs

These arent new, Williams ran them late last year on he rear leading to the wheel failures. Since then BAR(Honda) and toyota have run them. Ferrari have tried these since December testing.
They simply duct the flow out through the wheel spokes more efficiently, this also keeps heat from the wheel that affects tyre pressure and temp.
The disc layout doesnt alter, this spacer simply covers the space between the disc and wheel required for clearing the brake calliper.
No F1 team uses (or has used) fans within the brakes, This was a false rumour set about in 2001 when Ferrari first ran barrel brake ducts. The teams to however make sure any slots in the hub are chamfered the right way toencourage airflow, but not to create a fan effect.

manchild
manchild

I know about the rear brakes on Williams in late 2005 but I think this is the first time someone has used this on front brakes.