Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Vasconia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:He said a new PU with a lot more power will be introduced soon, also that they´ve passed the worst part of the seasson.
I hope this is true but I havent see this information anywhere. Its time for Honda to bring a serious update of the PU.
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:He said a new PU with a lot more power will be introduced soon,
who,where,when and link?
Sorry no link, I heard that from Alonso on various pre and post race interviews. First he said was they would make a big step forward in some races, then he said they´ll receive a new PU soon, and after last race he confirmed a new PU with more power will arrive soon. He never said when that will happen tough, but since it was not a single comment, but several on the same direction, I´m sure they´re true.

Hopefully for Spa :D

mrluke
mrluke

zeph wrote:While we mostly complain about the Honda PU here, Eddie Jordan reckons McLaren is just as much part of the problem:
"You can say Honda is a mess. But so are McLaren. They have been a shadow of their former selves since they arrogantly stated that Lewis Hamilton would rue the day he left McLaren. Look how that has rebounded on them.

"That arrogance is still there at the top of McLaren. They are hopelessly off the pace and anyone who thinks it is just the engine is deluding themselves. The engine is a lot of it, but there are lots of other issues there.

"I personally think the day McLaren started building road cars was the day they took their eye off the ball in F1, and I will be surprised if they ever come close to winning titles again while that road car programme is still going and while the current management structure is in place.

"McLaren boss Ron Dennis sacked ex-team principal Martin Whitmarsh. But Whitmarsh never did the job of running that team as badly as Dennis is doing it now."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/33329345
Agree completely.

flmkane
flmkane

Anyone - ANYONE else here notice that the MP4-30 is 7-8 tenths faster than the 2014 Silverstone pole time?

Honda has a first year engine in an EXTREMELY complicated and difficult formula and they TOOK RISKS. The damned engine is unreliable but it is NOT BAD AT ALL, especially when you consider the fact that Mercedes had a lot longer to develop their V6 turbo. Not only that, Mercedes has had an extra year of data and testing to develop their 2015 PU, a luxury that Honda did not have. This means that if Honda had entered a year early, they'd possibly have made a championship contender for 2014.

Honda has actually made a fantastic engine given the time and resources it has. The potential within the engine will be unlocked as soon as they are able to do so and will not be rushed by irate fans, nor by sharp words of the press. When that happens I'll bet that they'll overhaul Williams and Ferrari.

I know how negativity can be difficult to avoid, especially for long term McLaren fans, but there is PROOF that Honda is not hopeless and the proof lies within the lap times. They are very fast for a first year engine supplier and they haven't even used 7 tokens yet. Plus they can make as many reliability updates as they will need.

I know that F1 is a game where only the present state is relevant. 8 tenths faster than last year is still 2.5 seconds slower than the W06. However, given the testing restrictions, token restrictions and complicated formula, Honda has already done pretty well and will only get better.

domh245
domh245

flmkane wrote:Anyone - ANYONE else here notice that the MP4-30 is 7-8 tenths faster than the 2014 Silverstone pole time?
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, I didn't see any smilies in your post. Q3 2014 was a wet session, and only the final sector on the final lap was dry enough for improvements to happen (which saw Hamilton drop to 6th). The first 2 sectors were still wet, so lots of time was lost there. As it is, Alonso's 2015 time (1:34.95) is about a tenth down on the fastest time from qualifying overall (which was Hamilton's Q2 time of 1:34.87)

If you are going to compare things, try to avoid comparisons between apples and pears

Thunder

Jenson will drive for Mclaren next Year:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24180 ... n-for-2016

That's great. So he gets the Chance to drive the (hopefully) much more competitive Car in 2016. That kind of softens the Pain he goes through right now.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:Jenson will drive for Mclaren next Year:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24180 ... n-for-2016

That's great. So he gets the Chance to drive the (hopefully) much more competitive Car in 2016. That kind of softens the Pain he goes through right now.
He deserves it. You cannot simply fire a driver like Jenson after such a disastrous season.

Andres125sx

http://www.marca.com/2015/07/07/motor/f ... 55911.html

They say Honda have planned to use more tokens even before the summer break, for Budapest, with a new combustion chamber, new valves management and turbocharger modifications

Also some new aero parts.

So what Alonso said seems true :)

mikeerfol

So still no tokens for the ERS?..

Thunder

In one Interview with Arai i read that he thinks the ICE is more limiting for them. If Honda can use their ICE to a better degree, ERS efficiency will come as a side effect. Don't know what Interview it was though.

And i don't know what the Marca Article sais. But on Page 77 i said the rumour about the Budapest Update is floating around based on the question of the 5th engine. So if they get the official go Honda will bring the Update in Budapest, if no more likely in Spa. Is that somewhere in the Article too or do they know more?

Edit: This is one of the Interviews with Arai. I thought there was another one but can't find it right now.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... -is-coming
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Writinglife
Writinglife

I will be very happy if Button is retained next year, he truly deserves it after the long delay in announcing for this season, and for keeping the faith and not disparaging the team (Honda or McLaren).

as for the other points, I've said before that (as a McLaren fan for most of my life) I'm just going to accept that this season was always going to be difficult after the winter testing. Right now, we're only confident of beating Manor Marussia, and anything more than that is a bonus.

ME4ME

I fully agree with Eddie Jordan's statement.

Ron Dennis is so arrogant it's unbelievable. The teams' senior management is affected by this, following his working ethic, making the situation worse.

By now I believe none of what Dennis says. Everything coming from Mclaren needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

First Dennis stated he wouldn't attend any races - at the first race he appeared on the pit wall and has since stayed.
Also time and time again he stated Mclaren would announce a title partner soon. He even set deadlines. The announcement never happened. Then he said Mclaren would score podiums and even wins at the end of the year - looking very unlikely. Also when Alonso had his pre-season crash, the team and the driver contradicted themselves. Dennis even stated Alonso wasn't concussed, which was a lie. He later corrected it in the media.

Honda is one reason why Mclaren are at the back of the grid, and surely there isn't much Mclaren can do about it. But even with the best engine, I doubt they'd win. The team, especially senior management is a mess.

astracrazy
astracrazy

ME4ME wrote:First Dennis stated he wouldn't attend any races - at the first race he appeared on the pit wall and has since stayed.
He stands in the garage, he doesn't have a seat on the pitwall.....

I don't remember him appearing too many times last year though? But considering how poor Mclaren are doing this year, I would expect him to be there every race

SunsAnvil
SunsAnvil

As I posted in another thread where this came up.... Are we really allowing Eddie Jordan to judge the performance of the Mclaren F1 team and it's top man? Eddie Jordan?... Remember all those F1 trophies that Eddie won before he stepped down gracefully! Me neither!

Phil

So success is a requirement to voice an opinion and his take on the situation, because... hum... us armchair experts who are complete *outsiders* know better or disagree with it?

I for one am happy that we do have people like Eddie who put themselves out there that give us some honest opinion/take without the usual beating around the bush. It might not always be the popular opinion, but who cares? And at the end of the day, it's still only a single opinion. Same applies to the ever as direct Niki Lauda - love him or hate him for it. But past success IMO is utterly irrelevant here (especially since that has a lot more to do with many factors, not just the team-principal or owner, but also budgets and ability of the team itself etc).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

kptaylor
kptaylor

Can someone clarify where they're at with PUs at the moment? The "new" version 2.0 PU was to debut in Austria but was damaged when Alonso crashed. At Silverstone they were using "old" units in FP (version 1.0?), but did they switch to a new version 2.0 PU for the race or did they continue on with an older spec used version 1.0 PU? If so, we haven't seen the 2.0 PU run consistently yet. So are they talking about another spec (version 3.0) or just the 2.0 version we really haven't seen yet?

:?: