Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
windwaves
windwaves

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

dude, what are you talking about....you are completely misrepresenting the things I have been saying from pre season testing. It will take lots of time .... in fact I have always said 2016 will be the year where we can hope to see McL become a player near the top (with Ferrari, RB, hopefully Willis) and 2017 we can hope to start thinking of the serious stuff. Learn to read please.

windwaves
windwaves

Andres125sx wrote:
windwaves wrote:Points in Montecarlo, from Button only
Alonso was 9th when the gearbox failed, and IIRC it was the fourth race for that gearbox (since China?)

ok, ok. Fact is, it is irrelevant. He did not finish. We need miles.......

Andres125sx

windwaves wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
windwaves wrote:Points in Montecarlo, from Button only
Alonso was 9th when the gearbox failed, and IIRC it was the fourth race for that gearbox (since China?)

ok, ok. Fact is, it is irrelevant. He did not finish. We need miles.......
Actually, the irrelevant thing is their results. If you agree this season is just a pre-season, then results don´t matter at all, it´s progress, perfomance and obviously reliability what matters.

Reliability need to improve, no doubt, but perfomance is improving constantly, the progress is obvious, and since we´ve only seen 6 of 19 races, only first third, and they´ve manage to go from 4.5 seconds from fastest car to 1.5 seconds (talking from memory exact number is around there), I think we can safely say the progress is consistent, and that´s what matters this season

So sorry but IMO it´s you who is misrepresenting the thing, this season results are irrelevant, it´s progress what counts, and that is consistent. Results will only count on last races, to see what chances do they have to start next season on a strong position

Andres125sx

According to Marca, McLaren will bring an almost new car to Red Bull Ring wich is the product of Montmelo tests, while Honda will bring a new PU after using most tokens allowed for the season in Hungary

So Canada will be difficult because the car will be very similar, but after that they expect a big step forward

If that´s true and we´re talking about perfomance and not only reliability, they will be fighting maybe for top 6 at least

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Why do these discussion remind me of this?

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:According to Marca, McLaren will bring an almost new car to Red Bull Ring wich is the product of Montmelo tests, while Honda will bring a new PU after using most tokens allowed for the season in Hungary

So Canada will be difficult because the car will be very similar, but after that they expect a big step forward

If that´s true and we´re talking about perfomance and not only reliability, they will be fighting maybe for top 6 at least
It seems a little bit weird to introduce a complete aerodinamic packcage just before the engine upgrade. The car´s behaviour could change a lot with the updated PU and perhaps the new aerodinamic packcage could not work as well as they expect.

Thunder

They have all the shared Data, did Tests and Race Weekends together. I'm sure McLaren and Honda can bring developments on their respective End of the Car independently. If McLaren would have to wait for Honda to make the Engine Upgrade, then design and fine tune the Aero they would be at the end of the Season before the First Aero Package.

On top of that i really don't think Aero Upgrades are designed with the Engine too much in Mind. If there are any internal changes i'm sure Honda is on Board in the designing Phase already.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:According to Marca, McLaren will bring an almost new car to Red Bull Ring wich is the product of Montmelo tests, while Honda will bring a new PU after using most tokens allowed for the season in Hungary

I admire the optimism but putting numbers on it? .....Let's not get ahead of ourselves.....

Plus Eric said MAYBE HUNGRY for the tokens.
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/202159/m ... r-austria?

trinidefender
trinidefender

Seen a few articles contradict each other. Some say McLaren will use two tokens for Canada and some say for Austria. This article seems pretty sure of itself that it will be for Canada. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... grand-prix

stevesingo
stevesingo

I believe what Honda have done is submit a new engine specification for homologation.

Why would they do this if they are not intending on using it?

Post Monaco examinations may indicate a problem is on the way.

If they have PU failures in FP or Quali they may be forced to take a PU component they will be forced to keep that component for the next 4-5 races, and therefore another 4-5 races with a less than ideal spec PU component.

Thunder

trinidefender wrote:Seen a few articles contradict each other. Some say McLaren will use two tokens for Canada and some say for Austria. This article seems pretty sure of itself that it will be for Canada. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... grand-prix
Motorsport Total claims the Tokens will be unsed for Austria. Guess we'll have to wait and see. They surely could need them in Canada already.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 60114.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

trinidefender wrote:Seen a few articles contradict each other. Some say McLaren will use two tokens for Canada and some say for Austria. This article seems pretty sure of itself that it will be for Canada. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... grand-prix
Maybe Jonathan Noble should ensure about what he says before publishing an article, because only two hours earlier he was saying this:
Motorsport wrote:Despite having used the tokens for its engine, it is believed to favour introducing an upgraded engine for the Austrian Grand Prix.

So it could use its current engines for the Montreal weekend before introducing an upgrade at the Red Bull Ring.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/exclu ... ine-tokens

It also is funny how he quote in those two articles different statements from Arai.... but both from Monaco GP, each one to support a different conclusion, first to say they will not use new motor in Canada, then to say they will use the new motor in Canada

Journalists... :roll:

Vasconia

Well, this even funnier because I have just seen that according to some Spanish websites Honda will bring an upgrades PU using two tokens.

db__

According to Autosport:
A technical directive issued by Charlie Whiting to all the teams confirms Ferrari has used three tokens and Honda two.
and
AUTOSPORT understands the upgraded Honda power unit will be in the McLaren MP4-30 for this weekend's event at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal.

Honda chief Yasuhisa Arai confirmed after the recent Monaco GP while the system had improved driveability, it was in need of a boost in horsepower before visiting three power tracks in Montreal, the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone.

Arai said at the time: "Canada is a power circuit, so we need more power, and with heavy braking the energy recovery is also important.

"We will think about how to deliver the MGU-K power to feed that kind of fast, high-speed circuit."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119270

So whilst it's not 100% clear when the updated PU will be used there seems to be little sense in using the tokens to improve power and then leaving it at home.

ollandos
ollandos

i think for canada honda have upgrade engine with 2 tokens ...for 1st time full potential run of PU
for austria maybe we see the new version spec-2 engine (with some more tokens or not )...canada and austria is similar trucks ...and good for compare with canada spec car
in my head i think mclaren honda trying something like this