Sauber F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2015

The figure paid by Sauber is 'way more than €15m' guarenteed by Bernie according to F1Today:

http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/200431 ... r-garde-af

Confirms what most suspected in that Ericsson would've been dropped but also states that Bookhoern has turned down the offer of shares in the team.

jericho

My god, more than 15M! So, now he can go and.......????????????

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Presumably that €15m+ has been advanced by Bernie from 2015 prizemoney, so with the €25m for the engines already advanced, over €40m of prizemoney is already gone in March. Poses a big question Mark over the teams financial future yet again.

aral
aral

Jonnycraig wrote:Presumably that €15m+ has been advanced by Bernie from 2015 prizemoney, so with the €25m for the engines already advanced, over €40m of prizemoney is already gone in March. Poses a big question Mark over the teams financial future yet again.
maybe. but the money the got for their points haul in oz, will more than make up for it

Richard
Richard

Jonnycraig wrote:Poses a big question Mark over the teams financial future yet again.
You don't know is if money lost to VDG is greater or less than the gain from signing his replacement. Given the strength of the Sauber defence I imagine they calculated they would be better off without him even if they did have to pay damages.

efuloni
efuloni

bdr529 wrote:
efuloni wrote:What one thing has to do with another? Sauber comitted a terrible act. Immoral and ilegal, and thats why they were facing court actions.

And VdG was disrespectfull with his colleague. He should not have done that.
Apples and oranges.
So your saying that he should just give up the $8 million and move on, I wouldn't mind know what you think might have been the best thing for him to do on Friday morning

I was talking about VdG wearing Ericsson's suit. Nobody in a clear mind would 'just give up the $8 million and move on'.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Richard wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Poses a big question Mark over the teams financial future yet again.
You don't know is if money lost to VDG is greater or less than the gain from signing his replacement. Given the strength of the Sauber defence I imagine they calculated they would be better off without him even if they did have to pay damages.
They haven't paid any damages though, Bernie has had to step in and pay it as the team couldn't afford to. Ericsson & Nasr have funded them for the 2015 season, but now a huge chunk of the 2016 budget is gone before they've even got there.

It's the epitome of worrying about tomorrow when it comes.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Giedo wasn't interested in money, eh? #-o :lol:

Was clear from the beginning it was going to end like this. I'm glad this saga is coming to an end. =D>
I'm glad when Sauber can focus fully on racing again. Good to have seen Peter's face last weekend, too.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moxie
Moxie

Moxie wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Strategically creating a spectacle in the end has only hurt GvdG and his business and associates imho. Bernie had to intervene and bernie is generally not a happy man when he needs to do these things. In other words; you don't make friends with Bernie like that, and what you want is Bernie as your best friend. Meanwhile no team has any interest in his services ever again. And, he now gave up his racing seat for the melbourne weekend, so all that brawl and brag ended up in absolutely nothing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bernie didn't intervenr because VDG put on Ericsson's overalls. Bernie intervened because without Sauber Motorsport, he was looking at a starting grid of only 13 cars. Bernie has his own contractual obligations to worry about, and if he did not post a minimum number of cars (I'm not sure of the exact number) then he would have lost a lot of money. When VDG's lawyer made arrangements to have Sauber Motorsports assets seized, Bernie's shorts turned brown.
I was rereading the posts, and I realized I worded this poorly. Of course Bernie didn't know that the starting grid would only be 15 cars. He did know that the Manor team was had not been on track, and depending on the timing he may have been aware that Bottas was injured. This should have been enough make his shorts brown. As it was, the DNS's of Kvyat and Magnussen just added to the pain. And probably left Bernie a little relief that he intervened to prevent the Sauber cars from being seized.

Sorry for the double post, but I felt the original wording was not an accurate assessment of either the facts or my opinion of them.

bdr529

Phil wrote:
bdr529 wrote:Yes this is true I don't know the actual contract, but 3 different judges in the individual court cases each ruled in favor of VDG, I'm not basing my opinion on anything but the results of those court cases. and it's 3-0 for VDG
That's a pretty simplistic argument here.
Yes, but I'd say it's more cynical. I'v had to go to court a few times myself for my families business and have been on both sides winner and loser, I'v learned it doesn't matter what I think, it's only the judges ruling that matters,
I just didn't want anyone thinking that I like VDG and hate Sauber or vice versa for that matter, I'm only looking at this as 1 party vs another party. there is no personal stake in this for me, only want to see the right outcome, who ever it is.

I do appreciate what you've said Phil, and I'm sure I'd be more inclined with your point of view if I hadn't been though this a few times already myself, as it stands I'm 4-1 and 2 of them went the other way from what I thought
AnthonyG wrote:
Phil wrote:
bdr529 wrote: As has been mentioned numerous times; The relevant verdict by the Swiss Arbitration court is not legally binding yet. This is pretty standard procedure when a trial or case is in process. I believe without that ruling, VdG would not have had any chance in Australia in the first place.
That's not my quote, that's from Phil
efuloni wrote:
bdr529 wrote: So your saying that he should just give up the $8 million and move on, I wouldn't mind know what you think might have been the best thing for him to do on Friday morning
I was talking about VdG wearing Ericsson's suit. Nobody in a clear mind would 'just give up the $8 million and move on'.
I know nobody would give up $8m I was being facetious, My cruxs is that both yourself and nokivasara have both mention what VDG did by wearing Ericssons overalls was (extremely) disrespectful, and I have asked what could he have done differently, but nether of you guys have given any suggestions,
I'm sure he could have come in Thursday night to do it, or maybe really early Friday morning when nobody was around or better yet VDG could have shown up to one of the 3 testing sessions that they had a got a seat fitting there, He even knew they weren't going to run, him he should have brought his own driving suit instead of taking one that didn't belong to him

bdr529

Manoah2u wrote:Giedo wasn't interested in money, eh? #-o :lol:

Was clear from the beginning it was going to end like this. I'm glad this saga is coming to an end. =D>
I'm glad when Sauber can focus fully on racing again. Good to have seen Peter's face last weekend, too.
I agree, good that's it's over with. hope fully they can figure out a system to prevent this from happening again.
It certainly put a damper on what was a very good weekend on the track for Sauber.

As Manoah2u says "this saga is coming to an end"
and I need to take care of my duties as an Irishman and go celebrate my brother's birthday
Cheers

efuloni
efuloni

bdr529 wrote: I know nobody would give up $8m I was being facetious, My cruxs is that both yourself and nokivasara have both mention what VDG did by wearing Ericssons overalls was (extremely) disrespectful, and I have asked what could he have done differently, but nether of you guys have given any suggestions,
I'm sure he could have come in Thursday night to do it, or maybe really early Friday morning when nobody was around or better yet VDG could have shown up to one of the 3 testing sessions that they had a got a seat fitting there, He even knew they weren't going to run, him he should have brought his own driving suit instead of taking one that didn't belong to him
It was disrespectful. In my opinion he wore it probably following advice (from the lawyers, maybe), to help the case and show up a little for the press.

However, truth be told: there was absolutely no need for him the come out and show himself in front of the cameras wearing his team-mate(?) suit. Imagine how Ericsson felt about it.

Of course it is not THAT huge mistake and I'm not saying he did an unforgivable and terrible thing. And I also know he was in a difficult place, having to make hard decisions. But, even so, it was disrespectful and by now I don't simpathize that much with him. That's all.

But he does not need my simpathy (he's rich, succesfull, talented. Who am I? lol :D ) and, as always, no one here needs to agree with me.

I just think, IMHO, that he could have managed better this specifc situation and get cheers from the fans and other drivers. The drivers were beside him, they all made that pretty clear, but I don't think any of them would have liked this and yes, I also think (just in my mind, no one said a word) his colleagues found that a bit offensive.

Per
Per

efuloni wrote:However, truth be told: there was absolutely no need for him the come out and show himself in front of the cameras wearing his team-mate(?) suit. Imagine how Ericsson felt about it.
My information is that unfortunately Scotty wasn't available to beam him up due to the different time zone in Australia. As such, van der Garde had to walk from the motorhome to the garage all by himself. On top of that he was quite unlucky to find a horde of press photographers in the immediate vicinity who managed to capture the event. ;)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Per wrote:
efuloni wrote:However, truth be told: there was absolutely no need for him the come out and show himself in front of the cameras wearing his team-mate(?) suit. Imagine how Ericsson felt about it.
My information is that unfortunately Scotty wasn't available to beam him up due to the different time zone in Australia. As such, van der Garde had to walk from the motorhome to the garage all by himself. On top of that he was quite unlucky to find a horde of press photographers in the immediate vicinity who managed to capture the event. ;)
because he wasn't expecting any media attention nor asking for it by making things public in the first place :roll:

and above all, he stated in his twitters and media attention before he was carrying his helmet and overalls because he was 'definately' going to race on sunday. instead, he did not wear his overalls from the year before, he took those of ericsson.
that's disrespect right there. he had his 2014 overall, and could/should and according to his own words, did have it in his suitcase. to then wear ericssons overall and not his own for a seat fitting, is as obvious as it gets.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bill shoe
bill shoe

Incredible as it seems, everything that's happened so far is only half of the Sauber fiasco. Conspicuous silence so far regarding the other half, a Mr. Adrian Sutil.

Will the other foot drop? I would think Sutil has been dialing the GVDG lawyer team. If I were Ericsson, I'd be guarding my overalls very carefully at future races. :P