Williams FW37 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes

Shape of the sidepods is quite nice, no abrupt cuts.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Some really good detailed FW37 pictures!

via Sutton

turbof1

Some details have changed on the front wing:

Yellow represents the cut away in the upper element before the upper element strake/flap adjuster, in front of the wheel. Note that area can't be adjusted by changing the flap angle, so it's definitely a structural change.

Red represents the new upper element strake, which is more elaborate and a bit thicker.
#AeroFrodo

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

And some detail on the Williams front wing

turbof1

Oh I didn't know the strake also sticked out of the back of the upper element (note: older wing). That's interesting since that'll create vortex at that spot. Perhaps one to seal the inside wall of the tyre.
#AeroFrodo

tomazy
tomazy

There is also tire temperature sensor on the new front wing that is new to I think.

triptube
triptube

Williams on Saturday: Life is a pit stop

by Dieter Meier Rencken & Roman Witte,
21 February 2015 - 20:53 CET

Williams plays on Saturday at the Formula 1 test in Barcelona "diverse" scenarios by: pit crew must suffer, both drivers with no relevant times.

Always practiced again: Williams graduated on Saturday in Barcelona almost 50 pit stops.

(Motorsport-Total.com) - Williams has used the third Formula 1 test day in Barcelona for the drill of the pit crew. In changing conditions the British team hardly expected any pertinent findings from driving and therefore played "various scenarios that may arise in the race," said chief test engineer Rod Nelson. Originally, it had been recognized that pit stop training for Sunday. On Saturday morning, Felipe Massa completed 55 laps. His best lap time of 1: 26,912 minutes brought him to seventh.

"I completed at the beginning of the day a few laps but it was in my view to gain little way, we have then practiced pit stops, which are extremely important in every race it's good if the team is ready -.. For a Driver is one such training also always important. The whole procedure must be fast. And such a thing can only be achieved through training, "said the Brazilian, who handed the car at lunch to his teammate.

Valtteri Bottas also contributed to the FW37 always the Williams-stopping place in the Barcelona pit lane at - a total of 20 stops on standing. "It was good that we have trained the - for me," said the Finn. "Melbourne is not far away, so we need to get ready for all the elements of a race. Each stop is important. It is good to be prepared." Bottas finished only in the last half hour some timed rounds. In 1: 27,556 minutes he reached ninth.

Crucial new parts arrive next week
"It was difficult, building ever a feel for the car, because the tires were old and the track very cool," says Botta, who came to a total of 49 laps on Saturday. "On Sunday the weather will be better, so we can gain more knowledge. When pit stop every centimeter counts. The times you can win tenth of that do not you just fetch on the track as fast," says Botta's approach. We have analyzed the stops in winter and partly changed the tools.

"For tomorrow we have planned with Valtteri a comprehensive program. Hopefully the conditions will be better," says Nelson. Williams gets only the second Barcelona test week more updates. It is expected then including a new floor and a modified rear wing with only one central strut. "The new things are going to change the behavior of our car, so we had now regarding setup not go into detail," says Botta. "If the new parts coming for the next test and Melbourne, then everything will be different again."

You have the current Williams FW37 a phenomenon on the balance that is not easy to eliminate by could setup so the Finn. Only with new parts can you make decisive steps. "Tomorrow I want as many kilometers do, hopefully a full race simulation. Only next week we will go to the intensive setup work. We have certainly made a step forward, but that will be another success. I guess it is closely go this year ".

"We really need to have all the others on the bill. It is clearly seen that Ferrari has improved, Red Bull is better. Mercedes is but surely be very good. I hope we can be close. But how close which can not yet say, "says Botta. "If you are the front runners, every little mistake I fall more in. As we have learned a lot in 2014. Now we are in a better position than last year. Even as a driver'm better now. I'm looking forward to Melbourne."

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing 3m3 minutes ago
Valtteri is wheeled back into the garage after his latest run. It's windy out on track which will mix things up a bit

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

AUTOSPORT Live ‏@autosportlive 48s48 seconds ago
Bottas pits after a 16-lap stint on soft tyres. His laptimes on lap 14 were what Grosjean fell to on lap seven. Fine work from the Williams.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Just under an hour and a quarter left of the session as @ValtteriBottas heads back out on track