Williams FW37 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
proteus

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes

It just might backfire. If the temperatures get higher than they are expecting it may be a crucial mistake, otherwise i must say that it is nice to see cars closed at the back again after so many years. All i would want to see are shorter normal noses and half a meter shorter wheelbase
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

atlantis
atlantis

Looks like the RR tyre is in very bad shape, they have to be careful running so wide out of the kerb on the grate
Last edited by atlantis on 10 Apr 2015, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Williams seem to be falling back into the upper midfield, their weakness in downforce generation is starting to show...
I was never a fan of their sidepod philosophy for the past 4 years or so, and i think they need a drastic design change on that front. The low drag designs will only be competitive if you have a engine advantage, at the moment Ferrari engines have improved and basically equalled the mercedes power plant.
For Sure!!

bhall II
bhall II

ringo wrote:I was never a fan of their sidepod philosophy for the past 4 years or so...
It's certainly not state of the art, that's for sure.

Sevach
Sevach

Massa said he damaged a new FW on his crash, but i can't find anything different...

Monkey seat on and off on Bottas car.

dren

ringo wrote:Williams seem to be falling back into the upper midfield, their weakness in downforce generation is starting to show...
I was never a fan of their sidepod philosophy for the past 4 years or so, and i think they need a drastic design change on that front. The low drag designs will only be competitive if you have a engine advantage, at the moment Ferrari engines have improved and basically equalled the mercedes power plant.
What exactly is wrong with their sidepod philosophy?

A low drag design's competitiveness is not only reliant on the PU.

The went with an aero efficient design. They don't seem to have the highest trap speeds like they did last year. Maybe they actually do have more DF. Or maybe the switch of fuel suppliers has hurt their power output.

The Williams was much closer to Mercedes last year, it could simply be they didn't make the improvements with the chassis and areo that other teams did.
Honda!

Sevach
Sevach

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

AMUS-> Massa crashed after rearwing stalled - caused by removing of monkey seat. New frontwing got damaged. Only one version left for Bottas.

trinidefender
trinidefender

LookBackTime wrote:AMUS-> Massa crashed after rearwing stalled - caused by removing of monkey seat. New frontwing got damaged. Only one version left for Bottas.
Where was it indicated that he crashed because his rear wing stalled. Further onto that, where is it indicated that the wing stalled because of the removal of the monkey seat?
Link to the article?

ncassi22
ncassi22

dren wrote:
ringo wrote:Williams seem to be falling back into the upper midfield, their weakness in downforce generation is starting to show...
What exactly is wrong with their sidepod philosophy?

A low drag design's competitiveness is not only reliant on the PU.

The went with an aero efficient design. They don't seem to have the highest trap speeds like they did last year. Maybe they actually do have more DF. Or maybe the switch of fuel suppliers has hurt their power output.

The Williams was much closer to Mercedes last year, it could simply be they didn't make the improvements with the chassis and areo that other teams did.
Not much wrong with the philosophy. However placing the cooling exits low and across a greater width than the Williams means the airflow that gets turned up by that thin cascade/gurneyish thing does not get forced down by faster moving airflow just above it.

Sevach
Sevach

Massa did say that the RW stalled and they changed Bottas rear end after that.

Both cars were running without monkey seats before the accident.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Sevach wrote:Massa did say that the RW stalled and they changed Bottas rear end after that.

Both cars were running without monkey seats before the accident.
So what if both cars were running without the monkey seat. That doesn't mean that they stalled the rear wing. The monkey seat has more of an effect on the diffuser than the rear wing. If the rear wing was running that close to its critical AoA for these conditions then the change of ambient temps and pressures throughout the weekend will be occasionally putting it into stall conditions making the car EXTREMELY unstable and almost un-drivable. Not to mention their wing has a constant chord and camber throughout its span. The monkey seat only has an effect on the central part of the wing. Therefore had the monkey seat been the deciding factor if the wing stalls or not then you will have the outer portions of the wing stalling regularly and making the rear of the car unstable....again.