Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

The size of the entrance and exits hurt the care more thsn the size of the radiator. In fact a bigger radiator in the same frontal cross section will have less drag. That is why redbull has such a slanted radiator at a low angle.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

[quote="Blaze1"

but their radiators (and so are their side pods) are huuuuge and also those massive ducts around the roll hoop, cooling cooling cooling

I bet they will slim down their side ods during the season if the can afford it[/quote]
That's one of the things I don't get. I would have expected larger exits, to accommodate the larger flow of air that the larger rads require.[/quote]

No one said the radiators were larger. They simply have a simpler cooling system and remember this you cant compare last years renault cooling requirements to this years mercedes engine. Secondly if the sidepods are designed better internally, seeing as though there are less coolers with air to air, and also the engine may be better packaged, they can still be conservative with their cooling exists and be smaller than last years.
For Sure!!

AlainProst
AlainProst

We can see there isn't all of aerodynamics pieces on the car but it's a test version.
Last edited by AlainProst on 08 Mar 2015, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

AlainProst
AlainProst

GM7 wrote:I was talking about that http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 959871.jpg

Do you think Lotus can use the Williams or Mercedes solution in Australia ?
As Nick Chester says "Reliability before performance" and the 4 air inlets are the demonstration of this. The future package could be introduced in Melbourne but also in Malaysia or China I think, as the engine cover last year.

There is a rumour who says that the Lotus E23 chafe his tyres faster than the others cars and it's a problem for long relays. Have you these informations ?

tomazy
tomazy

AlainProst wrote:
GM7 wrote:I was talking about that http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 959871.jpg

As Nick Chester says "Reliability before performance" and the 4 air inlets are the demonstration of this. The future package could be introduced in Melbourne but also in Malaysia or China I think, as the engine cover last year.

There is a rumour who says that the Lotus E23 chafe his tyres faster than the others cars and it's a problem for long relays. Have you these informations ?
There was a simultanius race simulation started from Lotus and Williams on the same tire. The first few laps were close pace wise, but than, lap time of the lap 7 from the Lotus race, was the same as the lap time of the lap 16 from the Williams, or something like that. That was in test 2.

AlainProst
AlainProst

tomazy wrote:
AlainProst wrote:

There was a simultanius race simulation started from Lotus and Williams on the same tire. The first few laps were close pace wise, but than, lap time of the lap 7 from the Lotus race, was the same as the lap time of the lap 16 from the Williams, or something like that. That was in test 2.
This is a big problem for Lotus so, but I believe that Williams don't chafe many his tyres. It's one of their strong point isn't it ?

Have you the timesheet of this simulation ?

tomazy
tomazy

No, I dont unfortunatly. I just remember reading this on Autosport live comentary.

13:16 Grosjean's quickly out in the Lotus, with the Williams of Bottas and Sainz's Toro Rosso out as well.

13:19 Grosjean leaves the pits again and Lotus confirms that it's a long run.

"Come on @RGrosjean, it must be time for an afternoon race simulation? Let's see what you've got."

13:24 Bottas and Grosjean are both on soft tyres and lapping in the 1m30s.

13:29 Bottas and Grosjean lapping very similarly , thought the Lotus has dropped off the last couple of laps.

13:31 Grosjean's laptimes jumped to the 1m33s but have been consistent since. Bottas is creeping up, his last lap was a 1m32.0s.

13:36 Grosjean pits now, and takes on mediums. Vettel's lapping in the 1m30s in the Ferrari. Bottas continues in the 1m32s.

13:45 Bottas pits after a 16-lap stint on soft tyres. His laptimes on lap 14 were what Grosjean fell to on lap seven. Fine work from the Williams.
http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/821

AlainProst
AlainProst

tomazy wrote:No, I dont unfortunatly. I just remember reading this on Autosport live comentary.

13:16 Grosjean's quickly out in the Lotus, with the Williams of Bottas and Sainz's Toro Rosso out as well.

13:19 Grosjean leaves the pits again and Lotus confirms that it's a long run.

"Come on @RGrosjean, it must be time for an afternoon race simulation? Let's see what you've got."

13:24 Bottas and Grosjean are both on soft tyres and lapping in the 1m30s.

13:29 Bottas and Grosjean lapping very similarly , thought the Lotus has dropped off the last couple of laps.

13:31 Grosjean's laptimes jumped to the 1m33s but have been consistent since. Bottas is creeping up, his last lap was a 1m32.0s.

Thanks very much ! ;) Do you think it's a problem on the Lotus or a big performance of Williams ?

13:36 Grosjean pits now, and takes on mediums. Vettel's lapping in the 1m30s in the Ferrari. Bottas continues in the 1m32s.

13:45 Bottas pits after a 16-lap stint on soft tyres. His laptimes on lap 14 were what Grosjean fell to on lap seven. Fine work from the Williams.
http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/821

tomazy
tomazy

If you ask me, I think that Williams has a pace advatage in hand compared to Lotus. The fact that they started on equal pace, tells me that Lotus just cooked up the tires, and Williams was running a bit slower than the car potencial to preserve the tires.

AlainProst
AlainProst

tomazy wrote:If you ask me, I think that Williams has a pace advatage in hand compared to Lotus. The fact that they started on equal pace, tells me that Lotus just cooked up the tires, and Williams was running a bit slower than the car potencial to preserve the tires.
I think as you that the Williams wasn't at the top of their performance during the begining of the run unlike Lotus but they had the same times because the Williams is really better than the Lotus. Is it a real problem of premature tyre chafing on the Lotus ?

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

OO7
OO7

PlatinumZealot wrote:The size of the entrance and exits hurt the care more thsn the size of the radiator. In fact a bigger radiator in the same frontal cross section will have less drag. That is why redbull has such a slanted radiator at a low angle.
I understand what you mean PZ, but I don't think it is as clear cut as that. There are aerodynamic considerations other than drag e.g how suitable a profile is to the management of airflow for down force creation.

The point that I was trying to make is that going from larger exits to smaller ones, means you require less cooling. Essentially the team could have also maintained the larger exits but run smaller rads, however these variations to cooling do not consider the aerodynamic pros and cons associated with the differing solutions.

So Lotus appear to have the smallest cooling exits on the grid, however they may be running larger rads compared to other teams with smaller rads and larger exits?

OO7
OO7

ringo wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
but their radiators (and so are their side pods) are huuuuge and also those massive ducts around the roll hoop, cooling cooling cooling

I bet they will slim down their side ods during the season if the can afford it
Blaze1 wrote:That's one of the things I don't get. I would have expected larger exits, to accommodate the larger flow of air that the larger rads require.
No one said the radiators were larger. They simply have a simpler cooling system and remember this you cant compare last years renault cooling requirements to this years mercedes engine. Secondly if the sidepods are designed better internally, seeing as though there are less coolers with air to air, and also the engine may be better packaged, they can still be conservative with their cooling exists and be smaller than last years.
I understand, but my comparison was grid wide and focused primarily on the other Mercedes PU runners, including the Mercedes team.

Hail22

Thursday 12/03/2015:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

GM7

Look at the sidepods...AMC and Microsoft Dynamique arn't there :/