2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

I'd just like to see a cost cap on chassis and a cost cap on PU with some basic rules around number of wheels, safety and over all dimensions and let the team's go as crazy as they want.
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder

Seems like the bigger Diffusor is on the chopping Block for 2017, also the T-Tray could get shortened by 10cm. Don't know about the Bodywork width, i don't remember it being raised, but that could just be me. If it was, that could go aswell......

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... gn=Formel1

Edit: Looking through the Pictures it seems like the Bodywork hasn't been widened in the first Piola Pictures either, so i don't know why they make such a Fuss about it now.

Edit 2: But it shows once more that Pirelli is unable to build proper F1 Tires. calling for safety measurements as the load would be to high is just lame. Wonder how the Tire Manufacturers in 2004 dealt with that Problem. Seems to have been some kind of Dark Magic. :shock:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

Yeah that's pathetic, can we have a real tire OEM in F1 please?
"In downforce we trust"

Sevach
Sevach

So Mercedes and Pirelli want to block the large floor/sidepods and the bigger diffuser.
Instead we get a shorter T-Tray allowing for less front ride height.

The teams repackaging the pods would've been the most interesting design change in the proposed rules honestly, potentially a lot of non-wing related downforce there(always said to be the "good" kind when it comes to following)

Instead the floor and diffuser stay the same and the FW gets bigger and lower to the ground...

lio007

That's what we call in Austria a "Sauerei" ;-)

Sauerei = mess, scandal ;-)

Timstr
Timstr

BBC reporting on the 2017 rules:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35283404

dans79

It's all kind of as i expected it to be......

In short if they up the power & the downforce, several people including the manufacture don't think the tires as currently designed, could take it. I think this is probably 90% true, and %10 about Pirelli wanting to go to 17" or 18" rims.
197 104 103 7

djos

I call b.s. On Pirelli's claim, in the 80's with evil 1500 HP turbo's in qually trim the tires didn't fall apart, sure aero load is different but surely they can learn Howe to make a decent tire?

If not they need to go, I'm so sick of their Mickey mouse tires!
"In downforce we trust"

bhall II
bhall II

The development comes after world champions Mercedes raised concerns towards the end of last season about the 2017 rules, questioning whether the tyres would be able to cope with the increased loads.

Among other issues, Mercedes pointed out that current F1 cars are approaching historic highs in terms of downforce and power and that, if the sport pressed ahead, Pirelli would have to deal with loads to which no other racing tyre has ever been subjected.
Bullshit. The fastest lap of the 2005 Malaysian GP, for instance, was nearly seven seconds quicker than the fastest lap of the 2015 Malaysian GP, and it was set by a car equipped with V10 power, significantly more downforce, and (grooved) tires that were 43+ laps old.

A cynic might say the tire argument is just a red herring designed to protect those with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, especially since no one knows how the 2017 tires will be constructed...
A Pirelli spokesman said: "With the new tyre sizes proposed for 2017, we think the load capacity of a tyre built to the current construction would increase by about 10%. But nobody knows what structure we will choose for 2017 yet.

"Everything will be calculated much more carefully when we start testing."

matt21

At the moment F1 is going from pinnacle to pineapple of motorsports.
I would like to have another governing body proposing a new series. But this is just a wish I believe.

I would like to see a F1technical working group be established to devise a se of regulations for "our" F1.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

bhall II wrote: Bullshit. The fastest lap of the 2005 Malaysian GP, for instance, was nearly seven seconds quicker than the fastest lap of the 2015 Malaysian GP, and it was set by a car equipped with V10 power, significantly more downforce, and (grooved) tires that were 43+ laps old.
Very different rules though. Engines have to last considerably longer now which means they are protected as much as possible, much less fuel allowed so there is fuel saving, the tyres are designed to last a short time. I don't think we ever see an F1 car running properly flat out these days, sadly.

It's possible that today's cars are downforce demons but because the engine, tyre and fuel have to be protected, they never run at their true lap times. We've seen hints when the Mercedes suddenly found pace and left the rest for dead because they were actually racing each other. That suggests untapped potential in the current cars' downforce production.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Thunder

The Engine Manufacturers offer for the Engine Regs:
Price down to € 12m and the use of some standart Parts (Battery, MGU-K, MGU-H, maybe even the Turbo...). All this to keep the Engine Rules as they are now.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 60724.html

Let's wait for Bernie and Jean.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ME4ME

Can't stand the incompetence shown by Pirelli. Last summer Hembery said something along the lines of "if we can make tyres to safely land a plane, then surely we can make tyres for F1".

At this point I wish there'd be more tyre manufacturers in F1, which teams could freely choose from.
Sure it would open another can of worms, but i'm pretty fed up with the Pirelli saga as it is.

proteus

Instead of all those angled wings and parts, i would enjoy seeing this on the TV.

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

bauc

So Pirelli decided to share their findings with all of us after they singed the 3 years extension?!?!?! I guess this is payback time to Bernie & CO who keep them in dark for a long time before giving them the answer if they will be selected as the supplier again.

This is going from bad to worse .... :x
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg