Black Hole comparison (will blow your mind)

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
turbof1

Re: Black Hole comparison (will blow your mind)

To be honest I felt terrified by that 10 billion sun mass blackhole.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

turbof1 wrote:To be honest I felt terrified by that 10 billion sun mass blackhole.
20 billion :)

And that thing is just a speck in comparison to other "structures" in our universe.
Like the "Hercules–Corona Borealis Great Wall" which stretches about 10 billion light years across.
10% of the diameter of the observable universe.

We need to invent some kind of faster then light technology to even begin travelling around in this area from galaxy to galaxy.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

hollus

While you are at big structures: Cosmography of the Local Universe
Rivals, not enemies.

SiLo

basically we don't know sh*t about the universe. Just that it's very large and we are very small.

I was at the London Planetarium recently and saw the great visual representation of dark matter and how it is intertwined across the universe, very interesting. And also about a theory that its not everything expanding as we thought,but just that time is getting longer, making it appear that way.
Felipe Baby!

hollus

Unexplainium would be a much more accurate name than "dark matter", but it lavks the Darth Vader touch...
Rivals, not enemies.

SectorOne

Dark Energy is the really messed up thing, the universe doesn´t just expand, it´s accelerating.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Yeah, our dimensional awareness limitations are a bit of a bugger, currently..

But nevermind, the A-I 'singularity' will step up to work the problem - in due course..

Whether 'Skynet' then decides to keep certain humanoid-cyber hybrids as useful - we shall see..

Rationally of course, a culling of 'useless mouths' would be a likely outcome too..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

autogyro
autogyro

J.A.W. wrote:Yeah, our dimensional awareness limitations are a bit of a bugger, currently..

But nevermind, the A-I 'singularity' will step up to work the problem - in due course..

Whether 'Skynet' then decides to keep certain humanoid-cyber hybrids as useful - we shall see..

Rationally of course, a culling of 'useless mouths' would be a likely outcome too..
;-)

autogyro
autogyro

rich1701
rich1701

What I like is the concept that black holes in our universe are Big Bang flash points of other universes.

Shrieker

rich1701 wrote:What I like is the concept that black holes in our universe are Big Bang flash points of other universes.
In one of his speeches Lawrence Krauss mentioned that looking from the inside we observe the universe as expanding but looking from the outside it could be perceived as shrinking. Recent data suggests that the expansion rate is accelerating, which means the universe could be interpreted as infinitely big, or infinite. It could be said that we observe black holes as infinitely shrinking objects. Food for thought.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Seems it's matter 'breathing' inter-dimensionally via these monstrous gravity vortex whirl-pool sinks..

Long since proposed as a potential faster-than-light-speed data transfer/time portal..

Of course, an open honest time-travelling Prometheus - might - open that 'Pandora's box' - when ready..

Just be lucky that a radiation jet efflux from such - does not 'cross the stream' of our solar system's path..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

autogyro
autogyro

Or perhaps we can only 'see' our local part of space and electro magnetic energy distorts everything else allowing us to only 'see' that distortion.
A goldfish bowl from which we cannot see out but that which is outside can see in.

MadMatt
MadMatt

This kind of stuff is beyond any man's imagination. I mean, how can you even understand what the speed of light is (if you really think about it). Then thinking about something that has a mass this big, and powerful like that is just insane. These people talking about this stuff don't even slightly understand what is going on.

If someone is watching us, they must have laughed at them explaining (or rather not explaining) what we know about these black holes. The scope of discoveries to come is large, and I hope before I die we can understand better our universe.

Another topic would be Big Bang. Can you even imagine how it all started? Is it even possible that all the universe was contained in like an egg? That makes you feel like you are nothing. If you begin to understand how big all this is, you might start to feel sick because you realize we are NOTHING. Ego dissolution of some sort :)

notsofast
notsofast

MadMatt wrote:If someone is watching us, they must have laughed ...
Here's a sobering thought about those guys who are watching us.

To them, our big bang is nothing but a collision of elementary particles. Billions of years to us are like femtoseconds to them. They don't even know we exist.

And even if they did know, they would have to search through billions of those collisions to just find one that created the right physical constants to enable a universe with structure, let alone particles, let alone molecules, let alone life.