Black Hole comparison (will blow your mind)

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: Black Hole comparison (will blow your mind)

& yet it appears that if such an event can possibly occur.. ..then it - given time - must..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

notsofast
notsofast

That's why we're here to talk about it!

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Really?

Well, could be, - its certainly a likely by-product/side effect of that causality/improbability happenstance..

Unless, per Kurt Vonnegut's 'Sirens of Titan' we are in-fact, being actively manipulated..

.."not that's there's anything wrong with that" Matrix-wise.. ( if you are into monitoring micro-Mx, cosmic Overlord..)
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

autogyro
autogyro

Somehow those studying things always come back to intelligent thought and creation.
Comes from our consciousness and fear of dying I suppose.
Makes a fool of atheism, which turns out to be nothing more than a game of word semantics about the definition of the word god.

Rock on Tommy. that deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pin ball.

http://www.space.com/28681-theory-no-bi ... 7610706465

SectorOne

When you put god (or any other idea like the simulation argument) you simply move the the goal posts and end up with nothing.

People like to believe that a god did this because it´s an easy answer on the surface.
Dig deeper and you realize you just complicated the issue even further.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MadMatt
MadMatt

Why putting religion in this topic, we are talking about science here (or at least we are tying to).

Andres125sx

Talking about things difficult to understand, I realiced about something some time ago wich made me think.....

When you hear about planets where life, as we know it, might be possible, we know there are some planets around there where it may be possible, but we obviously didn´t see anything despite Hubble telescope, wich has some asthonising perfomance

Nothing weird here, the question is the closest planet with these conditions is 20 light years far, and that´s pretty close, usual measures are hundred of thousand light years far, if not millions light years far...

Imagine a planet wich is 500.000 light years far.... This means when we point hubble to that planet, what we see, the light wich is reaching Hubble, reflected on that planet 500.000 years ago, so we´re not seeing what´s going on on than planet right now, but what was going on 500.000 year ago :o

Basic and stupid, I know, buy you have to think about it to realice we can´t know what´s going on those planets right now. Maybe after that light we´re watching now reflected on the planet 500.000 years ago, life started, evolved, and today there´s a civilization living there, wich could be even more advanced than we are. What were we doing 500.000 years back? Collecting bananas....

There could be be a civilization a lot more advanced than ours on that planet, but we can´t see it because light does need 500.000 years to reach Earth

So basically we can´t know if there´s life on some planet around us. We can know if there was life some time ago, but not right now. Now I understand what I heard once about watching planets is like watching past, because it is, the further the planet is, the deeper in the past you´re watching, so actually a telescope as Hubble is some sort of time machine

Once you realice this, you realice space transport will never consist on moving fast, even if we discover some way to travel at light year speed, do we spend 20 years travelling at light year speed to go to the closest planet? Absurd. Wormholes is the only logical way I think

autogyro
autogyro

MadMatt wrote:Why putting religion in this topic, we are talking about science here (or at least we are tying to).
You can make a religion out of anything including science.
If you dont agree, prove to me that math was invented and not discovered.

SectorOne

Andres125sx wrote:Talking about things difficult to understand, I realiced about something some time ago wich made me think.....

When you hear about planets where life, as we know it, might be possible, we know there are some planets around there where it may be possible, but we obviously didn´t see anything despite Hubble telescope, wich has some asthonising perfomance

Nothing weird here, the question is the closest planet with these conditions is 20 light years far, and that´s pretty close, usual measures are hundred of thousand light years far, if not millions light years far...

Imagine a planet wich is 500.000 light years far.... This means when we point hubble to that planet, what we see, the light wich is reaching Hubble, reflected on that planet 500.000 years ago, so we´re not seeing what´s going on on than planet right now, but what was going on 500.000 year ago :o

Basic and stupid, I know, buy you have to think about it to realice we can´t know what´s going on those planets right now. Maybe after that light we´re watching now reflected on the planet 500.000 years ago, life started, evolved, and today there´s a civilization living there, wich could be even more advanced than we are. What were we doing 500.000 years back? Collecting bananas....

There could be be a civilization a lot more advanced than ours on that planet, but we can´t see it because light does need 500.000 years to reach Earth

So basically we can´t know if there´s life on some planet around us. We can know if there was life some time ago, but not right now. Now I understand what I heard once about watching planets is like watching past, because it is, the further the planet is, the deeper in the past you´re watching, so actually a telescope as Hubble is some sort of time machine

Once you realice this, you realice space transport will never consist on moving fast, even if we discover some way to travel at light year speed, do we spend 20 years travelling at light year speed to go to the closest planet? Absurd. Wormholes is the only logical way I think
Hubble telescope can´t directly view planets in other solar systems. The way they discover if there´s planets around stars is studying the star and looking for light-dips as the planet crosses our view.
That and the star you´re looking at will gently tug a little bit if there´s an object going around it.

But you´re right though, an advanced civilization with an ultra-advanced telescope that could see down to our earth from 65 million light years away would see dinosaurs walking around on the earth.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

autogyro wrote:If you dont agree, prove to me that math was invented and not discovered.
That makes no sense in the world. Say Math was discovered. Where´s the proof a god did it?

Science is not a religion by any means either.

autogyro
autogyro

SectorOne wrote:When you put god (or any other idea like the simulation argument) you simply move the the goal posts and end up with nothing.

People like to believe that a god did this because it´s an easy answer on the surface.
Dig deeper and you realize you just complicated the issue even further.
I presume from what you post that you believe that something 'did this'.
It does not matter what you call 'something'. if you give that something intelligence.

If math was discovered, it must have been created by something at least as clever as us.

Sector One, can you explain what this 'complicated issue' is that we are trying to understand.
Perhaps it is not the same issue to you as to others?

autogyro
autogyro

SectorOne wrote:
autogyro wrote:If you dont agree, prove to me that math was invented and not discovered.
That makes no sense in the world. Say Math was discovered. Where´s the proof a god did it?

Science is not a religion by any means either.
It depends on how you define 'god'.
Of course it is difficult to believe that the 'god' from the Bible or other man made gods mean much.
However the human use of the word god has mostly been to name something or things responsible for that which remains unexplained.
Just because science no longer uses the word god does not mean that some scientists dont continue to worship science as the answer to everything.
If math was discovered 'something' did it.
Science is a terrific tool to help humanity develop.
Perhaps it is not the only tool worth using.

SectorOne

autogyro wrote:I presume from what you post that you believe that something 'did this'.
How did you come up with that conclusion? If anything the opposite would have come from it.

That "something" did this would be your opinion, not mine.
autogyro wrote:It does not matter what you call 'something'. if you give that something intelligence.
Who created the intelligence for this "something" that supposedly created us?
Again...moving the goal posts.

autogyro wrote:If math was discovered, it must have been created by something at least as clever as us.
Notice how you combine the words discovered and created as if they are linked together.
autogyro wrote:Sector One, can you explain what this 'complicated issue' is that we are trying to understand.
Perhaps it is not the same issue to you as to others?
Explained higher up.

SectorOne

autogyro wrote:It depends on how you define 'god'.
Define it your way then.
How does the knowledge that math was discovered rather then invented prove a higher intelligence did it.
autogyro wrote:Just because science no longer uses the word god does not mean that some scientists dont continue to worship science as the answer to everything.
I can´t even make sense of this sentence.

autogyro wrote:If math was discovered 'something' did it.
Nope.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Andres125sx wrote:Talking about things difficult to understand, I realiced about something some time ago wich made me think.....

I disagree. We can see if there is life around us. It is just 500'000 years old, but it could (and would) be a lot different than us, so it doesn't matter. And still, we cannot really see details on planets we see, only their shape. Go find a half a meter radius square on a planet million miles away, it is impossible.

I think we are not alone (who think otherwise is mad), it is just that we haven't found them yet. With billion of galaxies containining million of solar systems with dozens of planets, there has to be at least one with life in it. If we did it, others did it as well. We cannot be the 1 out of 100'000'000'000'000'000'000'00'000, it is (close to) being statistically impossible.