Alonso's Crash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hattrick

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

A photographer’s eyewitness report has suggested that the way Alonso left the track was unusual in that he bounced along the grass, scraping the wall, for little apparent reason.
His car eventually came to rest on the approach to Turn 4, where marshals and medics quickly attended to him. Photographs of the scene showed him to be lying on the ground next to his car.
McLaren’s test had been blighted by problems with the MGU-K energy recovery system of its Honda power unit.
Source: Mystery swirls around Alonso incident

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Jordi Vidal: "Alonso has spent ten minutes in the car without moving"
Photographer, only witness who has immortalized the accident, account 'Formula SER' how was the inicidente Fernando
We know from the hand of Jordi Vidal every detail of that mysterious incident Fernando Alonso at the Circuit de Catalunya. Jordi Vidal, freelance photographer tells how it was and how the car has been off the track slowly. "When the doctor will have bumps in the hull and was not moving," Vidal explained in relation to most Worried case.
Photographer admits that the accident "has been rare" because the rate has been declining slowly "without losing control of the car", implying that track output has been controlled. Thus the version that Vettel has confirmed, that has called the situation "strange". Asked if he believed Alonso was able to be unconscious, Jordi indicates that there might be "dizzy".
Source: LINK
http://www.f1puls.com
Croatian F1 portal

mikeerfol

https://twitter.com/JensonButton/status ... 0338414592 Weird, I don't think 150 kph is classified as high speed.. :?:

Felipe 92

https://twitter.com/MFranco_AS/status/5 ... 2189607936 translated : @antena3com coworkers told that Alonso suffered an impact of 30G according to FIA sources

F1NAC

One question. Is it possible(I am not saying that this is cause) that electric shock could came through radio wiring from ers ofc?

mikeerfol

30G.. But Vettel said the speed was around 150 kph..

djos

mikeerfol wrote:30G.. But Vettel said the speed was around 150 kph..
You say that like it's only 10kph!
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

I think that sounds correct for the impact force. Kubica had around 75G when he crashed back in 2007.
#AeroFrodo

mikeerfol

Alonso Fan

Alonso's Crash

Alonso crashed between turn 3 and 4 today during testing on his 21st lap of running.
the impact wasn't that severe, suggesting that he wasn't doing that high speed when he hit the wall. he didn't hit the wall head on by the looks of it, and he only damaged the front wing and the right rear suspension. Vettel said that he was behind Alonso when it happened and Alonso seemed to strangely turn right at around 150kph, or 93.2mph, which is quite slow for that corner. And not a very high impact speed compared to other f1 crashes where people have walked away from.

so my question is

a) What caused the accident? we know that only mclaren, alonso, and the fia probably know this right now
b) if it was a small impact, why the need to be airlifted to hospital after the medical centre checkups were successful?
c) due to the small damage on the car which could (possibly) have been repaired in time for button to do some more testing, how come mclaren just decided to pack up early?

there are rumours (i dont agree with them, but they could be true) that alonso,
a) was feeling ill and fainted due to the illness,
b) he had an electric shock in the car which caused him to crash,
c) the car failed in some way which made veer to the right and hit the wall,
d) Alonso crashed on purpose to stop button testing the car (absolute nonsense, so we can disguard this one)

lets discuss 'a)'
fainting due to illness, very likely, taking a sustainied 3/4 G through turn 3 with illness is not good, let alone doing it for 20 laps. it also justifies why he was going slow (not pressing the throttle as he fainted) and veering to the right, as turn 3 is a right hander, he fainted in that position and then kept his hands in that position, and awakened after he crashed.
that also explains all the pieces of cloth sheild (alonso and every other driver has every right to privacy), and it also explains the immediate need for an air ambulance and swift CT scans for injury, and checkups.
What it does not explain is that why did button not get any time in the car? we have seen teams fix broken suspension from free practice 3 till qualifying. they had a full afternoon but decided against it. (unless the seal played up again of course)

ok, now lets discuss 'b)'
he had an electric shock which caused him to crash due to momentary paralysis. (his hands stayed stuck turning right and he couldn't move for a bit)
highly unlikely. first you have to be grounded to get an electric shock, as the charge wants to go to ground. Also, if he received it through the steering wheel, the steering wheel would have to be earthed. (not sure it is).
ok, for sake of argument, if we say that he did get an electric shock, that explains the ambulance, it explains the scans etc, and it also explains mclaren packing up early and button not running, due to them not wanting the same thing happening to him.

lets discuss 'c)'
the car failed in some way which made it veer to the right and hit the wall strangely.
if we look at this picture
{credit to bbc}

there is only 1 major skid mark. i was thinking that maybe the mclaren had a front right/rear right brake issue, which made the right tyres brake, and caused the car to veer to the right into the wall. alonso would be winded, or shocked to say the least, and precautionary medical checks would be conducted. it also explains why button didn't get to drive the car despite the minimal damage, as this is a fundemental problem.

there is no point discussing 'd)'

tell me what you guys think, and if i'm correct or if i've made mistakes, feel free to correct me

:)

#ForzaAlonso

Edit: alonso suffered concussion during the crash and passed out in the crash. (hence the ambulance and hospital trip)
he regained consciousness and spoke to doctors.

mclaren are being quite cagey about it (and rightfully so) and it seems to me they're hiding the fact that a car problem caused the crash. (just my opinion, could be correct or incorrect, only time will tell).

They also lied to us about the 'fact' that alonso had no injury. concussion is one of the worst types of injury if it happens in a certain way. jules bianchi, michael schumacher and felipe massa, to name a few, all suffered concussion. (as far as i know)

sky sports reported:
'Suggestions that Alonso may have suffered an electrical shock while at the wheel of the MP4-30 have been discounted while McLaren themselves have dismissed claims that their driver fainted.'

so mclaren also lied to us when they said he hadn't fainted. (yes he may have not fainted before the accident but he did during the accident)

#ForzaAlonso!
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 23 Feb 2015, 00:54, edited 2 times in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Mesteño

Re: Alonso's Crash

I don't know, but what I don't believe is what they are talking, for the reasons you explained.

Alonso Fan

Mesteño wrote:I don't know, but what I don't believe is what they are talking, for the reasons you explained.
I agree
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

bigblue

Alonso Fan wrote:so mclaren also lied to us when they said he hadn't fainted. (yes he may have not fainted before the accident but he did during the accident)
#ForzaAlonso!
This isn't the X-Files ! Clearly they are referring to suggestions of the cause of the accident here.

Alonso Fan

bigblue wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:so mclaren also lied to us when they said he hadn't fainted. (yes he may have not fainted before the accident but he did during the accident)
#ForzaAlonso!
This isn't the X-Files ! Clearly they are referring to suggestions of the cause of the accident here.
True, I probably misread that one
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

It is possible. Remember in Abu Dhabi one race Alonso had a 28g impact on a kerb bump
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

turbof1

Moved the same discussion from the test thread to here.

I'd like to request in a friendly matter to keep it a bit easy with speculating. McLaren is probably investigating the matter itself and doesn't want to answer too soon, either in respect for Alonso and/or because they have not completely figured it out yet. Rest assured they will bring clarity in the following days!

Also Tedt Kravitz basically ruled an electric shock; the cars, and electric systems, are grounded.
#AeroFrodo