Force India VJM08 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
weirdlife
weirdlife

Re: Force India VJM08

The way I look at it is that this is a similar version to what Sauber have, the only difference is that Force india have a closed solution on the tip of the nose which end up looking like nostrils vs Sauber who have an open tip creating platypus type nose...

Samraj_official

its not only the nose that engine cover looks very interesting too.....lets wait for the silverstone upgrade thats yet to come!!!!
Btw innovative nose FI =D>

Thunder

Some Pictures from Today by AMuS:

You really see on the Front Wings where the Red Bull Aero guys went.... :D First McLaren and now FI.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Samraj_official

complete copy of Redbull but how? did FI hire RB guys?

Thunder

Samraj_official wrote:complete copy of Redbull but how? did FI hire RB guys?
Yes, that "Guru" guy.....

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ru#p565484
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

multisync
multisync

Thunders wrote:

He was RB's rear end guy. I was told his name but promptly forgot (hence why I didn't post it on that thread)

Samraj_official

Thunders wrote:

OK.ok ..seems very interesting especially those nostrils Silverstone team always seemed without any brilliant ideas but they are starting to show some new improvements in design :)

multisync
multisync

Probably the biggest difference was the newer spec engines they got in Austria as they have always been at least 2 gens behind Mercedes.

weirdlife
weirdlife

I am not sure if they have introduced the new chassis that they were suppose too...I read an article which BoB Fernley mentioned that some parts are in progress like a new floor and a lighter monocoque section... I would also assume that with a new front update the diffuser would need to be tweaked to complete the package.

PlatinumZealot

Impressive and surprising!

Force India are really stepping up their game. I am sort of wishing deep down that the car is as fast as the Ferrari :mrgreen:

Anyways... I am trying to see how the nose is legal. As some one posted they could possibly be passing the holes off as part of the pylons.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy
astracrazy

the only way, surely?

Samraj_official

astracrazy wrote:the only way, surely?
what way?

McMrocks
McMrocks

An impact absorbing structure must be fitted in front of the survival cell. This structure need not be an integral part of the survival cell but must be solidly attached to it and be arranged symmetrically about the car centre line.
No part of this structure may lie more than 525mm above the reference plane and its forward-most point must not be less than 850mm forward of the front wheel centre line.
It must have :
a) A single external vertical cross-section, perpendicular to the car centre line, of more than 9000mm² at a point 50mm behind its forward-most point. No part of this cross-section may lie less than 135mm above the reference plane and its overall width must not exceed 140mm.
b) A single external vertical cross-section, perpendicular to the car centre line, of more than 20000mm² at a point 150mm behind its forward-most point. The overall width of this cross-section must not exceed 330mm.
When measuring these sections, only parts between the highest point of the section and 100mm vertically below this point, may be considered.
Each external vertical cross-section, taken perpendicular to the car centre line between points 150mm behind the forward-most point of the structure and 150mm forward of the front wheel centre line, must be a single section with an area which exceeds a value given by a linear taper from 20000mm² to 60000mm² respectively.
Furthermore, all lines drawn normally and externally to a vertical cross-section taken 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line and perpendicular to the car centre line, must not cross a vertical longitudinal plane lying on the car centre line.
Not sure if it is legal but at least the outer edges of the nostrils don't count to the minimum cross section. The 9000mm² and 20000mm² need to be one single cross section (not sure how they manage to reach the area required)

Not sure how they manage to avoid breaking the red part. I guess the nostrils end 15cm behind the nose tip?

McMrocks
McMrocks

matt21

McMrocks wrote: Not sure if it is legal but at least the outer edges of the nostrils don't count to the minimum cross section. The 9000mm² and 20000mm² need to be one single cross section (not sure how they manage to reach the area required)

Not sure how they manage to avoid breaking the red part. I guess the nostrils end 15cm behind the nose tip?
IMO the outer part of the nostrils don´t belong to the crash structure you´re referring to.
To me it looks more, as they are part of the vanity panel.