Audi diesel racer

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Audi diesel racer

Audi just unveiled a brand new endurance car, but with a V-12 diesel engine. They raced this weekend at Sebring as a tune-up for LeMans, and won.
Keep an eye out for the new Audi R10

Tom

Its been an on going thing for about 5 month now.

I read McNish's comments on it, and although he said it was fast he didn't think it would win Sebring.

Shows what he knows.

McNish actually only lived 10Km from here.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

joseff

I don't have the rules and specs handy, but there must be some compelling reason (bigger restrictor?) to move from a V8 to V12, regardless of ignition system. I mean, imagine the weight increase!

IIRC in '04 a new restrictor rule was introduced to handicap the turbo V8's used by the R8's. And they still won.

walter
walter

scroll down for info on the car.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsdec05.html

the key benefit of the diesel is the increased fuel economy and the massive amounts of torque. This Audi thinks outweights the disadvantages especially at 24 hours of Le Mans where less stops and probably an increase in top speed on the straights will give them a win again

the only thing that may stop them is the new rule that restricts transmission changes durinng the race. They got a brand new transmission too.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Incredible amounts of torque from this engine. They are able to use a 5 speed transmission, which prolongs reliability, and saves some weight.
The new rules require that only the damaged component may be changed, where in the past they used to change the entire mechanicals from the rear of the engine, in something less than five minutes.

m3_lover

I was reading in this month's Car and Driver, and it says that they used the 5 speed tranny, but the wieght of all the components are much heavier because of all the torque, and that they still could not increase the rev range of the engine, it still has the tendency's of a diesel engine.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

West
West

They won the 12 Hours of Sebring on Saturday. One of the cars didn't make it, however. It is much quieter than the old car and was reportedly 1.5-2 sec faster than the 2002 car.

The car is also only stated to save gas on full throttle; at partial throttle it eats a lot of it.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Spencifer_Murphy

I thought it was a deseil V10?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

West
West

It is a 5.5 liter V12.

I think Speed TV mentioned TDi stands for "turbo diesel injection." I think it is turbo direct injection.

The car also incorporates Shell's GTL (gas to liquid technology).
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

m3_lover

Peugeot was planning to introduce there own Diesel Racer in 2007, Audi upstaged them there.

90 degree 5.5 litre aluminum TDI V-12, twin pair of Garrett Turbo's, air to liqud intercoolers
The maximum boost is 27 psi (2.94 bar)
:shock:

The combustion reside that emerge's will be deal with particulate traps (black smoke)
No Throttles since it is a diesel
isn't 60 degrees the best way for smooth operation?
It weights about 580 pounds, more then 50 percent more then the R8 engine
Over 600 hp and over 811 pd ft of torque
I think Diesel Gas weighs more then regular gas?
I think diesel efficiency advantage is greatest at part throttle?
West is correct that it will save gas at full throttle, two laps per 90 litre refill
I know now that they have the wooden planks like F1 and that the drivers now have air conditioning units in the car

Side note- I think in 1998 a BMW 320d won the Nurburgring 24 hour rac
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

Can it run on chip fat?
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

The move to a V12 according to Audi was the bearing load on the crank bearing was too great and V12 was the only way they can get it to work. The engine is all aluminum, and supposedly if this were a V8, would weight the same as R8's engine. Under the diesel rule they are also allowed to run variable geometry turbine blades for the Turbo....not allowed for gas engine. The tranny was changed from the 6 speed Ricardo(ironically building their own diesel V10) to a 5 speed X-trac. The new gearbox is lighter than the R8 unit(design dates back to 1998/1999's R8R), despite the need to cope with the 800lb-ft+ of torque and the use of a aluminum casing rather than magnesium. Audi sport have to upgrade their dyno to cope with the new engine....

They got one of THE coolest promo vid for the car...

http://download.audi.com.edgesuite.net/ ... gh_cbr.zip
Last edited by RacingManiac on 20 Mar 2006, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote:Can it run on chip fat?
:mrgreen:

Tom

Hey, at 60p/L it would be the first thing I'd find out!
:D

m3_lover

Racing maniac is right that A v-8 would have been lighter and smaller, but the 12 cylinder design was chosen because the smaller pistons, with their smaller crowns, would be more likely to survive 24 hours of compression ignition in racing conditions without problems, and I just found out that it is 90 degrees because of packaging reasons.