Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
jure
jure

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Pierce89 wrote:
jure wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: You seriously believe in his "sources"? Just asking, because at f1t we generally appreciate a legitimate quotable source much more than your cousin's boyfriend's sister's uncle's son. Just saying.
Are you being forced to believe anybody? I can decide for myself whether to believe him or not , can't you too? Do you know him, do you know he's lying or why are you discrediting him? We all know such information rarely come from legitimate source because teams try to protect such information. I rather have doubtful information, than no information, because I can think about it and decide weather is rubbish or not.
Fine with me. Believe what you want. He also insisted the Interlagos upgrade was really a performance improvement even though it consistently showed lower trap speeds
Well he also claimed Brasil spec (D spec) has lots of potential. And guess what, Renault is running further developed D-spec. I don't know what you are after, but I'm not after raw numbers, but more like, what's coming, what kind of things to expect,.. I would really not look much into Brasil upgrade, since Renault themselves said they learnt a lot from Brasil upgrade. Beside, we already figured out that pre spinning the turbo is an important factor for combustion at low rev,... RB did not run the new turbo at Brasil. It makes sense that they didn't see much perf upgrade.

godlameroso

In the long run it doesn't matter to us because we don't build the cars, but people who build the cars come here or there for various reasons. Having a good BS filter should be a pre-requisite for life, it's a skill we don't encourage for obvious reasons.

*Maybe it's a big deal because of the betting money involved?
Saishū kōnā

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

jure wrote:@ReoPTy
Do you have any data from your sources about how much power did Renault finally gain and at what rpm (just so we get a feeling what kind of upgrade this was). And I would also be very interested in where do they stand in comparison to Mercedes/Ferrari? Is Renault also developing the so called hcci engine (like Ferrari supposedly is)? Just tells us whatever you can, I'm really very curious :mrgreen:

hi, no sources or clues about new PU yet!

sorry , Taffin and Cyril wood tongues only.

gandharva

Renault says Red Bull finally positive about its Formula 1 engine
"Frankly, they (RBR) were responsible for designing and producing a number of parts last season that turned out to be a complete headache.
Does anyone know about what parts Cyril is talking here?

godlameroso

"When we agreed to continue the collaboration with Red Bull, frankly, as far as I'm concerned, I believed it to be a good thing for Renault, and maybe it will turn out to be a good thing for Red Bull," assessed Abiteboul.

"One of the fundamental, key principles on which we agreed is that 'You do the chassis, and you do it very well. Let us do the engine'.

"We've been doing that fairly well over the past few decades. We've had a blip, but that doesn't mean that suddenly you should get involved in that. We tried that. We failed.

"Frankly, they were responsible for designing and producing a number of parts last season that turned out to be a complete headache.

"It was a mistake to let that happen, and also my mistake to let that happen.

"There was an attempt to build some bridges with Red Bull. It was not delivered, so now everyone is back doing their own thing."

Quotes from a recent Autosport article.

Curious, maybe something to do with "garage 9"?
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

Renault brings F1 engine upgrades to Australian Grand Prix
Renault managing director Cyril Abiteboul said: "There is new stuff on the engine, first and foremost, to make it perform a bit better, a bit more power, but also much more reliable.

"Touch wood I hope that is what we see over the weekend."

Recalling the disastrous start to last season, Abiteboul added: "I'm smiling now because last year, after flying to Melbourne I switched on my mobile phone and I saw a text from [Red Bull team principal] Christian Horner.

"He said that after 46 kilometres they had broken an engine.

"That's the sort of thing I don't want to see us reproducing, so reliability is the big, big target for this weekend.

"We will also have the capacity to extract all the performance that is available in the engine, something we were not in a position to do last year for a number of reasons, which were both hardware and software related.

"So there should be more performance to come, and also more reliability."
-Autosport

dragosmp
dragosmp

gandharva wrote:Renault says Red Bull finally positive about its Formula 1 engine
"Frankly, they (RBR) were responsible for designing and producing a number of parts last season that turned out to be a complete headache.
Anything that ties the motor to the chassis and even some active parts of the PU. The screwup in Melbourne 2015 was as much RB's as it was Renault's. If you remember the "boxing gloves" tweet from Cyril, it made quite a few Renault folks smile. The scandal after Ric's motor expired could have been completely avoided if RB kept their end of the bargain. Some put it like that "what if you need to assemble and test a plane, you're responsible for it working, but the wings come late just before the test flight? And the wing supplier happens to be the client?"

PlatinumZealot

gandharva wrote:Renault says Red Bull finally positive about its Formula 1 engine
They had different exhaust, different coolers and different air-box I think.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

carisi2k

I wonder if Red Bull will have this engine spec or if they will test it on their dyno rig first to see how reliable it is before putting it into action around Spain.

The other option is to bring it to Bahrain if it proves more powerful and reliable and keep the Aus GP engine spare for Friday FP1 sessions.

gandharva

GPR-A duplicate2

Engine tokens spent
Ferrari 23 (9 remaining)
Honda 18 (14 remaining)
Mercedes 19 (13 remaining)
Renault 7 (25 remaining)

jure
jure

GPR-A wrote:Engine tokens spent
Ferrari 23 (9 remaining)
Honda 18 (14 remaining)
Mercedes 19 (13 remaining)
Renault 7 (25 remaining)
Good news, but kind of expected after they spent 10 tokens at the end of last season. They probably changed combustion chamber and maybe mgu-h. They spent tokens on the new turbo already last year.

Blackout

Some never seen before shots on the 2014 PU, turbo assembly, Kers etc http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Vide ... 01279.html
it seems only the right bank exhausts had a wastegate...

carisi2k

look how tight that packaging is.

Looks like Renault have been trying to fine tune the Brazil upgrade with the use of so few tokens. I wonder if those 7 tokens were spent on the areas that were frozen until recently.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Blackout wrote:it seems only the right bank exhausts had a wastegate...
Surprising if so. Engine in video doesn't seem to have wastegates fitted. There is a blanking plate? on the right bank.
je suis charlie