2015 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

I agree with kooler, Hamilton's in a real strong position to dictate the terms of his contract, and as things stand, Merc. can't afford to lose him.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard
Richard

Phil wrote:
SparkyAMG wrote:Somebody alluded to Ferrari highlighting Kimi for the best strategy prior to the race and using Vettel as a decoy. I don't think this was done deliberately in Bahrain, but I do think it's Ferrari's best chance of results for the short term.
I agree. Vettels tyres started to drop earlier relative to the Mercedes, so at that point, it was clear that the Ferrari wouldn't be able to go longer than the Merc on either stint and gain an advantage there. So the logical move was to try an undercut which worked great. Doing so with both drivers would have only made things complicated for themselves, as both Kimi and Vettel would be fighting among themselves instead of challenging the Merc. Getting Kimi on an alternative strategy was brilliant, as it put him into clean air and because Merc were occupied covering Vettel, they stayed on the OOP strategy making Kimi's even more effective.
Lets be honest about it, Ferarri had the luxury of running two separate strategies because they had nothing to lose because everyone expects a Merc 1-2. So they lined it up as a 2 against one situation, if Merc defended against one (Vettel as it happens) then the other would gain (ie Kimi). It's just the same as Alonso v Vettel/Webber in Abu Dhabi 2010.

One important lesson is that this shows Ferrari were putting two against one to pick off Rosberg. It shows their priority is to gang up on the second Merc car. If this continues then it will be daunting for Merc's second placed car knowing that Ferrari will try an early undercut to draw you into a dogfight, and the second Ferrari will be on a different strategy give you another dogfight later on. Meanwhile the leading Merc car knows they'll have clear run because Ferrari and the other Merc are caught up in dogfights.

Mandrake
Mandrake

I don't think they only went for one Mercedes. Raikkonen lost a bit too much time in the first stint, which made him suffer in the end.

According to AMuS it was colder temps + changing wind that played into Mercs hands at the expense of Ferrari. With temps being level with FP2, it could have looked different, also for Vettel who was fighting with too little traction at the rear as opposed to Saturday in Quali.

dans79

Some members of this forum are going to absolutely hate this!
197 104 103 7

ferkan
ferkan

I dont think it was artificial, in terms of race pace they clearly couldnt go much faster. They had to save tires,fuel and breaks several times during the race, but it was probably most prominent in middle of it so Ferrari cought up. Its pretty clear Merc has race pace advantage of atleast ~2 tenths, and their quali mode that they can use for few laps gives thek ability to easily overtake Ferraris so without proper strategy and tire advantafe they are pretty much unbeatable until new chassis and PU updates for Ferrari come (they have to work though)
Last edited by ferkan on 20 Apr 2015, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

evered7
evered7

dans79 wrote:
He says they were probably managing the tires a bit more in the second stint. But according to Merc fans here, they had absolutely no reason to worry about tire wear. So they lapped slower than necessary and just gifted second place to Kimi because they were tired of 1-2?

Considering it is very early in the season, wonder how Rosberg feels about his team deliberately hurting his chances and asking him to gift the spot to a Ferrari. Lewis also obliged by conceding a win as well.

Either Mercs have a bunch of novices in the paddock or they were genuinely worried about tire wear to lap slower than optimum to save tires and prolong the stint.

I would have understood if they did that last year with a massive advantage they had over others. But to do it this year when Ferrari are close and with in-season development as well with regards to the PU, would be a massive disaster.

I think they simply underestimated the advantage Ferrari or in particular Kimi had in the second & third stint and paid the price for it with a lost second place.

dans79

evered7 wrote: So they lapped slower than necessary and just gifted second place to Kimi because they were tired of 1-2?
Kimi getting by, was down to the brake issues, not a gift. If it hadn't been for the break issues, I think Kimi would have had the same problem vettel did with Bottas, able to get right up to the gear box, but not able to pass.
evered7 wrote: Either Mercs have a bunch of novices in the paddock or they were genuinely worried about tire wear to lap slower than optimum to save tires and prolong the stint.
They want as many WCC points as possible, and to a lesser extent as many wins as possible, and then as many 1-2 as possible.

Lewis is a win clear of Nico in the WDC, and Merc is 2 wins clear of Ferrari in the WCC.

evered7 wrote: I would have understood if they did that last year with a massive advantage they had over others. But to do it this year when Ferrari are close and with in-season development as well with regards to the PU, would be a massive disaster.
Something you might want to consider is that both Ferrari's are already on the second ICE. If I was Merc I would block a 5th engine, as I get the feeling Ferrari is banking on it going through.

evered7 wrote: I think they simply underestimated the advantage Ferrari or in particular Kimi had in the second & third stint and paid the price for it with a lost second place.
I would say most of the grid got the strategy wrong, and Kimi lucked into the alternate strategy (that ended up being the best one), as he was the second Ferrari.
197 104 103 7

ferkan
ferkan

As far as ICE goes Ferrari already confirmed there is no problem with engine block, but that it was actually scheduled to be replaced in Bahrain. Why? Probably because if they went with 1 ICE every 4 races that would mean that they would have to update it in Barcelona, or after Canada (power track) with their 3rd PU.

This way they will go through the Bahrain, Barcelona and Monaco with old spec ICE because its probably better to have month and a half of develpment more then prematurely introduce it in Barcelona which they wouldnt be able to capitalize on better PU as much since its more aero dependent track.

The way its going Merc will either spend tokens in Barcelona, or they will spend it after Canada. If they spend it in Barcelona they have less time to develope the parts, if they introduce them after Canada they might already have two races behind them that they dropped points that maybe they shouldnt have dropped.

Its bound to be interesting the months ahead no doubt.

evered7
evered7

dans79 wrote:
Kimi getting by, was down to the brake issues, not a gift. If it hadn't been for the break issues, I think Kimi would have had the same problem vettel did with Bottas, able to get right up to the gear box, but not able to pass.
They want as many WCC points as possible, and to a lesser extent as many wins as possible, and then as many 1-2 as possible.
Lewis is a win clear of Nico in the WDC, and Merc is 2 wins clear of Ferrari in the WCC.
Something you might want to consider is that both Ferrari's are already on the second ICE. If I was Merc I would block a 5th engine, as I get the feeling Ferrari is banking on it going through.
I would say most of the grid got the strategy wrong, and Kimi lucked into the alternate strategy (that ended up being the best one), as he was the second Ferrari.
The brake issues were not random but happened due to a setup change post FP2. Didn't most Merc fans tell about the changes that Mercedes did to their cars post FP2 that would allow them to lap faster? Something must have gone wrong then.

Ferrari are on the second ICE but there is no mention that they have a problem with the first one. They can readily use it at another circuit where the demands on the ICE is less.

Kimi didn't luck into the strategy. Maldonado was showing everyone that there was pace on the medium tires very early in the race and Kimi was able to take the mediums and lap it as fast as the soft runner while going further than them. Also they would have run the tires in FP2 to understand how it works. Matter of application I would say.

Mercedes may be ahead now after 4 races but there are plenty more to come and I am sure they are not able to see the future as to let the current advantage slide. They will look to maximise every advantage they have and clearly they haven't got enough like last year.

Andres125sx

motobaleno wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Have you ever seen any driver going too long on a braking without locking up his tires?
dozen of times
and vettel just in this race :lol:
Not on a braking, he went long because of being too optimistic when releasing the brakes... or hitting the throttle, but anycase not comparable :roll:

dans79

evered7 wrote:
The brake issues were not random but happened due to a setup change post FP2. Didn't most Merc fans tell about the changes that Mercedes did to their cars post FP2 that would allow them to lap faster? Something must have gone wrong then.
What went wrong, was that the brakes overheated going through the back markers, and this pushed the break by wire system in a fault mode. This means they had no engine breaking (for lack of a better term), and thus a lot less breaking power.

evered7 wrote: Ferrari are on the second ICE but there is no mention that they have a problem with the first one. They can readily use it at another circuit where the demands on the ICE is less.
Yes and no, if they change the spec by introducing an upgrade, they can no longer use it, as it won't be the same spec. I'm not sure if it applies to practice, but it definitely does for the race. In other words, it behooves every team to push every component to the absolute limit, so they can delay using a new one as long as possible.
197 104 103 7

giantfan10
giantfan10

SparkyAMG wrote:Somebody alluded to Ferrari highlighting Kimi for the best strategy prior to the race and using Vettel as a decoy. I don't think this was done deliberately in Bahrain, but I do think it's Ferrari's best chance of results for the short term.

Merc are obviously concerned with covering whatever Ferrari do with their lead car, which I think is all they need to do at this stage. They've shown that their tyre wear isn't as bad as everyone first thought and can go as short / long as Ferrari dictate. I don't think Ferrari will ever win under normal circumstances using this strategy as I still don't think the lead Merc is really pushing as hard as it could, but if they can keep splitting them like in Bahrain then they'll be first in line to pick up on DNFs.

What's also interesting is the difference between the Merc and Ferrari engines. I think their race modes have a similar amount of usable Power (ie lap after lap), but the Merc engine can go into God mode for a lap or two (ie qualy and for overtakes/defending), which is why Rosberg caught and passed the Ferrari's so easily. Merc seem to have better traction out of corners too. Ferrari are almost there, but not quite.
Rosberg had DRs for all of his passes except the last one where vettel ran off track and handed him the place.
Mercedes tire wear wasnt at bad at this race because they changed something on their car after FP3 which in turn was the reason for the brake issues in the race..... everything is not as simple and straightforward as you think.

evered7
evered7

dans79 wrote:
What went wrong, was that the brakes overheated going through the back markers, and this pushed the break by wire system in a fault mode. This means they had no engine breaking (for lack of a better term), and thus a lot less breaking power.
This is the quote from Wolff himself "It's set-up issues," said Wolff. "We knew the changes we made on the car were compromising a little bit brake temperatures, so we knew what we were doing.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/set-u ... ke-issues/

dans79 wrote:Yes and no, if they change the spec by introducing an upgrade, they can no longer use it, as it won't be the same spec. I'm not sure if it applies to practice, but it definitely does for the race. In other words, it behooves every team to push every component to the absolute limit, so they can delay using a new one as long as possible.
If there is one thing Ferrari got it right in the recent years, it is the reliability of the components. I am not sure how they are going to juggle the remaining allocations of the ICE but they seem not too much flustered by the situation as the other teams on the grid like Renault or Honda.

giantfan10
giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
why would some members hate this? vettel isnt saying anything groundbreaking..... in the middle stint mercedes were managing their tires.... and this is news why? any team thats out front manages their tires and drives as slowly as possible to maintain the lead.

Andres125sx

MarkedOne8 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Have you ever seen any driver going too long on a braking without locking up his tires?
I did. If you sense you are going to have a lock up, it's better to decrease the pressure on the pedal and avoid lock up otherwise you will just damage your tyre without any benefit. Longer braking without lock up -> longer braking with lock up.
Andres125sx wrote:He had brake issues, it´s obvious
No one is denying Merc' brake problems. Anyway, RAI had good enough pace to overtake ROS. It was just matter of time.
Yes, Windwaves was and I was replying to him
windwaves wrote:man, of course the team will defend their drivers. Of course it was yet another crucial mistake at a crucial time.
Anycase your argument is a beautiful armchair argument, but when you´re on track it´s not a matter of feeling you´re going to lock up the brakes, but feeling you hit the brakes too late and you´re going long. Then your instinctively apply a bit more pressure on the brakes, and no, this is not useless, locking up the brakes you slow down faster... ruining your tires obviously, but when you know you´re going too long you´re not thinking about your tires but about avoiding the wall/gravel

Profesional drivers obviously master this and usually avoid too long lock ups, but even so when you go too long a little lock up is common because you need all the braking force you can get

Rosberg didn´t lock up not even slightly, moreover he didn´t even try to take the corner, he went straight out. That´s not usual, I´d bet an arm he had a braking problem. And I´m critizining Rosberg daily, IMHO he does not deserve such a good car, but here I´m completely sure he didn´t make a mistake, it was a brake problem
MarkedOne8 wrote:The chances for beating Lewis this year are little to none, but why not next year? Alonso is not the person who should regret the decison. In my opinion, Ferrari as a family/franchise should be regreting why they didn't get rid of old office earlier. Anything between Todt and Arrivabene eras is black spot in history of Ferrari. Alonso is good and fast driver but political cancer.
Political cancer? #-o

I wonder how many top drivers driving such a slow car as he did last season, and the previous one, and previous, and previous... would have been as politically correct as he´s been the five seasons he was driving for them. He never blamed the team for being unable to fight on equal conditions with fastest car, RBR or Mercedes, he was always positive about every car and season

If you disagree, please provide some quote from Alonso to support your statement

And yes maybe next season they will fight for the championship.... or maybe they´ll continue the same. After 5 seasons buying Ferrari´s promises it was enough

McLaren-Honda looked like a more promising project, right now it doesn´t look like a correct choice, but we will see at the end of the season what team has more chances for next season, I can´t rely on Ferrari too much, they´ve been winning some races most seasons, but never enough to fight for the championship. This season looks like more of the same