New rules for have a real F1 spirit

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bernif2003
bernif2003

I think that F1 car is a car no? It is not a plane, it dosn't flys, it goes on the track. For this reason i thinck that the actual rules, and the rules wich are coming for 2004 season are not so good.
I have thought in some rules to improve the F1 performance and to rescuere its real spirit. What does you think about?

550 kg---> to reduce the amoung of ballast they run
3500 cc--> to make the cars more spectaculars and more exiting races, like moto gp.
Rear wing--> only a rear wing with 2 wings
2000 mm --> set the car's wide to 2000 mm, to improve the mecanical grip
Allow the slik tyres
Shark noses--> ban the shark noses type, and obligate to run with a old type down noses-> it reduces the influence of difuser
Ban all the electronical aids!!

felipezsc
felipezsc

I so agree with you except the shark nose idea. That nose has become such a part of F1 that it wouldnt be the same without that nose.

joseff

3.5l V8? Less revs = less blowups = less cost

Then again F1 being F1, they'd try and bring the V8 to 20000rpm :D

I'd rather go with the "formula none" proposal... or how about defining an F1 car as "LMP900 with exposed wheels"

Then set the minimum cockpit dimensions for safety

And see Gordon Murray's return to F1 :)

Steven
Owner

Well the FIA gets a lot of critics above its head because the regulations decrease the possibility of overtaking.
There are however 2 serious problems with 'creating' regulations.
First of all, nobody wants F1 not anymore be 'the pinnacle of motorsports'. Therefore banning all electronic aids and technological inventions is quite difficult. I think however that launch control should be banned.
On the other hand, it is difficult for the FIA to allow more, because the chances are they underestimate the advantages that can be gained by the teams. Suppose they introduce slicks (which I want to also), and they expect the cars to go 1sec faster, then suddenly at introduction it would decrease laptimes by 5 secs. What would the FIA do then, because higher speeds are not what the FIA wants at the moment. :?
Actually it is not what I want either, but I do think some regulations can be loosened a little... :idea:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well.....I'd say....new rules.....I'd leave the engines at 3000c.c......I'd bring the weight down to 550kg like you....the rear wing I'd also make a 2 elemente rear wing but I'd reduce it's width.....I'd ban electronic aids....I'd also increase the maximum width of the car to 2000mm.....SLICKS BACK!!!! hehehehehe

But in terms of the nose cone I'd keep the shark noses......and instead of changing the rules for the nose cone I'd change the rule for the difuser!!!!

BAN TESTING!!!!!! hehehee.....do what Jordan, Renault and Minardi are doing....hehehehe

I'll post back in a couple of days explaning why I wrote what I just wrote.....cause I'm not at home and the person sitting beside me wants to use the computer!

Mclaren11
Mclaren11

First of all F1 is the forefront of automotive technology, most of the proposed rules try to control that technology.

Second I think that rather than have a lot of rules the F.I.A. should just limit the amount of spending a team can have Designing, bulding, and developing the cars. This would not only make for better and more unique cars, but it would also help the "little guys" like Minardi and Jordan because the difference in spending between the big and little teams would be diminished.

dlm75
dlm75

I really can't tell exactly what changes are needed, but whatever makes the cars easier (or possible at all) to overtake should be enough so far.

Electronic aids such as traction control, automatic launch should be banned.

Limit the expenses, not a good idea. And I assume that enforce a limit in spending would be a major headache, it simply won't work.

By the way, the shark nose looks great! And Bernie should be glad there are so many of us who actually love and care about F1 enough to sit down and express our concerns.

akbar21881
akbar21881

does anyone think current f1 format is boring. the race is, yes, no doubt, is very interesting. but friday and saturday qualifying are sooooooo boring. apart from rules change regarding cars we should also revise the race format it self.

I think the f1 car tech development has reached its peak and i needs a total rules change to spice up things again. we need to change the car completely so that everyone could start from the beginning.

powerful_paji
powerful_paji

:shock: Well it certainly depends on how you look at it... Up till last year most cars would come out in the last 40 minutes of qualifying... so for the first 20 or so minutes the only cars you could see were actually minardis who had troubles getting into 107% time!

In France we saw a Minardi (though desisively) on provisional pole position!

It also shows who is the best driver / best car / best setups for example it is now we are realising how good DC actually is... Just how many times thi year has he started P10 - P11 and made his way to the podium! :!:

I certainly think it is very interesting with all the new rule changes... :P

drspeed
drspeed

If they restrict the weight of the car and the output of the engine as in WRC, it might be a closer race with less cost. With these restrictions, there's really no point to invest for more power and low weight. It's the engines that cost the most after all, isn't it? So how about 20,000rpm, 1000bhp, and 600kgs in 2005? 8)

And only if they could have more teams...

And i dont think the blue flag rule is really fair. Faster cars should pass slower ones with their own skills, not by the flag!

But still man, F1 is great as it is right now!!!

akbar21881
akbar21881

20,000 rpm,1000 bhp and 600 kg? Wow!!!! thats sound about right. No, limit the weight to 550 kg and no wing please!!

powerful_paji
powerful_paji

:roll: I dont think formula1 has reached its utmost peak yet of power and revs... We saw in the mid 80's certainly in terms of world rallying cars reaching upto 600Bhp + and that is quite quick for a car running on normal roads with moderate spectator control... i think that is why the Group B cars were banned from Rallying... but in the case of formula1 we havent seen such threats and even if the cars are getting more power etc the lap times havent changed significantly for the past 5-6 years... probably just because the tracks keep getting altered every now and then!

What I think is f1 should go another 5-6 yrs of more development, more power, more electronics and lets see what happens! It is pinacle of motorsports after all! 8)

drspeed
drspeed

But how do you balance all that with safety? If cars get lighter and lighter, at some point, gravel run offs will be useless.

Or maybe put an early warning system ??

Steven
Owner

hmmm car weight restrictions are good at the moment, I would do nothing to change about that. Any setting of lower weight will increase speed, decrease thereby the safety, and higher the costs. The less the minimum weight is, the more teams will look for ways to decrease the weight. I think at the moment all teams are under that 600kg limit, although I doubt it with Minardi. Their chassis this year is REALLY appaling.

Limiting power output seems nothing to me for F1, it must remain something technical though. One year ago, the FIA had hoped to decrease the powers a little by introducing the one-weekend-engine rule. Now, I find it remarquable that engines are very reliable, and unlikely that we will see any decrease in power next year.

NickT

Hmmmm........ :idea:

Manditory front and rear wings and diffusers to, I think. Optimised for high drag, low down force and only allowing minor losses when following the car in front :D - which probably wont be a Toyota :wink:

Manditory brakes with atleast tripple the breaking distances :shock:

Bernie to distribute TV revenues equally and fairly amongest all the teams :twisted:
NickT