Renault Launch Control

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Renault Launch Control

'Renault have always had impressive speed off the line,'' said Niki Lauda, referring to Fernando Alonso's rocket-like start at Sepang, ''but what we saw (in Malaysia) was unusual.''

It is suggested that Renault could be running a form of launch control, despite the fact that the technology is not allowed.

I know there starts are the best, but I thought they had the most torque in there engines compared to the rest of the teams and because they have a lot of weight/ballast back in the car? I know they had to change there clutch system in 2005 because peopke were complainging that it was computer control, so they made a little lever to hold that clutch in place at the start for no spin starts.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

rsfocus
rsfocus

alonso has had his fair share of brilliant starts hasnt he...

Scuderia_Russ

I was surprised to see him start so well to be honest. Especially after reading that they have moved their weight bias more inline with other teams. The same article claimed that McLaren was moving more towards rear weight bias. This was in Autosport two weeks ago I think. Could just be a way of limiting rpm in a way that mimics launch control?

zac510
zac510

'milt' on AA forum suggested that they have worked with a NHRA drag racing launch engineer to develop a staged clutch launch control system.

I don't know if it is true but it a staged clutch system like that is the best possible explanation I have heard while still being within the rules.

Venom
Venom

Don't they move weight bias for handling issues such as to prevent understeer etc?

zac510
zac510

Venom wrote:Don't they move weight bias for handling issues such as to prevent understeer etc?
Yes. The first time Renault reported to have a larger rearward weight bias, they also had chronic understeer and front tyre wear.

There is no evidence of this anymore. The car is a well balanced race (and championship) winner.

I don't think the launch capabilities have anything to do with weight balance anymore.

dumrick
dumrick

For some years, the ability of the Renaults for fast launches relied on two factors: 1) the mentioned rear-biased weight distribution, providing better grip in the rear wheels; 2) the 6-speed gearbox, more simple and resistant than most of the other teams, allowing for higher torque use in the starts.

Since the weight distribution is said to be close to the other cars' now, and Renault has a 7-speed gearbox this season, only something like the mentioned staged clutch would be a (legal) explanation for what we've seen...

Spencifer_Murphy

I doubt they have what could be described as "Launch Control", its always been said that part of thier good starts was the weight bias, but surely it could be possible that their cars have an inherant design that permit good longitudinal grip from a standing start?

The idea of a staged clutch seems plausible, but I for one would not consider that to be a bending or breaking of the rules, just a piece of engineering brilliance.

i.e:
"We have to stop the clutch from slipping to aide good starts"
"Okay we'll build a better clutch"

whats wrong with that? Bending wings is quite clearly against the spirit of the rules, a staged clutch really isnt is it (Unless itrs an electronic gizmo which produces this effect) in which case I'd say it is, the lauch control ban is all about the electrical gizmo's...speaking of which ban TC again please! Sort the men from the boys! but thats OT...sorry :oops:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

what exactly is a staged clutch?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

A staged clutch that is a clutch that once initially released, allows a lot of slip. At certain RPM levels, counterweights built into the clutch move and allow more engagement, and thus more torque. This way, the clutch engagement and torque at the rear wheels is controlled, and metered out to give maxiumum forward momentum, with minimal wheelspin or chance of engine dropping too low in RPM. It's like a very talented driver letting the clutch pedal out as the car accelerates, but purely automatically.
In a staged clutch, the driver just brings the engine to a certain RPM, and when the red lights go out, just releases a level, or pedal, or a button, whatever the type of signal decided on. Then, the driver just keeps the gas to the floor and the car accelerates in an optimum acceleration. It does abuse the clutch, but is purely mechanical, without any electronic or additional input.
http://www.hawayaracing.com/driveline.htm
http://www.quarterjr.com/clutch_pro.htm

jaslfc
jaslfc

renault has been having a very good launch.. maybe because of the design.. maybe because of the traction control.(they have settings for start of the race) but we have to remember they overtook the williams.. williams for the last few years never had good starts.. so maybe abit of both contributed to his superb start