2015 Austrian Grand Prix - 19-21 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2015 Austrian Grand Prix - 19-21 June

About Raikkonen's crash:
"No driver was at fault." Who was is then, what caused the car moving? Was it a divine intervention, ghosts, another unexplained case? Someone else was moving steering wheel left and right after losing control? They're not even trying to pretend. Whereas Bianchi - driving too fast, simple case, when a crane is seen in the distance = stop the race for half an hour, safety first; 0,2 s speeding after safety car 5 seconds penalty no mercy because that's dangerous #-o .

Andres125sx

- Great race for Rosberg, and more hopes for us to see an exciting season regarding title fight, let see how long it takes to return us to reality

- Verstappen vs Maldonado.... That was tense. I wonder what was thinking the producer to not keep a camera on that fight constantly, it was a matter of time something will happen. Great move and save for Pastor, thumbs up. And great race for Max too

- Kimi losing the rear again. Suposedly past season he underperformed because the car didn´t fit his driving style, he prefers a car with nervous rear and F-14T was not that car, now this season it does, and he spin and ruin two races in a row #-o

- Honda.... no coments needed... #-o

- Sainz, how many races have been ruined because of a pit-stop problem? He retired because they lost the ES, but watching another pit-stop problem with a wheel was painful. Anycase awful weekend, poor qualifying, pit-stop problems and finally ES failure

- Hulkemberg is on fire, impressive 10 days for him =D>

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:About Raikkonen's crash:
"No driver was at fault." Who was is then, what caused the car moving? Was it a divine intervention, ghosts, another unexplained case?
Do you understand the concept of race incident?

This is racing, you can´t punish a driver because of losing control when he´s going to the limit. No driver at fault does not mean there was no mistakes, but there was no unsafe or imprudent behaviour.

gary123

f1316
f1316

J0rd4n wrote: The Mercedes engine still has a clear advantage over the Ferrari in all conditions. Case closed.
Yep, I think that's fair to say.

Fyi though (for the benefit of others), I personally never said any different. I always maintained that Mercedes had an advantage but I also go off what the data is indicating, not a desire to believe that my favourite is by far and away the best (It's not just disappointing for Ferrari fans that the gap was quite big today, it's disappointing for any non Mercedes fans).

zeph
zeph

Excellent start and race by Rosberg, nobody can play down his performance today. Great effort by Massa, too, he is still one of faves and I'm always glad to see him doing well when bad luck decides to leave him alone for a weekend.

Merc's dominance seems to only increase, if anything. It looks like Ferrari is a comfortable second, but nothing more. So even though McLaren-Honda was absolutely atrocious once again, Alonso's assessment of Ferrari seems to hold out so far. He may be right about the Scuderia, but I don't see how McH is going to be competitive even by next season, at this rate, so his gamble does not seem like it will pay off.

It is exceedingly rare for me, but coincidentally I happened to pick the top 5 right this time!

andreag
andreag

Andres125sx wrote:This is racing, you can´t punish a driver because of losing control when he´s going to the limit. No driver at fault does not mean there was no mistakes, but there was no unsafe or imprudent behaviour.
Well, at least Charlie Whiting can. He already did it to Alonso in Monaco for a similar incident but with much smaller consequences.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I don't think the Ferrari engine is so far behind, but IMO, we now the Ferrari team had a great engine who produce half of the performance, but the aero is clearly far behind Mercedes and for the chassis wait for more chassis race. Because when ur engine is good, the brakes looks better and stable (harvesting ERS), you can put more downforce, and with more downforce the chassis is more stable, and the tyre degradation is improve on long run (need less attack and speed in corner). Also MGU-K power deployment is faster, smoother power delivery helps tyre life in acceleration situations, increases acceleration more drivable car especially in wet conditions = makes chassis and aero look good and again less tyre deg.

In fact, the rest of Ferrari team are who ? Sauber a team end the last season with 0 point, and who need some funds, and Manor I don't need to explain and we put this last team out of any comparaison because they use 2014 engine.
Sauber with the situation I explained, and one random paid driver (Ericsson) plus a young rookie (Nasr) is near to Lotus And FI, and above the TR guys in constructor Champ' (31 for FI, 29 for Lotus, 21 for Sauber, 19 for TR).
We can also clearly see those two team Ferrari powered team are clearly high in the table in top speed trap (appart in qualifying when Merc us his OP boost).

I think the Ferrari PU is closer than we expect to the Merc PU (even if Merc focuses on reliability..), that's only Ferrari and Sauber who don't really use him at his best.

(PS : I'm not really a Ferrari fan in fact, that's the opposite McLaren and Lewis)
Last edited by Spoutnik on 21 Jun 2015, 20:10, edited 3 times in total.

iHpled
iHpled

andreag wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:This is racing, you can´t punish a driver because of losing control when he´s going to the limit. No driver at fault does not mean there was no mistakes, but there was no unsafe or imprudent behaviour.
Well, at least Charlie Whiting can. He already did it to Alonso in Monaco for a similar incident but with much smaller consequences.
Charlie hates racing :| , hence the penalty in Monaco for Alonso. Which was for me a clear racing incident.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Wow, unluckiest angle for Alonso to hit that barrier. before or after would have massively reduced impact forces

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Raikkonen deserve a penalty he never know how to put the throttle smoothly since the V6T-H.

iHpled
iHpled

Mandrake wrote:
Wow, unluckiest angle for Alonso to hit that barrier. before or after would have massively reduced impact forces
Impact was 34G, once again lateral. Alonso really unlucky with McHonda.

MercedesAMGSpy

Impressed by Max V today. I expected him to be a sitting duck on the straights, but he did a really good job.

Andres125sx

andreag wrote:
That incident was very different, Alonso pushed the other driver to the barriers trying to overtake. Let say he was too optimistic and there was no space, or that´s what CW must think

But here Kimi simply suffered too much wheelspin on first lap with many cars around, so I think there´s no reason for any penalty

Take into account Alonso is my favourite driver so I´m anything but biased with both incidents. I think Charlie was too strict with him specially considering it was Monaco so you need to make your own space, but I can understand his POV even when I disagree with the decision.

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Wow, that looks very scary! A hefty impact to Alonso at an angle that's not ideal, and Raikkonen's head looks dangerously close to the floor of the McLaren.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg